Egg yolk soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok it is cut and it has this weird green color in the middles. i am sure it is going to go away though since the ends are already just a creamy pale yellow-ish white. i already tried some of the scraps and the lather is very creamy and white.

i took a pic with the end and part of a middle bar so that you can really see the colors. also took it on a stark white table so that you can see the true color of the soap.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Lindy said:
I use one yolk PPO - the difference in the soap is truly amazing - the lather is rich and deep as well as hugely conditioning.

You do need to temper the egg yolk. The way to do it is to beat the yolk first then add warm oils and beat - then add back into the oils without your lye and blend it really, really well, then you can add your lye and soap as usual. This is best made RTCP. One of my favourite soaps!

Just wanted to say thank you for the good advice. This was so much easier than trying to add the egg/oil mixture to soap at thin trace. I used 2 whole eggs instead of just egg yolks and soaped at about room temp. I could only get soap to thin trace, but it turned out looking great. Here is a picture. Thanks again for the tip.
EggSoap.jpg

my green stage has ended, it took a few days, and now all of my soaps are nice and creamy white. not a hint of true yellow.

Thanks Irena. I stick blended the mixture for a long time until I decided that it was going to come to a thicker trace. I decided to pour it in the mold to see what happened. Fortunately, it hardened into a decent soap.

lsg said:
I used 2 whole eggs instead of just egg yolks

I had read everyone was getting cooked egg white bits in their soap with whole eggs or eggs where the chalaza hadn't been removed from the yolk.

So none of that happened to you?

Any white bits in the soap??

I removed all of the ropey white stuff that I could. I had no bits of cooked eggs using the method suggested by Lindy. I used the stick blender to beat the whole eggs, added some warm oil to the eggs, beat that mixture and added it to the rest of the oils, beat that together with the stick blender then added the lye and blended to thin trace.

I've tried this one too yesterday, it's now sitting in the moulds waiting to be ready to come out. It has become that weir greenish look some of you were talking about, but I don't worry since you said it goes away with time.
Can't wait to try it on my hair!! Plus I used creamed coconut for the first time in my soap, can't wait to see if that makes any difference...

I used egg yolk in my recipe yesterday and am wondering if I maybe made a mistake. I soaped at rt and decided not to gell. Was this wrong because of the egg? Is it possible that the soap will go bad because the egg didn't heat up? Just wondering.

I'm really glad I came across this thread as I'm hoping to make a batch of shampoo bars today and never thought to add egg, even though I have in the past!
It'll only be a small batch so 1 egg yolk will suffice....will post pics when it's demoulded and cut(probably a few days) :D

I just made a batch last night for some of my friends that are having Chemo/Radiation. I used my normal recipe that I make for them and added 2 egg yolks. I hope this makes it even better for them <3

i made egg yolk & cow's milk soap a couple weeks ago, and tried it out today in the shower (i'm impatient! can't help myself). it was fabulous! so smooth and luxurious feeling.

but i neglected to remove the chalaza, so there's little white specks in the soap that i could feel on my skin. i'll just pretend they're for exfoliation!

i added 3 yolks straight to 26 oz of warm oils, and stick blended til homogenous before pouring in the lye water. it worked really well.

the color was pretty green after unmolding the next day, and smelled absolutely eggy. it went away after a few days though.

I made an yolk soap yesterday and here is the picture.

The bar in the middle has a dark spot, it's actually green and when I poke it, there's nothing like weird powder or something, it's just a spot. I freak out when I saw the grain (that i have never experimented before), and the eggy smell. But reading this make me feel much more confident :p
http://flic.kr/p/9oxk4i

my egg soap

I tried putting 2 goose eggs in my soap batch today. I tempered the egg yolks and gave the whites to the dogs. The yolks blended in nicely and the soap looked like lemon pudding, so I put lemon EO in it for scent. I will let you know how it turns out.

ohhh i'm just curious how you guys are listing egg in your ingredients? i've tried to snoop around here, but I haven't found any examples..
I was just afraid it might look off-putting (inci names can be awkward haha)..

I definitely want to try this

ministeph said:
ohhh i'm just curious how you guys are listing egg in your ingredients? i've tried to snoop around here, but I haven't found any examples..
I was just afraid it might look off-putting (inci names can be awkward haha)..

I definitely want to try this

A quick google search shows just "egg yolk" for someone selling it online, a description of what the egg yolk is for on each page with that ingredient might make it a little less off-putting :)

Back