True confessions and help needed… Patchouli

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
True confessions -
1. I don’t really like patchouli 😳
2. A few family members LOVE patchouli (like gaga for it, in fact)
3. I made a soap that was scented with only patchouli. It was just too much for me by itself and although they really liked it, I want to make soap that I enjoy making and sniffing
4. I have zero point zero experience or skills in blending FO/EO, or figuring out fragrance notes
5. I don’t know where to learn about blending, and am not confident at all that even if I did, I doubt if I could really do it well

So, if you have some advice on using patchouli, what to blend it with, ratios for blends - yadda yadda, I would really appreciate your advice. ☺️

@Zing, I seem to recall you do some fancy-schamchy ?patch-orange? that @KiwiMoose said was delicious?

Help, soapy pals, if you are so inclined? 🌸

I love patchouli. It blends perfectly with orange (if you use EO, use a folded one) - I like 3:1 orange:patch.

To test a blend, dip a q-tip in the EO/FO, or put drops on a cotton ball, and seal in a jar or plastic bag. Leave it for a few hours to a few days and see if you like it. I think just about any citrus fragrance would work. Lemongrass or lavender EO is nice. A jasmine or orange blossom FO would probably be another possibility if you want something more floral.

Patchouli and Lavender 50/50. I'm not a lavender fan but will tolerate it with the patchouli. Patchouli and orange 50/50. @Zing 's one is anise and patchouli, with orange and lavender I think - and it's divine, but very strong on the anise, which takes over ( the reason I like it) and your patch fans may be disappointed in that - if they don't get enough patchouli whiff. Patchouli and orange blossom FO or neroli is very nice, and a bit more floral.
My favourite is patchouli straight up - but if you have to blend it, those are my suggestions : )

Patchouli lime!! All day, every day! I do about 20% patch + 80% lime. Vanilla patchouli is nice, too.
Ewwwww - vanilla! The few times I have made vanilla flavoured things I thought it smelled very dark and cloying - for example a recent vanilla, patch sandalwood FO I used. Just awful! the only time I can tolerate vanilla is in BRV because you can't even smell it in that mix.

I love patchouli. It blends perfectly with orange (if you use EO, use a folded one) - I like 3:1 orange:patch.

To test a blend, dip a q-tip in the EO/FO, or put drops on a cotton ball, and seal in a jar or plastic bag. Leave it for a few hours to a few days and see if you like it. I think just about any citrus fragrance would work. Lemongrass or lavender EO is nice. A jasmine or orange blossom FO would probably be another possibility if you want something more floral.
Thank you, @dibbles - what is “folded”? I have orange 10x from BB…. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Sweet, @AliOop, I have Lime! I saw @Catscankim say something about lime, so I picked some up!

I’m with @KiwiMoose - it’s a no go on the vanilla for me, too! Same thoughts on the BRV. 🙃🙃🙃

This is super helpful for my future patch soaping session. Y’all rock! 🌸

I love patchouli! My husband hates it! When we got together I promised I would stop wearing patchouli if he would keep the cat out of the bedroom (lol).

I've made several patchouli blends that he (and others who don't like patchouli) love using the blends from Blends Archive » EO Calc - Essential Oil Calculator
Bamboo and Clarity are big favorites.

I have noticed where I purchase the patchouli and how long it's been aged determines if I like it or not. I love patchouli from NewdirectionsAromatics. Can't stand the patchouli from Liberty Naturals, even the aged one. A good aged patchouli with orange or litsea cubeba is a perfume on its own.

Last edited:
Am late to the party. I just recently discovered patch and LOVE the blends. Not a big lavender fan but really like a patch and lavender EO 50/50 blend. My other blends are patch & lime; also patchouli, orange, anise, lavender in equal parts. I frequently refer to https://www.modernsoapmaking.com/bl...s-for-soapmaking-starter-essential-oil-blends . I used to do a lot of experimenting with cotton balls in bags -- but now I just trust eocalc -- have always had a good experience.

Ugh, I hate patchouli! I had a little 30ml bottle that I inherited from someone and I decided to use it in a blend with orange, litsea and ginger and all I could smell was the patchouli! And now there must be a little bit in my essential oil bin, because I keep getting it on my fingers! Never again!

Ugh, I hate patchouli! I had a little 30ml bottle that I inherited from someone and I decided to use it in a blend with orange, litsea and ginger and all I could smell was the patchouli! And now there must be a little bit in my essential oil bin, because I keep getting it on my fingers! Never again!
I used to feel the same way until I smelled a good, aged patchouli. The cheap stuff is NAS-TEE. 🤮 But even with the good stuff, a little goes a long way, and I only use it in blends where it is the smallest percentage.

I have to confess, the 2 blends I tried recommended here were pretty nice - lavender patch and patchouli lime. And while nice, Mom and Auntie and Brother all keep insisting to up the patchouli! I really think I need to make them a leave on product for what they want…. 🌸

Latest posts

Back