Business names

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see what you are saying about catering to a specific group, but also bear in mind that if the soaper who you send people to for non GM soaps also has GM soaps, many people will buy in as fewer places as possible.

So someone comes to your stand, wants to buy a GM soap for themselves and a non GM one for a gift. They buy the GM from you and you point them to another soaper. THAT soaper has both GM and non GM, so your customer now realises that they can go to just one booth to get the soaps that they need.

Some people will buy from two vendors anyway, because of relating to the marketing. But not all.

Don't lock yourself out of doing non GM soaps, even if it's only mentally.
Totally agree with EG. Also when customers are used to your soap they want to buy from you and not another soaper. There is not always enough soap buyers to support several sellers. I do sell a lot of soap, but sometimes I sell one or two bars and sell 10+ crochet hats, so without my additional product to sell I would go home losing money. I do not get up early haul and setup to lose money. You never know how a market day is going to go for sales for the day. It is just about 100% unpredictable. Limiting oneself at small markets is a tough way to go unless you are happy with making only booth space, after packing your vehicle setting up and tearing down.

I will also mention in some states and counties health regulations do not allow animals other than service animals in markets. So best to check before taking an animal with you. There are health issues and liability issues, so your market may not allow it. Where I live no markets are even allowed to let customers bring in pets, but of course the public ignores the signs

What about making it a Farm/Homestead theme since you already have animals ?
I am Rustic Life Farm. I sell the soaps, but at some point in the near furture I want to sell Organic Eggs and Chicks, maybe even Herbs.
So my pick was something that can be everything all in one.

I will also mention in some states and counties health regulations do not allow animals other than service animals in markets. So best to check before taking an animal with you. There are health issues and liability issues, so your market may not allow it. Where I live no markets are even allowed to let customers bring in pets, but of course the public ignores the signs
Carolyn, Primrose is in Australia, we have different laws than you in the US. Markets allow animals here and no issue with bringing pets.

I like Two Goat Soapery! What about Two Goats Soap? Two Goat Soaps n More? Soapin' Goat?

You know, just because your name says "Goat" in it does not mean you are limited to only goat milk products! It's a brand...so if later you decide to add other items (even not soap) there is no reason to think a name change is needed.

I miss my goats....I don't miss the buck smell though LOL. Reminds me, I used to sell bonsai at a farmers' market and there was a goat milk seller who would bring baby goats to the market when the weather wasn't hot. One day one of em kept trying to escape the playpen so they walked over to my booth with her and plopped her in my arms to goatsit LOL. Their barn name didn't even have the word goat in it, although all they did was goat related items-people still knew who they were!

Only bad thing I see about bringing the baby goats is the escape artists/people trying to feed them junk, you'd have to have someone watching the babies plus someone doing the booth. Then again, easy to find volunteers for that usually! Have out some hand sanitizer (get the gallon sized) for people after they pet the goats...check with insurance...and don't forget the cleanup kit! I did a lot of petting zoos with my animals in 4H and only once forgot the cleanup kit. Ducks...messy... LOL

Start small, start with your milk stuff, leave yourself open for expansion. Who knows maybe you'll partner with a beekeeper and expand into honey stuff!

Thought you might like to know I went with the original but shortened it to Little Goat Soapery. Registered the business name and had my logo created.
At the end of the day I like the name and I wasnt coming up with much else that I really felt invested in and evoked the 'feel' I'm trying to create. So I hope this is two steps forward :)

Logo horizontal.jpg

Logo verticle.jpg

Thanks guys, I just love it. It has quite a bit of sentimental value, the two goats are my first registered doe and her first daughter - matriarchs of my herd. There is a dairy goat breeder here who also does graphic design who did it for me, she did such a wonderful job especially since I had a very vague idea of what I wanted.

Back