Can FOs discolor soap lather too?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewlyCreative

Reaction score
Has anyone had just the FO cause discoloration of the soap lather/residue (ie soap dish) to brown?

I used brambleberry’s hot cocoa and cinnamon FO in a soap made way back last July. It was one of my first FOs and I didn’t realize what 8% vanilla would do!

When I went to use the soap recently the lather was a blech brown. It discolored the soap dish brown, would run brown rivelets when used, was just not good with all the brown.

I thought the soap had gone rancid despite still having a lovely bubble, moisturizing feel, and cinnamony chocolatey scent. I tossed it all.

Then I read that just FOs with high vanillin content can discolor the lather - have you experienced this?

No colorants were used to make the soap. I pulled 20% to not add the FO to and used that to swirl into the FO.

I tossed it so I don’t have pics, and I need to search for the original recipe.

Last edited:
YES. Disgustingly and horribly, it is indeed fact, FOs can make the lather turn nauseating shades. Read about my adventures with Ron Burgundy:
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/thr...ath-of-cp-making-marathons.88922/#post-952029
I waited a full month, the soap always lathered up in horrifying baby-poo green. It was another level of disgrosting. Then I had the same with a fabulous smelling FO that seized, bled and made the lather look like I'd just washed my horse's bum. Just ugh.

YES. Disgustingly and horribly, it is indeed fact, FOs can make the lather turn nauseating shades. Read about my adventures with Ron Burgundy:
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/thr...ath-of-cp-making-marathons.88922/#post-952029
I waited a full month, the soap always lathered up in horrifying baby-poo green. It was another level of disgrosting. Then I had the same with a fabulous smelling FO that seized, bled and made the lather look like I'd just washed my horse's bum. Just ugh.
Oh wow, that was an adventure!

Yes - I just still can’t get over it happening. The strange thing is I do not remember the lather being brown in early Fall. I think I would have noticed it being this bad! It’s like it get worse over time! Plus it has a tinge of orange - like digestive illness poo. It was tragic!

[shudder] that is indeed tragic.

It might have just taken time to oxidize. If you take a bar and cut the exposed ends off, you may find it lathers fine... but the coloring will likely come back as the fresh cut areas mix with the air and oxidize again.

Latest posts

Back