Business Name

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am having a hard time thinking of a business name. I had one that I liked but I've had mixed reactions to it.

My mom's and others input was that it should be something where people knew it was soap related right off the bat based off the name but really can't think of something original that hasn't been done yet that is relevant to me. I thought about adding soap co or something like that at the end but I think it would make it too long winded.

I was thinking of potentially selling stained glass artwork too down the road so wanted something that could apply to anything.

What's yalls approach to developing a business name?

The name I like is Buttercup Rebels.

Last edited:
Well, hopefully I can be honest here without offending you? 😬

The name doesn't provide any hints as to what the business is about. It also lacks alliteration to make it roll off the tongue, or stick in the brain. It seems more suitable as a user name for an online avatar, than for a business name. Sorry, and I hope that doesn't offend!

Try this: decide which of the two words is more important to you. Then try to find a synonym for the other word; try an online search for "nouns that begin with B" (or "R") to search for appropriate words. If you can't find a synonym, look for a word that begins with the same letter, or has some of the same sounds in it

Examples:

Buttercup Bath Arts
Buttercup Creations
Rebel Arts & Bath

The first two don't incorporate the "rebel" concept, but they do give an idea of what the business is about, and they have some alliteration with repeated consonants.

The last one doesn't have alliteration, but when you say or read the name, the "L" of "Rebel" easily rolls into the "A" of Arts. This makes the phrase easier to annunciate, and thus easier to remember. You could still incorporate the buttercup as part of a logo, maybe with a mischievous (rebellious) face on it?

HTH!

I appreciate the honesty because I do like the name but it's just not right. I haven't been able to pull the trigger on any developmental plans like logos etc because of the name. I do like the idea of incorpating part of the name in the logo pic though.

I haven't been able to put into words what's wrong with it other than to mouthy but what you said is the problem.

Urgh. This is the hardest part for me. A lot of the ones I have thought of are usually taken too.

Where do you guys check to see if your business name ideas are available?

I usually Google a name or check if the URL is available to see if a name is chosen.

I'll be a voice of dissension and say that there is something I really like about Buttercup Rebel. I think its fun to say, memorable, and has a quirky blend of feminine/countryside, homemade/homegrown and stick-it-in-your-ear attitude.

Like a sweet-natured farmer's daughter, walking in a field of buttercups, wearing a flowy country dress and cowboy boots... but she's no pushover, and she will part your hair if you say something smart to her. Then she climbs in her 80's K-10 and sprays mud all over your purdy little beep-beep.

True, it reveals nothing about the product you're selling, but I don't see that as problematic. If I were strolling through a farmers market, I'd want to see what Buttercup Rebel has to offer. It could be honey, refurbished furniture, jams and jellies, and, of course, soap.... but I'd be curious because of the cute name. I'd be delighted if I found some funky logo t-shirts too.

My biz name has zero to do with the product I'm selling. Without the "Soap Co." attached to it, the name on its own could pretty much sell anything. BUT my highly targeted audience resonates deeply with the word, so its very "on brand".

Think about who your audience is and who you want to appeal to. And be eye-wateringly specific.

Not, "women in my area", but "women in my area in the 40-50 age range who are getting ready to become empty nesters, wanting to get back out and grab life by the whoohaa, ready to pamper themselves with quality skin care, and probably are considering buying a motorcycle and have a closet full of rock concert shirts that they authentically obtained."

Then, see how your name fits — or doesn't.

Also, YOU have to like your company name, not just like what other people say they like.... YOU have to REALLY like it — because it represents a piece of you. If your company name tells a story about you, how you got here, what your 'tude is — then every action you take will be authentic. Your labels, your look, how you speak about your product, will all authentically represent you.

Authenticity to your target market is the number one marketing decision you should be making every chance you can. If your company is authentic to you, then you will always be speaking to your market from the heart.

There is no shortage of amazing soapers out there, people have oodles of choices. What sets you apart, besides your incredible quality and service of course, is your story. Own it.

https://vikingrevolution.com/
https://www.drsquatch.com/
https://www.finchberry.com/
https://dukecannon.com/
https://liveoutlaw.com/
https://www.brambleberry.com/

These are just a pinch of wildly successful companies in the soaping space, who's names — on the surface — have zero to do with soap or skincare, but have built strong followings to their unique stories.

Last edited:
Bubz Bubbles and Art
Bubz Arts and Bubbles

My 'company' name is Artsy Moose, and my 'Soap' name is Sudsy Moose. But you have to to go to my Artsy Moose website to find my soap, so io guess that's the important one. I'm pretty sure no-one has any idea that my soap brand is Sudsy Moose, unless they keep the little ingredients card that goes out with each bar of soap (my soaps are all sold unpackaged).

What if you just switched it around and changed it a little. Buttercup Rebellion? I think it rolls of the tongue better. I love the concept. I think there's a real potential for fun marketing.

