Egg yolk soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BakingNana said:
Just made dog shampoo with 2 egg yolks and 30 oz. oils. The eggs were farm eggs and the yolks were really orange. Looks like lemon pie filling. I beat the EOs and some of the oils (110 F) into the yolks with a fork, then SB the yolk mixture into oils. No problems at all. Can't wait to see what it's like tomorrow.
I bet that's a pretty color.

BakingNana said:
The eggs were farm eggs and the yolks were really orange.

Me, too, BakingNana! I've got a fine lot of laying hens that provide us with more eggs than we use. That's one of the reasons I wanted to try this soap.

OK, here are pics of the dog shampoo. First pic is just overhead lighting; second is with photo light on it. The bar is an example of gel, ball not gelled. How can I describe the gel? Ummm, well, you know when you overcook a hardboiled egg and it gets the green sulfur rim around the yolk? That's the color the gelled soap reminds me of. Turned this weird sort of olive green tint. To keep the lovely yellow, I guess you'd need to prevent gel. In the mold about 36 hours before unmolding and cutting (not because it was soft or anything; I was out with hubby and didn't get it done till then). I should have waited at least another day before cutting, but I couldn't stand it and I had to see. Smelled terrible until this morning. Smells like the EOs now. At any rate, no problems at all with the egg yolks; tempered and added to oils. About 90 degrees (just guessing; oils were just warm).

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Nice - the colour will mellow out a bit and so does the scent. Wait until you try it! Forget about the dogs you are going to want to be washing with this.... LOL

I just wrote to the soapcalc dude asking him to add egg yolk to the soaping oils. Since an egg yolk has about 5 grams of fat... Not sure if he will, but it was worth a shot.

carebear said:
I just wrote to the soapcalc dude asking him to add egg yolk to the soaping oils. Since an egg yolk has about 5 grams of fat... Not sure if he will, but it was worth a shot.

Oh, good idea! I left the SF at 5 and it seems OK, but it'd be nice to be able to control it. Thanks for the comments, everyone. I think I will love this soap (as soap, tho, not shampoo...to much oil for human hair!). It's not zapping, so my little chi may be getting a bath soon.

4 week egg yolk soap update.

I really like the creamy lather! I will definitely do this again.

ETA: I took it in the shower just now and even used it on my hair (I use bar soap on my hair probably every two days or so, but not exclusively. I like using regular shampoo . . . so sue me!) and I liked it better on my hair than my shea butter soaps. It is silkier after blow-drying than with most of the bar soaps I've used. Just thought I'd throw that in there, FWIW.

GardenGirl said:
4 week egg yolk soap update.

I really like the creamy lather! I will definitely do this again.

ETA: I took it in the shower just now and even used it on my hair (I use bar soap on my hair probably every two days or so, but not exclusively. I like using regular shampoo . . . so sue me!) and I liked it better on my hair than my shea butter soaps. It is silkier after blow-drying than with most of the bar soaps I've used. Just thought I'd throw that in there, FWIW.

Same here. I'm lovin' this stuff. The odd green color I mentioned previously disappeared completely and it's now the lovely yellow again. Smells great, lather is amazing. Have a tester with psoriasis using it now. Curious to hear what she thinks. I didn't think the EOs were such a great idea for her, but she wanted to try it.

Hey. I am definitely going to try this. I have tons of farms around me. So fresh brown eggs would really set this off! So I am using Soampmaker 3, how do you account for this, as another liquid additive at ...?

i decided since the kids are now going to be home tomorrow (it's snowing like crazy here) to do it tonight. it is in the oven cooking now. i scented it with a Bert's Buttermilk Bath dupe and left it white, so hopefully it will come out creamy and buttermilk-ish white.

krissy said:
i decided since the kids are now going to be home tomorrow (it's snowing like crazy here) to do it tonight. it is in the oven cooking now. i scented it with a Bert's Buttermilk Bath dupe and left it white, so hopefully it will come out creamy and buttermilk-ish white.

I can't wait to see how this turns out! I just ordered that FO & was gonna try goat milk for it but this seems way less intimidating than milk.

srenee said:
Hey. I am definitely going to try this. I have tons of farms around me. So fresh brown eggs would really set this off! So I am using Soampmaker 3, how do you account for this, as another liquid additive at ...?

I really didn't bother to account for the egg yolks. I don't see anything about the finished soap to indicate that I should have done anything in particular to account for them. Just my personal experience of course.

The only way I accounted for the eggs was by backing off on a bit of my usual superfat. I wasn't sure if they would make it really fatty.

Anyway, I still love these bars but I bet you don't need to back off on the normal superfat, in retrospect. Next time, I won't.

tisci said:
krissy said:

I can't wait to see how this turns out! I just ordered that FO & was gonna try goat milk for it but this seems way less intimidating than milk.

the only thing that was disappointing to me about the scent OOB was i was thinking it'd be more "baby-ish" but it smells like OMH FO.

i am about to cut the soap and smell it and such. this is a scent i was told develops into something beautiful after about a week.

Back