Business names

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Primrose

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm making steps towards hopefully beginning to sell in September at the start of the new NICNAS year.

I've had a business name in mind for the last few months. I'm making all goat milk soaps with milk from my own dairy goats, I am big on using local produce and supporting local small farmers and am using olive oil from a local farmer and in the process of sourcing my animal fats from local free range farmers. My 'thing' is sustainable agriculture, small farming, homesteading etc. I fully intend to bring goats with me to markets when I'm selling (if I can)

Anyway the name I've been thinking of was The Little Goat Soapery. Then the other day I thought of another option which was Milk Baa Soaps.

Honestly I just wanted to hear from people about which you like best or if you don't like either or if you've got any further ideas! Now that its EOFY I will be registering the name and starting accounting seriously etc as I make a stack of inventory in preparation for September

Exciting times :D

Good for you. I like your 'thing.'

I also like the basis for your names. But I always look for simpler comms, which often means cutting letters, syllables and words. Great for labels too. So... how about Little Goat Soaps?

I agree with cmzaha, I saw bra too, which I constantly try to shed ;) But something like Baa Baa Milk Soaps, that would be less mistakable I think.

Good on ya !
I had the same issue when thinking of a name. I had used Doodlebug Soaps back in 2005 but never registered it or anything. Someone else has it now.
I too Homestead, kind of, but unless you are going to be selling Goat Milk and cheese, leave the fluffies at home when selling soap. Not everyone likes the smell of Goats or sheep.

Those are both good name, but think a little outside the box. Is there a nick name people there call goats ? Baa is cute but not sure I am thrilled with it. Think about someone asking for it, say it out loud with out saying BAAAAAAAAAAAA like a goat hahahhaha
But little goat soapery does sound better.

What about something with Homestead ?
I picked Rustic Life Farm. I like Rustic farm houses and Barns, Life because I think life should be a little less snotty and prim and Farm because, some day, I will have my own big farm.
I had to watch out for Rustic Farm, and Rustic Barn. So www.rusticlifefarm.com was born. Although, I have to spell it slower for some reason.

unless you are going to be selling Goat Milk and cheese, leave the fluffies at home when selling soap. Not everyone likes the smell of Goats or sheep.

Mild disagreement here, based on only one experience.

When we went to the local Ren Faire this year, a small-time farmer was there with his goats in tow. He was only selling soap, no other GM products. There were (I think) three goats in a pen next to his stand and they drew people to him. Everyone stopped first to see the goats and ask goat-related questions. Being out in the open, I don't remember too much in the way of goat smell.

The draw might be affected by the number of "City folks" that your event draws. People who are used to seeing goats might not be as interested in seeing them at a market. Here in heavily populated South Jersey, finding a goat at the Ren Faire was like being at the zoo!

So, maybe they'll come over to see the goat(s) and stay for the soap.

(Having said that, I love goat cheese and would be looking at that, if you had it there, as much as I would the soap)

I would agree with artemis. I live in a small rural farming town, and even with that, critters are a huge draw. I have loads of photos on phone from llamas at the music festival a few years back. Not only do kids with their parents stop by, but old folks, single folks, young folks and pretty much everybody in town will stop by to see a critter.

To me baa sounded like bad.

I was at a threshing bee recently that someone was selling soap at and had a couple baby goats there and people especially children seemed to love the kids.

I love Little Goat Soapery. I think anything with "soapery" has a classic, almost vintage feel to it and, to me, gives a feeling of knowing what you're doing but, I will admit, I'm a little biased; my biz name is Mission Meadows Soapery.

As for bringing the goats (if you can), go for it! As others have already said, animals are always a draw.

Please don't think I was trying to offend, I was not, just another side to the thought.
We have a lot of farms around here and people bring animals. I saw more people petting then buying. Heard a few say eww (not a pun), don't touch that. I wouldn't want to see that happen to you.
Also think about having someone Just to be with the goat(s). Hard to watch little fingers and 'unminded' children and sell at the same time. If someone gets bit or bumped that would be an issue around here (sue happy idiots).

I watch my Hens like a hawk (got camera just to watch them) and have to make sure no one tries to feed them crap. They only eat nonGMO and Organic . some people are idiots.

