Different swirl technique?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brain fart, can't remember the name. But it is plastic sheets that you can get at a craft store, and it's often recommended for lining circular column molds. Quilt liners? Something like that? It's a tough plastic so I think you could cut it into strips like in your picture, fold it and possible iron the folds so it maintains that shape.

Your swirls look great!

I think you are thinking of Mylar

Progress - finally

Hey All,
Just to follow up on this old thread... I finally stopped by my friendly neighborhood steel yard. After wandering around for a while I found a 1' x 2' piece of 20gauge stainless. They charged me $5 (because they felt like they had to charge me something).

Tin snips, a file, and a hammer led to two swirlers, different widths. I'm finding I only really need one to swirl a batch.
stainless1.jpg
The first batch I made with stainless is a mix of 2 parts lavender & 1 part lemongrass, using cardamom and blue oxide for colors. It's new, so it's still a bit streaky; but I'm thinking this technique has promise.
(I've thrown out the aluminIum prototypes.)

Thanks all for your ideas and encouragement!
Todd

I don't think you could substitute hangars or anything round for this. The flow off the swirlers would be completely different. The flatness of these is what makes this a great idea. The round things will move through the batter more or less and the flat one will pull a certain amount of the batter up, making the surrounding batter flow in to fill in the gap. Very very excellent idea!!

Good work on finding the steel.

Be honest, how many other things did you see that you thought "oh, that's cool, I could use that for..........."?

Since you ask, Gent, I've also bent a strip of bamboo to swirl with.
(It turns out bending bamboo is not nearly as easy as YouTube would lead you to believe...)

And I tried to make a swirler out of cut, bent plexiglass (again - much harder to fabricate than it should be).

I think I'll stick with the stainless steel for now.

Kryse - thanks for the name!

Cheers all.
Todd

Yay! I'm glad you found something that works! I do love the way your swirls look. Completely different from a hanger swirl.

Very beautiful swirls! I like blue one the most (in the first post)

Gorgeous soap! I try to use swirling techniques I find videos for and I still have a very hard time with it turning out good.

Slow to the party but I think your technique is clever and creates beautiful swirls. I'm glad you were able to find some stainless steel. Thanks for sharing!

I liked kryse13's comment about "Todd swirls". :lol:

Back