Elephant Soap Pics

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let's see giraffes, whales, and every other beautiful creature.

I'm thinking about more critters too, clhigh. If I can keep it simple enough, I think I can do it!

Those spots look to me like air bubbles and quite big ones.
There are certainly some air bubbles there fuzz-juzz. But I'm not quite convinced that's what the bulk of the spots are. It seems like scraping them would reveal a pocket, but it doesn't look that way with the naked eye. I have a magnifying glass somewhere - maybe it will help me figure it out.

Those soaps are beautiful! Truly a work of art! Are you going to sell them? My sister works for WWF in DC and I'd love to send her a link!

You demonstrated that the sky was the limit -- and elephants can fly!

Yes indeed, the sky's the limit and elephants really can fly. :D You've gone above and beyond proving that. I'm still totally blown away and couldn't in my wildest dreams have imagined how utterly splendid your soaps would turn out. The stearic spots, if that's what they are, mean NOTHING! I myself was far too busy being totally overwhelmed by awe to even notice them. If you hadn't mentioned them, I would probably still be blind to them! :lol:

This is for you! I wanted to give you a Gold Star Award, but that's so cliché, so instead, here's a virtual blanket toss! :lol:

The sky's the limit! :D

blanket-toss.jpg

Love that, Tienne!

They may be bubbles but the spots of concern look more crystal-ly to me. I've had this happen with soap that doesn't have a high stearic number too so maybe it's not stearic spots but something else. I've cut them off and then the cut surface will develop them too. I'm not certain but it does seem more prominent in soap that I've stuck in the fridge or cooled down too quickly. Nonetheless, people really won't see them, truly.

I put a post about the spots in your thread on the CP forum as well.

Last edited:
I just showed my bf these, and he said they are amazing. and when I looked at them again, I noticed all the half elephants have different expressions on them. just absolutely beautiful. still in awe that those are made with soap.

Majority of them did look like air bubbles, but I was on my mobile and photos were small. They still look like air bubbles on computer screen, but that's just me and photos can be deceiving. They look like air bubbles, with some of them popped as the bars were cut, and some of them still close to the surface and looking a bit different.
I've been visited by bubbles gremlins lately almost all the time. :problem: I tried every technique I could google to stop bubbles appearing but with no luck. I made an avocado soap yesterday it looked good before cutting, but few bars into cutting and surprise surprise, bubbles galore.
Does anything oozes when you pop them or they are just empty? I hope you will work it out, but soaps still look gorgeous. :)

CaraBou, your elephant soaps are breathtaking - truly something to aspire to! What a beautiful portrait of a majestic animal. I was puzzling over how in the world you created such an amazing design, and my husband looked over and commented, "Some people just have advanced soapmaking kung fu." Mystery solved. :D

Weeeeeeee, a blanket toss, thanks Tienne! They are part of Native Alaskan culture but I'm pretty sure this is the only one I'll get to experience - lol!

I noticed all the half elephants have different expressions on them. just absolutely beautiful.

neeners, this is my favorite part. I really wasn't sure this soap was going to turn out, so when I started to see with every cut that the eyes were unique and in the right place, I was so relieved! They are all different b/c I wasn't exactly sure how to get a good effect -- so didn't take just one approach. This turned out to be lucky for me since it gave them all different personalities. Bad thing is, I probably can't repeat it!

I was puzzling over how in the world you created such an amazing design, and my husband looked over and commented, "Some people just have advanced soapmaking kung fu." Mystery solved. :D

Ahhhh Grasshopper...Listen for the color of the sky. Look for the sound of the hummingbird's wings. Search the air for the perfume of ice on a hot day. If you have found these things... YOU TOO CAN MAKE ELEPHANT SOAP!

Are you going to sell them? My sister works for WWF in DC and I'd love to send her a link!

Kaliquen, I don't sell. At most, these will go in a silent auction. But it will really depend on how my friend sets up her fundraising event. I am not adverse to these going as raffle prizes or even table favors, as long as somehow they bring extra generosity to her cause. But you should send your sister the main link to SMF -- then maybe she can share your passion for the wonderful art of soapmaking!

Latest posts

Back