do you make scents that you really cant stand?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

honor435

Reaction score
ok, I dont enjoy making scents that I dont like, but you have to please the people!
what scent cant you stand? 3 worst.
I will start : cherry almond
lavender( unless it has vanilla in it)
straight patchouli

I'm not a straight up lavender person either--but I do sort of like it mixed with vanilla. I'm not big on lilac either, but other people seem to like it.

oh yes!

My main ones are lavender and patchouli. When I first started selling I refused to make lavender soap. I hated it and thought it was sooooo cliche.

Well....every weekend...do you have lavender....do you have lavender....do you have patchouli? So I finally gave in and would sell out of those two every weekend!

Lesson learned. Make what you want but you also have to make what your customers want. Also...follow trends. Cupcake soap is hot right now and when I sold...I sold the heck out of cupcake soap.

two i can't stand that others love:

dragons blood -- made one batch, immediately hated it
bay rum -- made half a dozen batches before i started really disliking it

i can't bring myself to soap with either of them again though will have to do some bay rum because i get so many requests for it ;)

We make one using "Sand Dune" from WSP but people LOVE it - I think it smells like baby wipes (clean, not used!).

The other scent is Theives' Oil which we make in a lotion. It is very strong - we can only mix it up with the windows open and a fan blowing out!!!

Yep, Pachouli (sp?) is not a favorite of mine, but others seem to love it. That's about the only one I could live forever without. I'm one of those who loves lavender :oops:

Wow! So nice to hear other people struggle with FO. I have purchased a few FOa that I absolutely disliked when incorporated in to a product, these were the same scents that others have absolutely loved. Go figure!

I have to truly say I do not like straight Lavender either....I used Lavender with a little vanilla because I get people asking for it. For the past two craft fairs, I have gotten requests for Patchouli so I broke down and ordered some.....YUCK!!!

I guess it is a matter of preference so I will make at least one batch and see how it goes.

ikindred said:
For the past two craft fairs, I have gotten requests for Patchouli so I broke down and ordered some.....YUCK!!!

I guess it is a matter of preference so I will make at least one batch and see how it goes.

Try adding some orange EO. It really helps.

I hate Lavender - eekk. I have just soaped a Lavender, Cucumber and Sage soap - I'm not a fan. I never thought of adding Vanilla to lavender, I might try that.

I don't make many florals because I don't like them, but others do, so I might have to suck it up and make some.

I love patchoulli with orange - I don't make it but have had it in a swap and it has to be up there with my favourite scents - Yum

Ohhhhhh, yep..... Rockstar, I can't stand it, it reminds me of cough medicine, DD loves it as do others.
I brought one called Basel & Nectarine, I think it smells revolting in the bottle but quite like it in the soap. And then there's the Lemon Verbena, I think though that one was more disappointment in my expectations, I blame that on Laura Ingalls, i'm a big Little house on the prarie fan and she would always rave about the stuff so I had to try it lol. :roll:

I'm on the 'I hate straight up lavender in cp' train. The plant itself smells pretty good to me, but when it is in soap it morphs and smells like...I don't know, cat butt. But I've sold just about all that I've made, so I guess some like it.

I have to say I usually like the EO's, especially when soaped. I'm not a big fan of florals, although I have a few friends who love them.

I do not like florals or anything too perfumey.

Honey *L'Occitane* type by EBB is the most disgusting fragrance oil (so far) that I have ever, ever smelled.... and I like Honey fragrances.

Thank God I don't use any FO's or EO's. It saves me the money and the headaches. I don't sell yet but when I do sell, people will have to accept that my soaps are 'natural and unscented'.

I despised, HATED Ancient Sedona..and Black Tea was another one that I just could not stand. I did use Black Tea in a mix of scents once (I can't even remember now...I don't keep a log like I should). It was awesome in the blend and I wish I knew now what I had done.
I bought a 2 oz bottle of Patchouli a while back and soaped with it straight...hated that too. The bars have been sitting around for a while, and I grated them up with some Orange/Petitgrain scraps and some plain castile scraps and made big soap balls....AMAZING! I did another of the same mix, but added some baby rose scraps...also amazing. Baby Rose (BB) is also one that I hate OOB, it's soooo strong and it's got that powdery undertone to it, but if you go 1/2 oz per pound with it, it's nice.
I don't sell yet; it will be interesting to see how customers preferences differ from mine if I ever do.

Latest posts

Back