Ebru Technique Soap Challenge

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Truth be told, I have a cover on my phone that may have saved it but I don't know yet. A flap was open because I quickly unplugged it so I could document my soap process in case I used it (insert swearing like a sailor). I turned it off immediately and I won't turn it on again until my phone is done saponifying. (yes, I wiped it down)

SPLOOP!

IMG_8881.jpg

I guess I'm confused at what you guys are talking about when you say "inspired". To me the way I interpreted the rule was that you were supposed to be inspired by specific pieces of Ebru art. I was inspired by a few different techniques; swirl, Peacock, and hearts. I just chose to incorporate them into an original design versus exactly copying someone else's art work.

She was clear that it was not necessarily about copying someone else's design (thank the gods because who wants to be judged against someone who has mastered their craft of ebru? Not I.) but you do have to show that your techniques have been done in some way in ebru. I tried to do one that was very close to someone's art and if I had just done it all on my own, I would think it was pretty well done, but you put a pic of the artist's work by it? Looks very....amateurish, which of course it is.

I will be doing something more like what you did, Julie, taking ideas/techniques but making up a completely different look, but the influences are clearly ebru. I think you're good. If you are worried, I would quickly send Amy W an email and the link to your blog and ask her if it fits the guidelines. I'm sure she will answer you.

Last edited:
You are supposed to get one specific piece of art work and show that the techniques you are using is an ebru technique. If you found a beautiful teal and purple and light blue peacock swirl you don't make a teal and purple and light blue blue peacock swirl, instead you show that this is an ebru pattern and this is what inspired me to do my pattern. For me I found an inspirational photo I'm going to try this weekend, and use different colors for it, and include a totally different design that was not any part of my inspiration. The inspiration demonstrates it's an ebru technique and it doesn't have to be exactly the same.

I relooked at the blog and the red blue and yellow swirl design was your inspirational photo that you then interpret it into your own swirls. Whether or not you added hearts or this or that doesn't matter. You have the same technique of swirling as the inspiration photo, and that is adequate. You can do whatever else on top you want to do, but you don't have to copy someone else's exact work no. My opinion is you are fine with what you've shown, you might go ahead and put your inspirational swirl Ebru pattern at the top of your blog so people see this was my main ebru swirl inspirational photo so there is no question when people look. And if you're really still concerned shoot Amy an email and she can tell you if its ok or not.

Last edited:
Thanks newbie. I don't think I'll contacting Amy , I don't think I have a snowballs chance anyway against such amazing soapers! I'm just happy to be a part of it and I'm excited to see what everybody else comes up with… That's the fun of it for me!

The difficult thing about this is that a lot of ebru IS just swirls. Tons and tons of them are just patterns, not pictures, and many of the patterns (or non-patterned swirls) can be done with one skewer even if the ebru was done with a comb. My guess is that most people will end up doing some sort of non-pattern design but a pattern/swirl is completely legit.

I agree, some will just be patterns but lots will be pics, I don't think it matter which so long as it fits the brief.

Thanks for that. I guess I was also freaking because I thought the link up closed tomorrow. I didn't realized that it doesn't even OPEN till Wednesday. Phew! That means I have all weekend. I'm going to plan out my soap this time and go for it on tomorrow or Sunday.

Woooow. I really botched this second batch. I used olive oil pomace since I figured, eh, my design isn't THAT fancy. Boy did it trace suuuuper quick. Darn... Oh well. My "tool" in this case became my gloved hand plopping everything into the mold. At least it smells good! I wonder what it will look like when it is cut. Since this won't be my submission soap, I'll post it. It was supposed to be orange, blue and white. University of Florida Gators colors. The top is grey now. Hopefully the layered colors come thought though!

uploadfromtaptalk1434308198954.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1434308214801.jpg

Eta: oh yeah, and I'm not going to make another one. Just gonna go with my first one that I made...

This is a very difficult assignment - I've already made three batches, out of which: one was acceptable but nothing special (colours too dark), one separated and one accelerated too quickly. Gonna try once again today, but I am on the verge of not submitting my soap if this one does not go well. keep fingers crossed for all other strugglers!:) good luck

Julie, I found an Ebru tree that I'm using as my inspiration. I'm not copying it, but I am using it to fuel my creation, in a manner of speaking. I don't know if my tree will come out as nice as yours :) but I thought you should know that just because you didn't use a specific piece of Ebru art doesn't mean there aren't similar ones that could show that it is an Ebru technique.

By the way, I'm thinking of trying the challenge as a Castile instead of her Bastile. I'm planning an undoubtedly too-intricate design, so I want to make sure I have plenty of time, plus I think that a Castile would be fun to try as I've never done one before. I'm going to do a full slab design, so I'll be in no hurry to unmold and cut. I do realize I'm running out of time for the challenge if I screw it up though. Any thoughts?

As a soap, I am not a fan of Castile but many people like it, especially after it has aged a year. As a recipe to use for this sort of challenge, it would be fantastic. If you aren't in a rush to unmold, I think it's a great idea.

PS. I winced when I saw your soap, Galaxy!! I hope you don't mind that I laughed a little too.

Last edited:
As a soap, I am not a fan of Castile but many people like it, especially after it has aged a year. As a recipe to use for this sort of challenge, it would be fantastic. If you aren't in a rush to unmold, I think it's a great idea.

PS. I winced when I saw your soap, Galaxy!! I hope you don't mind that I laughed a little too.
I don't mind at all. I'm really curious to see what it looks like unmolded. But hey, "soap happens" amirite? Lol. It's turning pinkish grey now. Don't know what happened here. Probably my worst batch in I don't know... 2-3 years. Oy. At least it smells good. That's all I keep telling myself. Good candidate for felted soap!

Maaaaaybe I'll make another soap in a very small "slab" mold from one one my supply organization drawers. That's if I have boatloads of time. I'll be doing a true Castile soap next. I really do like them. And yes, unmolding takes foreva.

It wasn't the FO. It was the pomace oil because it started thickening as soon as I hit emulsification. It hit thick trace from emulsification in about 1 minute without additional agitation. The fragrances I have tested before and do not accelerate appreciably!

It was a mix of bb's fresh snow, sunny herb garden and Mike's fragrances tobaco and bay leaf (which smell noting like bb's and smells just like Colgate toothpaste) it is a clean refreshing scent mix. I love it.

Latest posts

Back