Egg yolk soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i have seen it listed as ovum :shock: which is the correct way from what i remember, but i was kinda weirded out by the word because i only associated ovum with human females, lol

Lotioncrafters lists dry egg as Ovum. They list regular egg as egg. If you include a blurb on the label about added protein and lecithin of egg, then it might look great to the consumer even if you don't make any claims about the benefits of egg.

krissy said:
i have seen it listed as ovum :shock: which is the correct way from what i remember, but i was kinda weirded out by the word because i only associated ovum with human females, lol

hahah exactly!!!!

and thank you isg, that is a good idea :) Im really looking forward to trying this out!!

Anyone tried adding egg yolk to Nizzy's whipped soap recipe? I'm wondering if that would help keep the egg from curdling, perhaps removing the need to temper the yolk at all. I'm thinking it might remove the "cooked egg soap" problem some have had. Hmm...

i didnt temper my egg. i just soaped cooler and took out a cup of soap to mix the egg in then mixed that back in... wait... is that tempering?lol

I'm also curious about the shelf-life of y'all's egg soaps. I'm trying to remember how long the few of mine have lasted, but I think they were all used up by 12 wks. or so, so it's hard to say.

Green Monster

I made a Shea and Egg soap on Monday. I used 2 large goose egg yolks. It was a beautiful yellow when I poured it, but unmolded it todayand it is a very ugly green. I am withholding judgement for a couple of weeks, but it smells and looks awful. Bummer.

Re: Green Monster

foresthome said:
I made a Shea and Egg soap on Monday. I used 2 large goose egg yolks. It was a beautiful yellow when I poured it, but unmolded it todayand it is a very ugly green. I am withholding judgement for a couple of weeks, but it smells and looks awful. Bummer.

The scent will settle out. I find it smells awful for about a week and settles down. I've not had it turn green before :shock: it should change a bit, less us know how it turns out?

Goose eggs huh..... hmmmmm

After reading about the membrane issue, I put one of my farm egg yolks (which have a much denser and darker yolk than commercial eggs) in a fine wire-mesh strainer.

I broke it and had to push it around with my finger to get the thick yolk to leak through the wire. When it was all through, even though the yolk was clean from that slimy white thing (you know what I'm talking about!) there was still a yolk membrane left behind in the strainer. This method may save egg-yolk soaps from getting those funky clumps in it.

I'm trying my first egg yolk soap today in a goat's milk soap. I will report back in a few weeks!

I made a batch of lemon soap yesterday and added two egg yolks to a three pound batch. Should have added more. My lemon and lemongrass EO adds a tinge of color. Was hoping for more from the egg yolk. It's not a gelled soap so I'll have to let you know what I think in a month or so. It does look creamy, though. Glad to have that bit of info in my notes.

Reporting back after one week after straining egg yolk through wire mesh strainer.

For a 5 lb recipe:

I whipped 4 yolks into a cup of oil with a high speed blender, then blended with entire oil in recipe.
I used goat's milk frozen into ice cubes, so the milk/lye never got over 85 degrees. I mixed it with oils when they were both at 80 degrees.

I added 1 tablespoon honey for a preservative, and left it unscented.
The second batch I scented with FO.

I let the soap gel. I didn't get green tint, nor spots. I cut it the following day and it is the color of pine wood with the merest speckling, even throughout. There was a slight odor, but not one I would describe as egg, or bad-egg: a slightly sharp scent. I repeated with a batch with FO, and the scent of the FO is fine and the slight sharp smell is unnoticed under the FO.

I will report back after it has cured 6 weeks.

My ugly green batch has turned totally yellow and the bad scent is gone. I had added only a little lemon EO, but should have added more. It doesn't smell bad just no smell. It is still a little tacky to the touch, but has only cured for 2 weeks. I think it is going to be fine. I hope it is moisturizing.

Here it is

The egg yolk soap that turned an awful green and was stinky. I turned out kind of nice. I haven't used it yet it is too young. What do you think?
I like them the way they are, they have kind of an asian feel to them, my husband thinks that I should trim them up. So here is a picture of both. What do you think is best?

http://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee4 ... andegg.jpg

strained yolks

After 2 weeks my fresh goat's milk and strained yolk soap is fantastic. No specks, no smell, no rough spots. Super creamy. It's going to be my base formula from now on.

Great job with the egg yolk soap! It looks wonderful. Mine went through an ugly green thing but it's cured to a nice yellow and is great to wash with.

Wow, I have never thought of putting an egg itself into soap, this is really cool! Than you guys for sharing! I am going to have to try this out!

And, foresthome, I like the trimmed one better also, but both are nice!

Whoever mentioned the INCI name, we don't have one in the USA, but the British use "ovum" for both the who egg and the yolks, so distributors use that.

Back