Dental soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you still use a brush?
Would 100% olive oil soap count as dental soap what makes it dental soap?

Incorrect. There can be lye in cold processed soap in three instances:

1. if you fail to wait until full saponification has taken place, and
2. if you made a error in calculations, and
3. if your water evaporated before the saponification process were complete. Without adequate water, the process stops.

And some of us still zap test our soap. If I do not trust it in my mouth, I am not going to give it to my family. And I am talking regular bath soap, not tooth soap. We on this forum should know how to use a soap calculator. There are stickies to help new people use them even.

^^ please read through the thread. your questions will be answered. If you're new to soapmaking, there are lots of youtube videos (soap queen and soaping101 have good ones) have how to make CP soap

I have to wonder why you added cocoa butter. I would not use an expensive oil for this since you can't soften or moisturize teeth. For tooth purposes soap is soap is soap.

Since you think this recipe is bad, what alterations would you suggest?

I have to wonder why you added cocoa butter. I would not use an expensive oil for this since you can't soften or moisturize teeth. For tooth purposes soap is soap is soap.

In researching dental soap, it was found that cocoa butter prevents tooth decay.

Incorrect. There can be lye in cold processed soap in three instances:

1. if you fail to wait until full saponification has taken place, and
2. if you made a error in calculations, and
3. if your water evaporated before the saponification process were complete. Without adequate water, the process stops.

saponification process should be done within 24 hours of completing soap (if gelled), up to 3 days if no gel. Considering the minimum suggested wait time to use CP soap is 4 weeks, unless the scale or recipe was way off, or failed to mix the lye water properly, all your above instances won't occur. And, of course soapmakers should zap test their soaps to ensure safety of the soap prior to use.

Im not going to lie, I am lye phobic. I would really love to try but that deep fear freezes me. So my question is other than a recipe I found with pure castile soap, coconut oil, EO's and Xylitol - is there another way or recipe? Or should I bite the soap fear and just try it? I'd really love to help my teeth be a bit better than what they are now and this sounds like it would fit the bill.

Your 2 and 3 fall under "as long as the recipe has been formulated and followed correctly" and for number 1 if thats a problem the person needs to step back from making soap and do a little more preparation (research).

There can be many reasons a recipe may have been off. Doubt research or more preparation is needed if you scale lost its calibration, for example. Unless it is medical equipment there can be a pretty high error rate to pass it to sell to the public. And many soap makers have been distracted by "life" and interruptions. Distractions can happen to anyone. ;)

Since you think this recipe is bad, what alterations would you suggest?

I never said it was a bad recipe. I said I would not waste an expensive oil it and use EO's for my anti-germ causing protection.

In researching dental soap, it was found that cocoa butter prevents tooth decay.

I forogt to ask where you saw that research. I am interested to see what was said, and by whom. I have done much research through AMI and unless my memory is failing I don't recall that being mentioned - but that was a decade ago; maybe it's a recent discovery. :neutral:

fear of lye? why?

Im not going to lie, I am lye phobic. I would really love to try but that deep fear freezes me. So my question is other than a recipe I found with pure castile soap, coconut oil, EO's and Xylitol - is there another way or recipe? Or should I bite the soap fear and just try it? I'd really love to help my teeth be a bit better than what they are now and this sounds like it would fit the bill.

Lye is used in food preparation for pretzels, certain kinds of Cool Whip and many other things people eat every day.
If you don't want to tongue test your soap for active lye (it really is nothing more than a little wiggly zap), then just make your soap by hot processing it.
If you do it the right way it will look and feel just like cp soap, and no worries about seizing soap with the wrong FO. It's easy enough to do and a little sodium lactate will help prevent those sunken sides.

Ask your library if they have this book: ISBN: 1-58180-268-4 It shows step by step how to do HP three separate ways successfully.

"...If you don't want to tongue test your soap for active lye (it really is nothing more than a little wiggly zap), then just make your soap by hot processing it. ..."

A lye heavy soap will be a lye heavy soap, regardless of the method used.

you're gonna want the tooth soap to at least have some taste in it. mine was lacking that and all i got is a yucky soapy taste that made me gag everytime. i've stopped using my tooth soap coz it made me want to throw up every time. be more royal on the peppermint/xylitol/stevia/whatever it is you're using to mask the soapy taste.

I said if number 1 is an issue you need to step back and take more preparation. If you do not know when soap is safe to use, you shouldn't be making soap yet. Again, problems with scale calibration fall under "as long as the recipe has been formulated and followed correctly" Distractions causing a problem fall under "as long as the recipe has been formulated and followed correctly"

Soap needs to be safe regardless of where you are using on your body. There are not heightened guidelines for tooth soap, because ALL soap needs to be safe and have the recipe formulated and followed correctly. And all soapmakers need to know when soap is safe to use, and how to check soap for safety before using it.

Last edited:
Lye is used in food preparation for pretzels, certain kinds of Cool Whip and many other things people eat every day.
If you don't want to tongue test your soap for active lye (it really is nothing more than a little wiggly zap), then just make your soap by hot processing it.
If you do it the right way it will look and feel just like cp soap, and no worries about seizing soap with the wrong FO. It's easy enough to do and a little sodium lactate will help prevent those sunken sides.

Ask your library if they have this book: ISBN: 1-58180-268-4 It shows step by step how to do HP three separate ways successfully.

It's not so much of putting soap in my mouth but using lye to make soap. I tend to use M&P and rebatch soap so I dont have to mess with lye. In the back of my head I picture doing something wrong and setting off an explosion the size of a nuclear bomb - I know not possible but its my nightmare. lol Maybe some day Ill get over the fear of lye ...:Kitten Love:

"...If you don't want to tongue test your soap for active lye (it really is nothing more than a little wiggly zap), then just make your soap by hot processing it. ..."

A lye heavy soap will be a lye heavy soap, regardless of the method used.

My understanding was she did not want to make CP soap due to tongue testing.
In HP there is no need test it and even if you wonder about it being "heavy" the heat processing will turn the majority of the lye resulting in much less tingling on the tongue. :)

It's not so much of putting soap in my mouth but using lye to make soap. I tend to use M&P and rebatch soap so I dont have to mess with lye. In the back of my head I picture doing something wrong and setting off an explosion the size of a nuclear bomb - I know not possible but its my nightmare. lol Maybe some day Ill get over the fear of lye ...:Kitten Love:

Lye is not anything to be fearful of if you respect it. It is merely a little stronger than bleach. Both are alkaline. If you should splash lye on you it will not eat away at you like an acid would. The first think that will happen is it will feel like a rash you want to scratch. It itches. All you need to do is rinses it off.

What experienced soap makers do (or should do) is have a cup of water with a touch of dish soap and a couple Tbl of vinegar nearby just in case a bead falls on you, or you get a little splash. If so just splash a bit of the s/v water on the spot. Neutralized because vinegar is an acid.

Wear safety goggles so there is no accidents with splashes to the eyes, but for the rest of the body it is not all that harmful. You won't be bathing in it. :wink:

Soapmaking is as easy, or as hard, as you make it. Really. It is not that hard and everyone I've taught says the same thing after their first batch - 'I feel so silly now for being afraid of it.'

Latest posts

Back