Dental soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
..............Dontcha love the archaic language? When I hit the word "embalm", it really threw me, so I went back to old dictionaries to find out why one would use this word in this particular context. Thankfully the old usage of "to sweeten" is a much nicer alternative meaning!.............

Bah, I'll put my brain spoon away then!

I have to say, I've been out of this thread for a while and see I've missed a lot! :shock:

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but chapstick tubes are excellent for tooth soap. I got tired of chasing the blob of soap around the bowl it was in so I grated it, melted it down with a little water in the microwave and put it in a piping bag to squirt into the tubes. Works perfectly!

Great hint! I was using flat circular lip balm containers but the tube sounds like a much better idea.

I have some bigger 0.5 oz tubes that look like lip balm tubes on steroids -- 5/8" diameter and maybe 4" tall. They'd be great for this.

I love the old books - I have a British pharmacopeia from the 1800s and love how it reads.... I'll grab that book and thank you for the link to it...

Sorry DeeAnna -

I just had a chance to get caught up on my email notifications and I'm feeling miffed about the reply.

And to "clarify" I did NOT state to put "straight vinegar" on a lye splash. You are the third person to not clearly read what i wrote.

I did read what you wrote. You didn't read what I wrote in my previous post which was:

A blend of primarily water with a little vinegar and soap as pjdxxxwa mentioned would work but running water is faster and effective.

You shouldn't berate me for not reading your post especially since your reply demonstrates you didn't read my entire post. Also, my clarification about using running water and not vinegar wasn't directed at you. I wrote it just in case someone new to soapmaking might read the discussion.

I now return everyone to DeeAnna's tactful transition into getting back on topic. :grin:

Whilst I am a gentleman, I have to say that the whole "Buy my book, and give me ideas for my next book" ethos along with a lot of the wording in the posts put me off - and at 30€ odd for a copy, I can buy a lot better things related to soaping!

Ditto. Earlier posts that were quite defensive and lashing out in defense, followed by irrelevant quips to demonstrate expertise. Just belays insecurity and is off putting.

Clove oil in dental soap

I had previously posted the idea of using Clove Oil in the dental soap. I finally had a chance to research it and from what I read it is ok to use for short periods of time. Clove oil will damage the nerve endings if used too often, rather than just numbing the tooth.

So I am deciding to nix the clove oil and just go for 85 OO and 15 Cocoa Butter With Xylitol and peppermint EO. Havent quite figured what percent to use the Peppermint EO at though. Was thinking about .5? or do you guys think this would be too much.

with 0.5, did you mean 0.5oz ppo or 0.5% of weight of total fats/oils?

i already forgot how much peppermint EO i put for my tooth soap batch, but i just want to say that i can smell the peppermint but as far as tasting it in the mouth: nothing :( which was disappointing for me as i can't stand the yucky, soapy taste that made me wanna gag every time.. i think you should be a bit generous with the xylitol and peppermint EO if you want to be able to have a slight taste in yer mouth.

what about cinnamon leaf EO? I want to put that in my next batch of dental soap...in like 3 years. lol

You could put actual powdered cinnamon in, it might not have a taste unless you do it HP though. But cinnamon is good for the mouth and many recipes call for it. Some are concerned about the blood thinning affects of cassia cinnamon though and go for ceylon cinnamon. I personally like the taste if cinnamon more than mint so thats what I'll probably do. One of my roommates uses a cinnamon tooth powder instead of toothpaste.

Interesting about the clove. My bf recently had an emergency extraction due to infection and then developed dry socket, they packed the socket with a clove oil and zinc oxide soaked gauze. It helped the pain immediately and he had it replaced twice before he had to go without. He said everything he ate tasted like clove though, but that wouldn't be an issue with tooth soap lol. So maybe clove oil would be good in a now and then toothpaste for pain and sensitivity. I get a lot of tooth pain so that has me very interested. I've lost a lot of enamel on my teeth due to health problems causing vomiting. I actually had really great teeth before that, never had a cavity as a kid. Then at 21 they told me I had my first cavity... And 7 of them. Lots of tooth damage from dehydration (saliva protects the teeth) and vomiting. I've also had some teeth break. So the remineralizing and healing stuff has me really interested for those reasons. My roommate feels he is remineralizing his cavities with energy healing.... I'll go for the tooth soap, thanks.

with 0.5, did you mean 0.5oz ppo or 0.5% of weight of total fats/oils?QUOTE]

good question, .5 in soapcalc where is says fragrance, i have a cold and it is going to take a lot of brain power to figure this out....

it says .5 oz/lb

.5 per pound of oil of total oil weight. i think thats what I meant.

wow today is NOT going to be a good thinking day for me....:lol:

You could put actual powdered cinnamon in, it might not have a taste unless you do it HP though. But cinnamon is good for the mouth and many recipes call for it. Some are concerned about the blood thinning affects of cassia cinnamon though and go for ceylon cinnamon. I personally like the taste if cinnamon more than mint so thats what I'll probably do. One of my roommates uses a cinnamon tooth powder instead of toothpaste.

