Curcuma (Tumeric) infusion at different percentages

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Annatto is my go to yellow, but it's so much fun to experiment with other colors! Also, side note.. I've had annatto fade on me after +-6months and it seemed to fade more in gelled soap than in ungelled soap. That's just an observation, I haven't really experimented with it.

Thought I'd do an update on the fading of the bright orange bar I made about a month ago.
IMG_20200514_092248.jpg
The fading is not too bad considering I made a soap with the same infusion around the same time that went from almost neon orange to white within about a week🙃 luckily I only used curcuma infusion in a very small part of that soap.
Curcuma infusion is officially taken off my soapy list, though I might still try adding it to trace or lye water like @Belindasuds suggested (I still have more than I could ever use up in cooking and I do love the color)

Eta: since the weather is really bright, my lighting will also influence the color a bit, but it clearly faded.

Most of what I've read points to turmeric producing a peach color. Your last soap looks peach to me. I like it enough to have mixed up a turmeric infusion, but I'm guessing the odds are against it being a long lasting plant colorant based on the pigments it contains. According to this article: "Turmeric owes its characteristic yellow color to three major pigments; curcumin (50-60%), demethoxy curcumin (20-30%) and bis demethoxy curcumin (7-20%)" so not beta carotene or other carotenoids, as in annatto, which tend to be fairly stable. According to this FAO pdf, "It [curcumin] is stable at high temperatures and in acids, but unstable in alkaline conditions and in the presence of light.

Latest posts

Back