Business names

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by Primrose, Jun 30, 2018.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

1. Jul 4, 2018 #21

Primrose

Primrose

Primrose

OK trying to think of some other options.

Prim and Proper Soaps was one I kicked around earlier but I'm not sold on it.

Primrose Soapery or Primrose Soaps

My logo and stamp is being developed from a photo of my first two does. My phone won't let me add it here.

Two Goat Soapery?

Two Goats and a Soapery?

My friend is dead keen on "Goaps" but I don't really like it

2. Jul 4, 2018 #22

Relle

Relle

Relle

Administrator & Bunny Fanatic Staff Member Admin

I still like Little Goat Soapery and it's available as a business name so I would register that. They wouldn't let it be registered if it was a problem. Not keen of any of the above names. If your logo has the goats on it then Primrose soaps won't connect with it and what happens if you get more than 2 goats, forget Goaps, people won't get it and you will have to explain all the time.

Sandra@SS, Misschief and Primrose like this.
  3. Jul 4, 2018 #23

cmzaha

cmzaha

cmzaha

Supporting Member

I understand what you are saying but you lose a group of buyers by restricting your selection.

4. Jul 4, 2018 #24

Relle

Relle

Relle

Administrator & Bunny Fanatic Staff Member Admin

I think if you are happy just doing GM soap then go for it, you have to be happy in what you are doing, then everything falls into place. It's sad about the cheese, I love GM cheese. I use to buy it direct at the farmers market from the farmer and it was just Mmmmmm.

Primrose likes this.
  5. Jul 4, 2018 #25

cerelife

cerelife

cerelife

Normally I tend to agree with cmzaha on all things business-wise, and she does have a valid point.
    BUT I've gotta side with Relle in this case. I LOVE the name "Little Goat Soapery" - I would buy something from you just because I like the name so much!
    And if you had your fluffies at the market....oh my!! I would make your booth a 'must visit' just to see them and (maybe) pet them, with your permission of course! I adore the idea that these babies helped to create your soaps :)
    I have no allergies, so I would be in heaven seeing your goats! But cmzaha does have a point about people who are allergic/or just aren't comfortable with animals. Maybe play it by ear and see what works for you?

Sandra@SS, Primrose and Relle like this.
  6. Jul 4, 2018 #26

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier

Um, my wholesale customers in Mobile sell GM soaps & lotions exclusively. Their company name is Retriever Soapworks! Named after their beloved fur babies. They also take goats to the Renn Faires they do. They're so cute! And they do attract a lot of attention.

Primrose and Relle like this.
  7. Jul 4, 2018 #27

penelopejane

penelopejane

penelopejane

Out of those I like little goat soapery best.

Sandra@SS likes this.
  8. Jul 4, 2018 #28

Primrose

Primrose

Primrose

I still like the original name the best.

I'm not too worried about not having non-GM soaps. There are plenty of soapers around in my state and probably at the events that do 'normal' soaps, they can have those customers. Most that I see have a large range of normal soaps and just do a plain GM soap. Not many do multiple fragranced and coloured GM soaps. Only one lady I know of that also does exclusively GM soaps in a range of colours and FOs but she purchases GM rather than having it fresh from the farm.

I'm also working towards producing my own lard at home for the soaps

Misschief likes this.
  9. Jul 4, 2018 #29

SudsanSoaps

SudsanSoaps

SudsanSoaps

The Giddy Goat. Just something might open up more ideas if you decide you don’t want that other name.

Zany_in_CO likes this.
  10. Jul 4, 2018 #30

dibbles

dibbles

dibbles

Supporting Member Supporting Member

I still like Little Goat Soapery best too. I know it might limit you, but using your own GM is your focus and what will set your products apart. I don't see it changing until and unless you can no longer raise goats yourself for whatever reason. If you find yourself having a lot of people asking for something other than GM, you could have one or two selections available if you want to.