Interesting about the clove. My bf recently had an emergency extraction due to infection and then developed dry socket, they packed the socket with a clove oil and zinc oxide soaked gauze. It helped the pain immediately and he had it replaced twice before he had to go without. He said everything he ate tasted like clove though, but that wouldn't be an issue with tooth soap lol. So maybe clove oil would be good in a now and then toothpaste for pain and sensitivity. I get a lot of tooth pain so that has me very interested. I've lost a lot of enamel on my teeth due to health problems causing vomiting. I actually had really great teeth before that, never had a cavity as a kid. Then at 21 they told me I had my first cavity... And 7 of them. Lots of tooth damage from dehydration (saliva protects the teeth) and vomiting. I've also had some teeth break. So the remineralizing and healing stuff has me really interested for those reasons. My roommate feels he is remineralizing his cavities with energy healing.... I'll go for the tooth soap, thanks.

I didn't research the credibility of the articles I read, I just get what most of the articles say and from what I understand it is ok for shorter term use, and actually very effective. I'm just a little more cautious now about oils after we were informed about wintergreen EO, and I'm very glad I am.

and my meds are also taking a toll on my teeth :( sorry to hear about yours.

Bump this interesting thread
I had to drop the peppermint oil - made my teeth sensitive.

This is my current "Tooth Oil Cleaner", (can't call it Soap)
150 gr Coconut oil
75 gr Baking Soda
2 packs Zylitol

Roy

Great Topic! My teeth has been very sensitive, Dentist said to buy an electric toothbrush and keep using fluoride toothpaste. Didn't help. Last night I made this:

3 tbs Coconut Oil
3 tbs baking soda
25 drops peppermint eo
1 pack stevia
2 tsp vegetable glycerin (optional)

This is not Soap! Just mix it up! Warmed the CO, and stirred the rest in. I din't use any glycerin. Kind of like play dough texture. Tastes ok, at least not nauseating, I can tell it has Baking Soda, cause of the saltiness and texture. But the Peppermint eo and stevia make it palatable. Tooth Sensitivity stopped immediately!
Roy
Source: http://www.crunchybetty.com/homemade-toothpaste-want-to-ditch-the-fluoride

Just giving this thread a new lease of life -

I'm thinking of making a HP tooth soap this weekend. Looking at the 90% OO, 10% Cocoa Butter recipe, with some after-cook adds of Stevia powder and baking soda. Would also consider some cinnamon powder mixed through, or maybe some mint infused oil after cook.

With the baking soda, stevia and cinnamon, are we looking at the usual 2tbl ppo? Or should I up the baking soda a wee bit?

This question was asked in this thread, but never answered. is there any reason one couldn't make a liquid soap using KoH and use it for tooth soap?

I'm thinking that if you left it thick and didnt dilute it as much as normal, then you'd get something quite thick, almost like normal commercial toothpaste.

"With the baking soda, stevia and cinnamon, are we looking at the usual 2tbl ppo? Or should I up the baking soda a wee bit?"

I can't use baking soda every day in my mouth. It tears up my gums and cheeks, makes them sore and feels like I have cuts. Even every once in awhile causes problems. I did make some 90% OO, 10% Cocobutter that I have been using. I put peppermint oil in part of the batch and left some plain. Haven't tried the mint bar yet. Can't say the plain tastes good, but I'm used to it now. I did sprinkle some BP on my bar and ended up washing that off due to the problems mentioned above. I have noticed the tea stains on my teeth seem not to be as brown as before. I pulled out the toothpaste one day, used that, and then went right back to my soap. I like the way my teeth feel after using soap vs toothpaste.

I made a 100% peanut oil soap and use it on my teeth. It has a very mild, almost sweet taste. It works great as is or would be good with a minty/herbal EO.

Latest posts

Back