DO NOT drop your red mica!!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the great red mica spill of 2021.
1633387010487.png

Late to the party but totally agree with the recommendation to vacuum first, then use rubbing alcohol to get up the remainders. Love the idea of tossing the clothes! I may have to *accidentally* spill some mica here and there to so I can toss a few things and buy some new ones. 😁

This reminds me of the time I was walking up my basement stairs while shaking a gallon can of purple wall paint. Turns out, the lid was not properly hammered down the previous time it was opened. The lid flew off and it spilled ALL OVER my arms, pants, shoes, and basements stairs; it looked like Barney melted on them. NIGHTMARE!!!! Was able to save about half the can. And I cleaned it quickly and easily. I was very proud of the before and after.

OMG I feel so sorry for you. Knock wood I have not had it happen to me, but I worry about it every time I use mica.

Worst I had was when soaping with a friend who managed to wipe out a small (luckily) container of FO all over my kitchen...it went as far as the dining area, but not on the ceiling! Thank goodness. Itw as summer and we had all the windows open so the scent was not as noticeable after 24 hours AND all the cloths and wipes were either laundered twice or tossed out.
EDIT: I’m generally NOT a clumsy person. This is a sign that I’m stressed. Dropped my red mica off the side of the kitchen bench. Some of it end up on the overhead cupboards on the other side of the kitchen! Looks like there’s been a bloody murder.
Surprisingly, there’s still well over half the little 50g pot left, so it wasn’t much, but boy, that stuff makes a mess. It’s even in the drawer that was left open.View attachment 61429View attachment 61430View attachment 61431View attachment 61432View attachment 61433View attachment 61434View attachment 61435View attachment 61436
Did you notice Thing 1 and Thing 2 spreading that mica around? How about the Cat in the Hat?

If you hadn't aimed for red soap, you hadn't invested into red mica in the first place??? Everything fine, what are you complaining about?

Go ahead everyone - have a good laugh at my expense. (There's still bits of red mica popping up everywhere in nooks and crannies all over the kitchen). 👠🍄🌹🍎🍒🥤🥊🚗⛽🎈📮❌🔴💄👺😡
My :mad: reaction emoji is actually a 🤣, but it caught some of the mica as well.

Tis the season for dropsies. My little cup.of green mica slipped out of my hand and into the hot soap jug. Luckily it was supposed to go in there but shiny green mica went everywhere in the short fall. I recommend the bucket soak too so you don't have to bleach your washer. And I feel your pain. I'm glad you still have loads of your mica to soap with.

Sorry to hear this though I never did find it funny myself.
Probably because I've done something similar more than once.
The one I dreaded the most was the snowflake glitter Micah from Brambleberry.
Apparently they didn't think putting a piece of tape on the lid was as good an idea as I did.
I opened the box and a tablespoon or so of that microfine glitter and white Mica went everywhere.
The lid was very loose and micah and glitter were all over inside the box.
I was sitting on the couch in the living room so it was all over the carpet the couch and my clothes.
Brambleberry sent me another jar for free but I told them to make sure to put some tape on it this time which they did.

Last edited:
You just saved my sanity. I just lost 5 lbs of pumpkin soap. It blew up in the slow cooker and looked like 5 lbs of caustic, oily puke all over the walls, table, phone charger, slow cooker etc. I just wanted to cry, but what are you going to do? I hope you got it out. My husband who has worked homicide as an officer said yours looked like a crime scene. So, if you're going to go, go big. ;) Good job!

Well it seems to me that one should not drop any type of coloring powder at all. Makes sense to me.

Back