DO make cheese !!! I hear it is so fun and people love it !

Oh and you need to post more Pics of adorable animals- Videos of them running around is our favorite here. DD always finds ones and comes and shows me :)

Thank you so much everyone for the feedback, it has been very helpful and productive.

Sounds like everyone agrees with the Little Goat Soapery as being a better option than Milk Baa Soaps and I have to admit I thought the same. Though I'd not thought of the Bra thing myself! I want people to think classic, timeless, comforting, the wholesome goodness of farm fresh produce etc when they think of my brand and I think Little Goat Soapery evokes that more so than Milk Baa Soaps which sounds a bit more edgy and trendy and clever to my way of thinking but that's probably not what I'm going for anyway.

As far as bringing the goats along to events, I think it will work in my area and the demographic I am aiming for. I know some events may not want them there but wherever possible I will try to include them. I do think it is going to be a drawing point to bring people over to the stall, whether they remain to buy soap we will see. I do live in suburban Perth but Perth on the whole is like a big country town. I do ag shows with my goats and they are usually a big draw card particularly for city children who don't often get a chance to see farm animals, and those families with a more rural background love them too. In Australia in general there is a really big move among a large number of people in knowing where your food comes from and ensuring it is produced ethically, that farm to table idea is what I'd really like to tap in on and I think adults in this market will appreciate connecting the goats with the product too. I have some old faithful goats that love being at events, and bouncing babies are hard to walk past too.

This years babies are due in about a month and I'll try to remember to share photos :)

Oh yeah also. So I realised Little Goat Soaps is already registered as a business name in Australia. However my proposed name is still allowed, and a google and Facebook search is indicating that whoever has that business name isn't particularly active at the moment anyway.

In favour of shortening it because that makes sense I rbink I'll drop the "The" so change "The Little Goat Soapery" to "Little Goat Soapery"

Last edited by a moderator:
Dangit... I was pulling for Milk Baa Soaps, but I like play on words like that. (But please don't take my advice, I've been told I have the worst business name ever, that it makes no sense, etc.)

If you do bring your little goats, bring hand sanitizer too, just as a courtesy for you customers.

You're gonna rock this!

I’d be a bit concerned that little goat soap and little goat soapery are so similar. I think it would be better get to have a unique name. It’s good that the other business isn’t currently active I guess but who is to know if they are just setting up or not. The UK one is huge and there is one in the US.

Just playing devils advocate here.

Last edited:
Also keep in mind you are limiting yourself if you decide to make other soaps. Even in country settings there can be vegans and they will pass up your booth. As for taking the fluffy with you I agree it is not a great idea, I for one would pass up your booth due to severe allergies. I also get very perturbed when people think I have to like their dogs and bring them to my booth, I am allergic to dogs. I will mention people to travel and their could be some tourist that might want to check out your soap but do not want gm soap or have a goat or other animals at the booth. The first handmade soap I ever purchased or used was in a little farming community we visited on a cross country trip.

Soap is hard enough to sell so limiting oneself is not a real good idea. But of course, is your choice. A quick example is, my duaghter when she started went with CZ Wick and Suds for her resistered name. She did not like making candles so we are now under the dba of ACTZ Cosmetics, which made much more sense since it is our initials, but I was unhappy she used the word cosmetic. It once again limited products. ACTZ could have covered anything including her fairy houses.

My goats always said Maa not Baa (sheep baa) LOL. Milk Ma Soaps?

This is true, but the Baa was.a.play on words.for bar of soap

Cmzaha I hear what you are saying I do, but I have no interest in making non-GM soaps. My whole reason for beginning soaping is to utilize my.goat milk in a way which is.marketable to try to have them cost less. They are a very expensive hobby (just like soap ha!)

Which brings me to an earlier point in the conversation, I do make cheese but cannot sell it. I make all our own dairy products but the licensing to sell milk and dairy products is extremely restrictive, would require me building an entire dairy and processing room to health department standards which even if I could afford it, I can't do while we are renting :( I'd love to do it but its just not feasible. However soap is far less restrictive so that's why I headed down this path a bit over a year ago. I had no actual desire to make soap but funnily enough I was hooked very quickly

Back