Dental soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wanna make a little 8-ounce HP batch of castile soap for my teeth... What do you guys store yours in? I was thinking of just storing it in a wide-mouth jar. Also... any idea how much stevia to add? It would be AWESOME if I could get around to making this, I've been using an herbal tooth powder for about 9 months and it tastes very good & works well but I must admit, I miss the foam of conventional toothpaste... it's kind of a pain to rinse the little bits of powdered herb out of your teeth, too.

I put a small piece of my soap on the lid of a baby food container (below) then in the container I have baking soda.

play-dough-baby-food-container.jpg

There are toothpastes with it in, but it's good to know that it is not a good idea to use it every day. I might make half with it in at 2tbl ppo and the other half with out and keep them in pairs............use one one day and the other the next day.

Thanks for the heads up.

Any time you get into whitening your teeth you are damaging your enamel.

Nevada even though teeth are overall stronger than baking soda, the enamel can be scratched and that one of the reasons your teeth get sensitive using commercial
tooth paste there is clay and in some there is baking soda, it doesn't mean it's good for the teeth. There are reasons my teeth are no longer sensitive and part of that
is what is in the commercial tooth pastes.

sadly, i am done with dental soap. i just cant stand the soapy taste in my mouth, makes me wanna gag all the time. i did put some xylitol and peppermint EO, still no good.
if anyone has some untold secrets to avoid this thing, i'm all ears.

back to my smoker's toothpaste for now..

I can't say mine tastes better than it did before, but just that I have gotten used to it. I like the way my teeth feel clean after using it and that the tea stains are not as bad, so i put up with it. I did put some peppermint EO in some of it, but I haven't tried one of those bars yet. I need to go see the dentist and get a baseline so I can compare the results in a year to see how my dental health is after using it for that time frame. I just have to think about calling for an appointment while his office is open, midnight or later doesn't cut it.

Or...

Toothpaste formula:
· 1/2 Cup Virgin Coconut Oil (not hydrogenated)
· 2-3 Tablespoons of either baking soda or 1 tablespoon of fine pumice
· Xylitol* to taste, depending on how sweet you like your paste
· 15-20 drops of essential oil, mostly I use cinnamon or peppermint
· Soften coconut oil with gentle heat
· add ingredients and mix well
· place in a glass jar
· allow to cool

Okay, so I'm thinking of making a small batch of this to try out, 90% OO and 10% CB, maybe 300g oils. I got some stevia to add to it (couldn't find xylitol in the store and I had a coupon I could use on top of a pre-exisiting sale price for the stevia), how much should I add? When do I add it, to the lye-water, or at trace? What percent peppermint EO (the standard 3% or less)?

You guys need to try 100% refined peanut oil soap. It literally has no flavor, bet it would be really nice with peppermint.

Okay, so I'm thinking of making a small batch of this to try out, 90% OO and 10% CB, maybe 300g oils. I got some stevia to add to it (couldn't find xylitol in the store and I had a coupon I could use on top of a pre-exisiting sale price for the stevia), how much should I add? When do I add it, to the lye-water, or at trace? What percent peppermint EO (the standard 3% or less)?

I put 1tbsp PPO of xylitol in mine and 3% peppermint EO. I made mine in Jan, and there's not too much scent left. it's not overly sweet, but you can tell there's some sweetness there. I put the xylitol in my lye water so it will melt (i dont' think it will otherwise). hope that helps!

Okay, I still haven't made the batch, but Ive been thinking about it... How low could I acceptably go with a water discount? 1.5:1 water:lye? 1.8:1? Or go insane and do 1:1?

For those of you that make up a paste with coconut oil, do you need a preservative since there is no water? What is the shelf life? I'm thinking of making up a paste with coconut oil, green clay, calcium powder, xylitol and peppermint oil. Should I add some grapefruit seed extract or some other preservative?

:)

Latest posts

Back