Ebru Technique Soap Challenge

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would love to try your recipe, I use lard all the time. I think I'm going to try this challenge this time.
My very slow trace recipe is 34% Lard, 34% Olive Oil, 17% Coconut Oil and 15% Avocado with a 3% superfat. You probably could up the Coconut Oil and up the superfat since this is not a big bubbly bar of soap. I also use Citric Acid @ 2% and Sugar to help some bubbles. I have added 2-3% castor oil and it changes the trace time considerably. So, so much for thinking any oil under 5% is useless:grin:
Forgot to mention I soap this with a 37% lye concentration (not water as percent of oil)

Last edited:
I think yes. She stated pour anyway you want,
Amy said: " You may pour the soap in the mold in any variety of patterns that mimic an Ebru technique, ". That doesn't give us a lot of choice - let's say we cannot pour soap batter in stripes, can we? :roll:

I'm signed up! But I'm nearing my due date (I'm pregnant!) and it's so hard to stand! Might have to try though!

I find squeeze bottles a pain no matter what but I started letting mine sit for a long time, so it's for certain fully saponified. Then I fill them with hot water and let them soak in the sink. After a day, the soap is completely squishy and then I can shake and squeeze most or all of it out. Don't worry about the pipes that way. Then I run them through the DW and toss them back in the storage box. Too much wasted soap in there no matter which way you slice it so I use them only when I feel like I have to.
These are really neat squeeze bottle that you can actually scrape out with a spatula and they hold 16 oz. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007OM9W2E/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20. I scrape all I can out with a spatula and paper towels then wash with a degreaser when I am done soaping, pour the water into an empty 5 gallon bucket dump in some vinegar and toss it over the bank.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you'd be able to pour batter in stripes, but I'm not certain I'm reading it right. Perhaps we should all ask for clarification. Again.

I emailed her to understand the rules before I signed up and her response was this, which is the entire thing: "It's simply free-hand ebru design on a slab mold. You need to be able to share your inspiration to show it is an ebru-inspired design."

Free hand means one skewer, no combs. She doesn't say you can't pour in stripes or bulls eyes or anything like that. Or do people have a different understanding?

Last edited:
I'm really worried about soda ash forming on the top. Whenever I poured at such a thin trace - If you can even call it a trace- I got sooooo much ash! I hope spraying with alcohol and covering it will help...

I always seem to get soda ash too. I suggest you take an in the mould pic as soon as you've filled the mould as Amy said that was acceptable. Then take more pics if you have managed to control the ash.

Last edited:
You may pour the soap in the mold in any variety of patterns that mimic an Ebru technique, but the only tool used the manipulate the soap once in the mold should be a single skewer or chopstick.

Ok, no tools at all except one skewer. She mentioned in the video it was to separate this challenge apart from the other comb challenges in the past.

So, the pout has to look like ebru technique.

I've seen ebru marbling bases poured in dots, swirled, or peacock or similar designs, hand swirled...then a top design was on it.

I'll ask on the challenge comments...

Edit. My comment wouldn't post, so I privately contracted her.Will update asap.

Last edited:
I am not even close to entering any kind of challenge, but can't wait to see all of your entries, ebru is one of the techniques where someone who can design/draw could really shine. LP, if your recent ebru swirl is an example of your stuff, there are going to be some beauties in this one.

Grumpy, ebru is the art of paper marbling. Liquid is dropped onto a liquid base, a skewer is used to design patterns (peacock for example) or objects (flowers for example). A paper is gently laid on top the liquid and the pattern transfers to the page. Well soaping is the same. But soap and no paper hehe.

Not ally, that's very nice of you to say. I have something more intricate in mind, but I fear my idea is bigger than my ability.

I wrote Amy, and received a clear response. A copy and paste...

My question
Comment: I have a question about the base pour. Are we allowed to pour the base of the soap into the mold in a creative different way, so long as the only tool used is a chopstick, and as long as the top design predominantly seen in the soap is ebru styled (proven with our inspiration photo), or does the base pour beneath the ebru designed tops need ebru influence as well?

The ebru background typically has many dots swirled with a chopstick or left alone, and sometimes it has peacock swirls and swirls of similar design. Then the ebru drawing is on top of that. Do we need the entire soap as ebru (base and all) or could we say spin swirl or drop swirl the base which technically isn't ebru influenced? This is per rule #2...Thx Amy!!!!

Response
Great question! I think as long as the chopstick is the only tool used and the top design is ebru style, that would fit the perimeters of the guidelines. :)

Amy Warden

Should I sign up for this? I'm not sure. It seems like it might be fun but I dont know if this is in my league or not.

I think if you are interested you should. My comment about Sonya was more in jest than anything. The contest is fun and the only way to get better is push yourself.

I didn't do the dessert challenge because those kinds of soaps do not seem fun. This one however... I am probably going to do it. :D

Go for it galaxy. I'm sure your entry will be great. I had an attempt today and my design ideas were crushed by my inability to get the batter to do what I wanted. Back to the drawing board!

I think if you are interested you should. My comment about Sonya was more in jest than anything. The contest is fun and the only way to get better is push yourself.

I didn't do the dessert challenge because those kinds of soaps do not seem fun. This one however... I am probably going to do it. :D

are you saying I'm NOT awesome??

are you saying I'm NOT awesome??

OMG!

No, you are awesome! I am saying competing against you (not really competing, as I am in no way good enough to be completion to anyone) is not going to stop me from entering. LOL

Sorry, my poor Texan grammar bit me in the ass.

I have never worked in a slab mold. I have never heard of ebru. I have only used color three times, with so-so results. However, this seems like it would be fun. I have a photo of a sunset my cousin took that I love. I've planned on using it as inspiration for hand painted handspun yarn; however, it may work for this challenge. Although I will probably not participate in the challenge, I may do it for kicks and giggles and post my photos here. If that is alright with y'all? (I have this weird habit of starting with the most difficult of projects. My first knitting project after learning to master a simple baby blanket using garter & stockinette stitches on a #13 circular needle was socks on a #2. That's when I learned about swatching and gauge. And heel turns and kirtchner...)

So, can photos be posted of the ebru challenge soaps if we don't actually participate in the real challenge? Or should a faux challenge thread be started?

I'm on the fence about this one. I've only done one soap challenge before, and I really enjoyed it. I didn't sign up for the dessert soaps, since I just wasn't really interested in that design. The Ebru designs look fun, but I'm prepping for my first farmers market of the season this weekend, so I'm not sure how much time I want to commit to a challenge. I'm really looking forward to seeing everyone's designs, though! Lots of room for creativity in this challenge.

I'm gonna go for it! My mom said to me the other day that I've really come a long way in my soaping (both artistically and recipe wise). It meant a lot to me since she has not a clue what goes into making it. I think A LOT of that has to do with this forum and even the one challenge I've done so far. I like challenging myself but sometimes I worry about joining b/c I can be too much of a perfectionist.

Little did I know that one little technique would lead to a Goliath of an undertaking!!! It all started when I found my inspiration picture...then it snowballed from there. Oh boy....I'm gonna need 10 hands to do what I'm planning :) Galaxy - PROUD OF YOU!!! You can do this!

Latest posts

Back