Quantcast

Cracks, Sinkholes & Tunneling

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

Courtney

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to candlemaking. I've only been at it since May. I just switched from using tins to using mason jars. I use 464 wax and now that I'm using the jars I'm getting tunneling around the wick, sinkholes and cracks in the tops of my candles. I never had this problem with the tins. I had a nice smooth finish. I've tried pouring at a higher temperature and warming the jars. I'm out of ideas. Any advice? It's fixable with a heat gun but it ruins the smooth finish.

MKLonestar

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to candlemaking. I've only been at it since May. I just switched from using tins to using mason jars. I use 464 wax and now that I'm using the jars I'm getting tunneling around the wick, sinkholes and cracks in the tops of my candles. I never had this problem with the tins. I had a nice smooth finish. I've tried pouring at a higher temperature and warming the jars. I'm out of ideas. Any advice? It's fixable with a heat gun but it ruins the smooth finish.
I usually use 444, but have watched many videos about the 464 wax. From what I have learned from those videos is that when using a jar or other container, the 464 is not typically a 1 pour wax, therefore, after it has dried you have to fix it by doing a second pour on the top. I very seldom have this issue with the 444, which is one of the reasons I like it, plus it holds up better in the hotter climates.

Latest posts