Cutting soap straight.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TVivian

Reaction score
I've seen a few members lately struggling to cut soap straight. I'm sure this is old news to the experienced crafter/ soaper but wanted to share for any novices like me who can't cut a straight line to save her life .. And are not ready to invest in a nice soap cutter.
Get a mitre box from the hardware store. They're super inexpensive, I bought this one for $4.50 it has a ruler on it so you can measure the perfect thickness and then a groove for the knife to slide right down so you almost can't go wrong. ImageUploadedBySoap Making1383849021.504857.jpg
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1383849035.567800.jpgImageUploadedBySoap Making1383849046.468836.jpgImageUploadedBySoap Making1383849057.473963.jpg
Be sure to wipe your knife clean between each slice!

Sent from my iPhone using Soap Making

Wow! Very nice soap, and perfectly straight. I just finished cutting a loaf, and need to pick up one of those.

What?? These have existed all this time and I've been using my crappy one that I hate?? Which store did you get it from?

What?? These have existed all this time and I've been using my crappy one that I hate?? Which store did you get it from?

Haha gorgeous! Yep.. They're made for cutting 2X4 pieces of lumber. I got this one at Lowes. They have them at ANY hardware store like Home Depot, ACE and even in the home repair section of Wal Mart.

OK now I"m not sure whether to rejoice and burn the one I have or yell at hubby for watching me struggle all these years cutting and not mentioning that a mitre box would work!

I bought the one that WSP has and really hate it. None of my soaps come out the same. I do better with a ruler and marking 1 inch section to cut with my dough scraper!

I bought the one that WSP has and really hate it. None of my soaps come out the same. I do better with a ruler and marking 1 inch section to cut with my dough scraper!

Really? This has helped me so much! I use a dough scraper with it too. The thicknesses aren't perfect but man! My soaps are way less "slanted" I guess is the best way to describe it?

Woah, I have that exact box. I'm going to try it my next loaf! Thanks for the great idea!

Back