Egg yolk soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is a picture of my egg yolk soap which I made yesterday :D

bsi4j9nmygpu84bp1.jpg

Hey, since a duck egg is 13% fat, would that need to be accounted for in the lye calculation. Do any of the soapcalcs have a value for egg oil? Does it make soaps vulnerable to DOS?

My SIL has ducks and chickens. She prefers eating duck eggs to the chicken eggs. I have never tried duck eggs in soap, but I absolutely do not like the taste of them for eating. So if she lived closer, I would try them in soap if she gave me any.

I have not had any DOS with any of my egg soaps, but I am sure it is possible if the right conditions were to exist.

I have not run across a lye calculator that lists eggs. But you can find more information on how to do the calculations here: https://classicbells.com/soap/eggSoap.html

@Chickenpoopshoes this is an old thread. if you would like to start a new discussion, you can create a new thread and link back to this original thread. You'll probably get more interaction that way.

Hey, since a duck egg is 13% fat, would that need to be accounted for in the lye calculation. Do any of the soapcalcs have a value for egg oil? Does it make soaps vulnerable to DOS?

Interesting question. I've never done a soap with egg yolk. I'd be surprised if any of the soap calculators had it but I haven't used them all.

Best analogy I can think of is using milk of some type. When I've put goat milk in my soap I've always put it in as an additive and not considered it in the lye calculation. Any contribution from the milk fat becomes superfat at that point. Whether that makes you vulnerable to DOS I don't know, I would think that if you didn't go overboard with your SF it wouldn't be any more of a problem than usual, but if anyone has any more expertise on that I'd be interested too.

I made egg yolk soap for Easter. It turned out perfect, they are so cute! I made the yolks in spherical molds, then used egg shaped molds (like a boiled egg split into half lengthwise) to pour the "whites" into. I embedded the yolks into the egg mold. They look just like boiled eggs! I used one egg yolk for a recipe that would fit in a 10 inch loaf. We have laying hens that free range, so the soap turned out more cream colored than a pure white. I did add a little TD to it. I'd be interested to know If anyone locates a lye calculator that has egg yolk listed in the oils.

I made egg yolk soap for Easter. It turned out perfect, they are so cute! I made the yolks in spherical molds, then used egg shaped molds (like a boiled egg split into half lengthwise) to pour the "whites" into. I embedded the yolks into the egg mold. They look just like boiled eggs! I used one egg yolk for a recipe that would fit in a 10 inch loaf. We have laying hens that free range, so the soap turned out more cream colored than a pure white. I did add a little TD to it. I'd be interested to know If anyone locates a lye calculator that has egg yolk listed in the oils.
I used Jan Berry's Vanilla Bean Egg Yolk Soap recipe.

Wow! Those are so realist looking, I hope nobody shoves one in their mouths! I am tempted to grab a salt & pepper shaker and get set to partake of a nice Easter snack!
Haha! Thanks! My husband has "sampled" my batter before, boy was he surprised!!!

Latest posts

Back