Primrose and earlene like this.
  11. Jul 4, 2018 #31

cmzaha

cmzaha

cmzaha

Supporting Member

I will point out I do not dislike the business name with Goat in it, Little Goat Soapery is a nice name, just a wee limiting. I was simply pointing out it can be limiting.

I would simply question why someone wanting or selling wants to just let someone else have "those customers". I sell to make money and not lose customers to another soaper. It is hard work and if I am going to sell I want to make money and have all areas covered. I will mention that I do make goat's milk soap and a large selection along with camel milk soaps (much smaller selection) and not one person has asked if they are my goats. Actually I use powdered milks now since most of my liquid is vinegar

12. Jul 4, 2018 #32

I_like_melts

I_like_melts

I_like_melts

Two Goat Soapery sounds pretty cute. Goats are adorable.

13. Jul 4, 2018 #33

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier

Ye Olde Goat Soapery? I like "Goaps" too! LOL and Giddy Goat Soapery

14. Jul 5, 2018 #34

Primrose

Primrose

Primrose

cmzaha - because I have no desire to make non-GM soaps, I have no desire to try to meet the needs of every single person in the market. There are so many many soapers around, there is business for everyone and I see no problem if I don't have what people want, directing them to a fellow soaper. I am not in this for a monopoly. My passion is goats and goat products and that is what makes me different and I don't think its a bad thing, I view it as being specific rather than being limited.

I am pretty sure Giddy Goat is a brand of cider over here LOL

NsMar42111 and Relle like this.
  15. Jul 5, 2018 #35

scard

scard

scard

Supporting Member

The first thing that came to mind when you mentioned using all local ingredients was It takes a village soapery or maybe, bountiful goat soaps.
    But I like Two Goat Soapery. Good luck with your new venture.

16. Jul 5, 2018 #36

Sandra@SS

Sandra@SS

Sandra@SS

I also like 'Little Goat Soapery'. It conjours rural, heritage, clean, natural themes. All of which I value.

I really like goats (we used to have 3 does and their yearly babies), so will not walk past a 'tickle me' goat display.
    As for the smell, like all show animals, goats can be bathed. Our Buck stank, but our does were clean and always bedded on clean straw, and smelt divine.

Primrose, I really like your business idea. If its your passion, then its the best idea.

I assume your GM-only soaps will not refer to their Genetic Modification status, rather their Goat Milk status...be careful of using abreviations to the wider world. Abreviations often mean different things to different people.

Best Wishes

17. Jul 5, 2018 #37

Primrose

Primrose

Primrose

Thanks Sandra, yes I only use the GM abbreviation here on this thread to save me typing goat milk a hundred times! Lol

Yes indeed my does are always bathed before an event and I wouldn't take the bucks to these sorts of things. My does either don't have a smell, or smell like the shampoo I used on them the night before :)

Sandra@SS likes this.
  18. Jul 5, 2018 #38

penelopejane

penelopejane

penelopejane

I don't think having a niche is limiting. It makes decision making easier, too.

Relle and Primrose like this.
  19. Jul 5, 2018 #39

Primrose

Primrose

Primrose

True otherwise every shop would be a big supermarket/department store and sell everything

I think small businesses having specialty/niche products is a good thing

penelopejane likes this.
  20. Jul 5, 2018 #40

The Efficacious Gentleman

Lifetime Supporter

I see what you are saying about catering to a specific group, but also bear in mind that if the soaper who you send people to for non GM soaps also has GM soaps, many people will buy in as fewer places as possible.

So someone comes to your stand, wants to buy a GM soap for themselves and a non GM one for a gift. They buy the GM from you and you point them to another soaper. THAT soaper has both GM and non GM, so your customer now realises that they can go to just one booth to get the soaps that they need.

Some people will buy from two vendors anyway, because of relating to the marketing. But not all.

Don't lock yourself out of doing non GM soaps, even if it's only mentally.

Alfa_Lazcares and cmzaha like this.