Ebru Technique Soap Challenge

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good luck, everyone! I'm sure you all will blow me away!!

I did the same chloe lol! I ended up using the skewer to just swipe through all my attempts at a design and swirl it all around as I got so frustrated that I wasn't making the pattern I wanted. Soap batter isn't as fluid as oil based paint on water so I think it is harder to manipulate into the design you want, even when the soap is at very light trace. I wish I could have a practice on something that is the same texture as soap so that I can get my methods sorted.

I too am really excited to see all the entries, even though I don't have a hope of winning this time. I am still going to enter though as I figure I put so much effort in and as newbie says, we all like looking at all the other designs, no matter what.

GAWH!!!! ASH TOP!!!! My colors dulled out after sitting for 2 days. I haven't cut it yet, anything I can do to help it?
I think folks may be using "fuller water" in these in an effort to work the soap as long as possible. In my batches where I've tried this, ash was definitely more of an issue. Water takes it right off - assuming you don't have a fancy top of course.

I did the same chloe lol! I ended up using the skewer to just swipe through all my attempts at a design and swirl it all around as I got so frustrated that I wasn't making the pattern I wanted. Soap batter isn't as fluid as oil based paint on water so I think it is harder to manipulate into the design you want, even when the soap is at very light trace. I wish I could have a practice on something that is the same texture as soap so that I can get my methods sorted.

I too am really excited to see all the entries, even though I don't have a hope of winning this time. I am still going to enter though as I figure I put so much effort in and as newbie says, we all like looking at all the other designs, no matter what.

Lol! At least we can laugh about it now (although it is frustrating!). I'm debating whether or not to try the same design or simplify! Hmm. Ugh!!! So my colors and squeeze bottles to prepare then clean.

I think folks may be using "fuller water" in these in an effort to work the soap as long as possible. In my batches where I've tried this, ash was definitely more of an issue. Water takes it right off - assuming you don't have a fancy top of course.

Me too! Lots of ash! :(

This thread is at least helping me to realise that this challenge is harder than I thought, and that I'm not the only one who is having difficulties! I feel less of an incompetent soap maker now. :)

As for the ash, I make my soaps in a plastic box with a lid as a mould and I find that putting the lid on overnight helps to reduce ash.

Last edited:
This thread is at least helping me to realise that this challenge is harder than I thought, and that I'm not the only one who is having difficulties! I feel less of an incompetent soap maker now. :)

As for the ash, I make my soaps in a plastic box with a lid as a mould and I find that putting the lid on overnight helps to reduce ash.

Good call with the lid! I used a lid too, but my detail work took so long that I think it didn't matter much. I was able to get most of the ash off and posted my blog post about the soap. So....if you don't want to see it before voting...don't click through to my blog. If curiosity killed the cat...feel free to click through and let me know what you think :)

That's awesome Julie ... it's sort of like an aplique where you use different techniques as if they were different media.

bob-ross3.jpg

That's awesome Julie ... it's sort of like an aplique where you use different techniques as if they were different media.

bob-ross3.jpg

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!! I used to love to watch this guy paint!!! He and Bill Alexander with his "almighty brush". LOL :)

Beautiful job, Julie! You definitely have a lot more patience than I do. I think it turned out terrific and your inspiration story is so beautiful. After all that work you HAVE to enter it! :thumbup:

Thanks :) 5 hours only felt like maybe an hour. This is how I know that I really love soaping...time passes so quickly and I don't even realize it! I cannot wait to see everyone elses' creations!

Oh I love it! Well done!!

I'm going to attempt mine but I can't imagine it turning out as good as yours!!

Shouldn't be the inspiration also be Ebru? :think: That's how I understand the 3rd guideline: "3. You will need to include the inspiration for your soap in your entry – in your blog post, Facebook caption, Pinterest album, or YouTube Video, demonstrating that it is an Ebru technique, whether in photo or video form."

Latest posts

Back