I'm not really one to help with sound business advice, so I know my suggestion doesn't really help with the some of the problems presented, but I just thought I'd put in my two cents. :)

It's a really hard decision in general. I know I could always rebrand down the road if I needed to but don't want to waste time and money to do that. It's been a very polarizing name with the closest people around me. People seem to either love it or hate it. The people who know me best thinks its fitting which makes me feel more confident. But the others not liking it makes me doubt myself and my vision.

I've been wracking my brain for probably 3 years now thinking of a name that I thought represented me. I know my soaps is what's being sold but I feel like it's me that I am putting out there.

I really wanted something that feels like me but also resonates to the locals in my area too. I am in West Virginia which is mostly rural, so I think it has that appeal that would be well received.

I'll be a voice of dissension and say that there is something I really like about Buttercup Rebel. I think its fun to say, memorable, and has a quirky blend of feminine/countryside, homemade/homegrown and stick-it-in-your-ear attitude.

Like a sweet-natured farmer's daughter, walking in a field of buttercups, wearing a flowy country dress and cowboy boots... but she's no pushover, and she will part your hair if you say something smart to her. Then she climbs in her 80's K-10 and sprays mud all over your purdy little beep-beep.
The way you described this is exactly how most people are around here. This description is the feel for the branding I was going for but could never put so eloquently.

I've kicked around some other possibilities but I really don't know if the locals would get it and worry it would feel too "fancy" and for the wrong market.

I think the cowgirl buttercup would make a great sticker for the packaging!

It's a really hard decision in general. I know I could always rebrand down the road if I needed to but don't want to waste time and money to do that. It's been a very polarizing name with the closest people around me. People seem to either love it or hate it. The people who know me best thinks its fitting which makes me feel more confident. But the others not liking it makes me doubt myself and my vision.

I've been wracking my brain for probably 3 years now thinking of a name that I thought represented me. I know my soaps is what's being sold but I feel like it's me that I am putting out there.

I really wanted something that feels like me but also resonates to the locals in my area too. I am in West Virginia which is mostly rural, so I think it has that appeal that would be well received.

The way you described this is exactly how most people are around here. This description is the feel for the branding I was going for but could never put so eloquently.

I've kicked around some other possibilities but I really don't know if the locals would get it and worry it would feel too "fancy" and for the wrong market.

I think the cowgirl buttercup would make a great sticker for the packaging!
If you like it, and your closest friends like it - then use it. I think you'll always be sorry if you don't. our @Ephemerella has a way with words, and obviously put your innermost thoughts/feelings into words which means that it does resonate with people you don't know.
People often ask me "Why Moose?" And that's because my dad called me The Moose ever since I was about two. I don't think I could call myself anything else and ever find a business name, so that's how Moose stuck.

If you like it, and your closest friends like it - then use it. I think you'll always be sorry if you don't. our @Ephemerella has a way with words, and obviously put your innermost thoughts/feelings into words which means that it does resonate with people you don't know.
People often ask me "Why Moose?" And that's because my dad called me The Moose ever since I was about two. I don't think I could call myself anything else and ever find a business name, so that's how Moose stuck.
I think that is the most adorable nickname. I can see why you used it for your business too.

It's been a very polarizing name with the closest people around me. People seem to either love it or hate it. The people who know me best thinks its fitting which makes me feel more confident. But the others not liking it makes me doubt myself and my vision.
This is where you start identifying your target market. The people who don't like the name, aren't your customers. Even if they love handmade soap, and love candle and love everything that you make... they aren't your customers, they're someone else's customers. Which is just fine — there really are enough customers to go around for everyone.

The people who are "meh" about your name will likely buy something from you because they genuinely like it, or want to support you... but the people who love your name can also come to love your vision. That means, whatever you make in the future, as long as it's authentic to your brand, they will be interested in trying. Unlike the other people who only want lavender whatever, your audience wants what you create because they believe in your vision, and your voice. Those are the people who you want to market to because they are receptive and eager for what you have to offer.

I love rural West Virginia. I've done a lot of fishing there and hope to get back one day. I think it's just about the prettiest state in the lower 48, and I truly enjoy the folk, and the ones I've met have a rebel streak a country mile wide, which I think is great and gives your beautiful state all that much more character.

and I think that's fun, quirky, unique, certainly memorable, and it comes from an honest, happy place inside you... and is reflected in your gorgeous creations!

I am having a hard time thinking of a business name. I had one that I liked but I've had mixed reactions to it.

My mom's and others input was that it should be something where people knew it was soap related right off the bat based off the name but really can't think of something original that hasn't been done yet that is relevant to me. I thought about adding soap co or something like that at the end but I think it would make it too long winded.

I was thinking of potentially selling stained glass artwork too down the road so wanted something that could apply to anything.

What's yalls approach to developing a business name?

The name I like is Buttercup Rebels.
I rather like Buttercup Rebels. It feels kind of youthful, and "of today". Wow do I feel old! The youth of today. For me, it evokes images of my daughter. She's smart and sweet, she is old-fashioned in some ways (she likes soaping with her Mom!), but she's also a 3D art designer who goes to Sakuracon. She has tattoos and piercings, which her mother definitely does not. That's what I feel is a Buttercup Rebel. Go for it! I like it already!

Latest posts

Back