Elephant Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting. There could have been more cooling than I normally have with soap still out of the mold, especially with the last pour (the face). Also, this is the first time I ever used the microwave to melt my oils - usually I do stove top. I was afraid of getting them too hot so went easy, low power, short bursts, etc. I was a little uncertain about it as my oils weren't as clear, so I ended up rezapping before adding lye. Ultimately temps were in 90s when I added lye, which I bought was adequate given I often work with much cooler milk soaps.

DId you gel? It looks like you did. I am wondering if the trick to avoiding these things is to not uncover it or cool it down too quickly from the gel state. I usually gel so I don't know if these would develop if just your batter cooled down too quickly.

Lindy, for three months I couldn't think up anything that was "elephant enough" for the cause - at least not that I could actually carry out. I kept looking through zillions of soap and elephant pics, and while I saw tons of beauty, I had no idea what to do. I think I got too caught up in assuming the elephant would have to be abstract if it was going to be in a bar of soap. But finally it hit me: why does it have to be abstract? Why can't it be literal? Why can't I just draw an elephant with a pencil line??

My first drawings were too complicated, so I just kept simplifying it. I knew it had to be simple if I was going to carry it out. In the end it really was my lack of imagination that got me to what I have!:oops:

DId you gel? It looks like you did. I am wondering if the trick to avoiding these things is to not uncover it or cool it down too quickly from the gel state.

I did gel -- or at least I think I did. Well I meant to anyway. I did adjust the towel a couple times, but it stayed covered for about 24.

So amazingly beautiful! But how on earth do you do that type of detail? And pour it to the right depths for each part of the lines? My mind is just spinning trying to think of how that is possible... That is soooo amazing! They are absolutely perfect!

My first drawings were too complicated, so I just kept simplifying it. I knew it had to be simple if I was going to carry it out. In the end it really was my lack of imagination that got me to what I have!:oops:

I can't imagine how you felt when you first cut these. I know I would have been jumping up and down, screaming my lungs out with excitement and joy.

You have truly elevated the craft of making soap, into the realm of art.

But how on earth do you do that type of detail? And pour it to the right depths for each part of the lines? My mind is just spinning trying to think of how that is possible...

grayceworks, something dixiedragon said way above really struck me:
"You can actually do really cool things with a log mold if you sort of reorient your mind's eye." With this, I discovered new dimensions I hadn't previously thought of. Marking off my mold was critical to that.

You have truly elevated the craft of making soap, into the realm of art.

MzMolly, you aren't the first to say something like this about the elephant soap. But I strongly disagree and think I really need to address that b/c it feels wrong to get that kind of credit. Soapmaking has been an art long before this. It is a big part of what pulled me so forcefully into the craft, and I suspect most of the rest of you could say the same. These are cool, ya, but it was just a different way of looking at the mold, like dixiedragon had advised. I appreciate all of the kind words, but it just feels weird to take it that far.

I have to figure out how to get some of this stuff in the other thread, too, because the conversation seems split in half. I guess I'm feeling like one of my elephants!

Back