Ebru Technique Soap Challenge

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mazimazi

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

The registration for Soap Challenge is open. Will anyone else participate? This is my first ever soap challenge :) I am not super excited about the theme, I have absolutely no idea what design to make, but I am happy to at least try for the first time.

I thought maybe we could discuss our issues with the challenge here :)

Me! I am really excited about this one. I've already been researching Ebru art I would like to replicate. Tough choices!!!!

I would love to do an ebru challange, however I'm out of Cocoa butter & soap making will have to wait till I order some more, luckily I get paid wednesday, it will be more than a week before I get the cocoa butter though. Oh & I've never done a challange before so how much time is given in a challange to make the soap?

registration closes Monday the 8th. You have until Wednesday the 17th and submission opens. It remains open until Saturday the 20th when it closes and voting opens immediately. It remains open until Wednesday the 24th.

I'm in again. Been practicing and trying to sketch my idea out before I have a go at my contest one.

I would love to do an ebru challange, however I'm out of Cocoa butter & soap making will have to wait till I order some more, luckily I get paid wednesday, it will be more than a week before I get the cocoa butter though. Oh & I've never done a challange before so how much time is given in a challange to make the soap?
If not opposed to lard, an OO, Lard Coconut, sunflower / avocado, etc combo will give you a nice slow trace and is cheap to make. Adding in even 2% castor will change the trace quite a bit

I've had fun with my practices, but I want to take it to another level. The rule of "you can only use one skewer", aka no combs, makes it much more challenging. I've narrowed my designs down to three ideas now, but seeing as I am adamantly opposed to squirt bottles, I am having a hard time deciding which would work the best. I'm also having a hard time finding my inspiration photo that's required. I built my ideas off several sources, some if which weren't ebru...but could be accomplished with the ebru effect.

I'd love time to practice! Head stuck in my books - can't wait for this exam to be over on Friday!!

Did just have a sneaky look on the web to find my inspiration pic though

I'll be signing up for this one - much more up my street than the mini desserts!

I've had fun with my practices, but I want to take it to another level. The rule of "you can only use one skewer", aka no combs, makes it much more challenging. I've narrowed my designs down to three ideas now, but seeing as I am adamantly opposed to squirt bottles, I am having a hard time deciding which would work the best. I'm also having a hard time finding my inspiration photo that's required. I built my ideas off several sources, some if which weren't ebru...but could be accomplished with the ebru effect.
Why the opposition to squirt bottles, may I ask?

I want to do something really intricate. Need to work out how to best apply the batter. Got some ideas which I am going to try tomorrow. My first attempt was a fail.

Why the opposition to squirt bottles, may I ask?

Because they're a pain to clean. I let them sit overnight and once had zappy unsaponified soap the next day. Let it sit some more and it turned rock hard and was near impossible to clean. Then I once cleaned it immediately after making the soap, and we all know unsaponified soap isn't good on the pipes. It's just a pita to clean. I have started using only disposable cups to pour and am so spoiled by the clean up process, I've developed a loathing for squirt bottles.

If I had the wide mouth ones, a baby bottle brush scrubber, I'd be more willing to occasionally use them...until I make those purchases, however, I'm doing my darndest to avoid them.

Bratty huh lol?!

Is this similar?

https://youtube.com/watch?v=ZFuOjmqWgjQ

I had to google it.

Yes. That is ebru styled soap.

One skewer, but we can use anything to pour right?

I think yes. She stated pour anyway you want, but use only one skewer to design the ebru top of the batter.

Edit to say, I believe if you want a layer of DNA swirl or peacock swirl beneath, say , a floral bouquet, you'd still need to use a single skewer and not a comb tool since DNA and peacock swirls are technically ebru designs. Spoon swirl or drop swirl the base I'm sure is fine, for example, but if it's an ebru technique, only one skewer is allowed. That's my interpretation of it at least.

I find squeeze bottles a pain no matter what but I started letting mine sit for a long time, so it's for certain fully saponified. Then I fill them with hot water and let them soak in the sink. After a day, the soap is completely squishy and then I can shake and squeeze most or all of it out. Don't worry about the pipes that way. Then I run them through the DW and toss them back in the storage box. Too much wasted soap in there no matter which way you slice it so I use them only when I feel like I have to.

Back