Big Tree Supplies - Product Reviews

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldragbagger

Reaction score
Never used Big Tree before so I will be interested to follow this thread.

Also, I love your new avatar pic, Artisan. Pretty soaps.

Thanks for the doing the legwork. Haven't ordered from them before, so this is real help. :)

Jude

artisan soaps said:
FO's I've used in soap:

Monkey Farts (Karen confirmed she gets this from NG): soaped in a 100% Coconut oil bar and at 7wks I still have no discolouration, though I'm told by everyone it will .. I used 33% Lye strength and had no troubles with acceleration, and my notes say I added 12.5gm to 500gm oils (sounds a lot?) .. I just used a bar now and it only has a mild/medium scent which doesn't do much for me personally .. It's OK, seems popular with the masses regardless of if told the name, but I've ordered other tropical scents to try instead ..

Boy, I am shocked that no discoloration with Monkey Farts. I have made 2 batches with this scent, each a slightly different recipe and both turned dark brown, the color of milk chocolate. Both were a tan color out of the mold but took only 2 weeks for the color to get to that chocolate brown point.

artisan soaps said:
oldragbagger said:
Boy, I am shocked that no discoloration with Monkey Farts. I have made 2 batches with this scent, each a slightly different recipe and both turned dark brown, the color of milk chocolate. Both were a tan color out of the mold but took only 2 weeks for the color to get to that chocolate brown point.

Did you get yours from NG?

I'm told it will turn pale yellow, but so far it still looks just like it did in the pics I posted here:
http://soapmakingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10743

I love that soap, looks beautiful. No, I got mine from Wellington. I'm wondering if it's the coconut milk I used in both batches. I have to try it in a batch without milk.

OK, here's what I've used, that I can remember.

Alkmaar (Lushies) - on the reviews on the BTS website it said this f/o accellerates and discolours, so I was ready for it. I soaped cool, with a recipe 35% olive oil, and full water. It took me sooo long to get trace, next time I might discount the water a little. I guess it depends on the recipe the reviewer used.

Watermelon - Nice fruity smell, soaps easily but does discolour.
Lemongrass - Nice strong lemongrass smell. Soaped easily but it seems to fade quickly.
English Rose - Nice true rose scent. Quite strong. No problems soaping, no A or D. Sticks quite well in soap. It's a powdery type of rose scent.
Warm Vanilla Sugar - This is a real foodie type scent. Very nice and sugary. Doesn't accellerate but does discolour to a light caramel colour.
Frosted Cupcake - Nice sugary scent. Soaps well, no accelleration but does discolour.
And I've got a heap more, I will have to go check my book and put some more in.

I have tried a few in CP now....mostly used them in M&P when I first found Karen's site last year.

Macadamia Nut - No acceleration, no ricing...soaps beautifully. Smells very much the same in CP as oob. Possible discolouration to light tan. I used this in a single oil soap using RBO which soaps beige anyway, and it deepened the tone a bit. Scent holding up beautifully after 3 months so far. Soaped this fo at 3% and is strong. Possibly use at 2.5%.

Light Blue (D&G type) - Gorgeous! Perfect fo for CP soap truly :wink: Smells divine with no fade so far (3 months). No acceleration or ricing. I have since used a 33% lye solution with no worries. Soaped at 3%.

Tropical Rainforest - my all time favourite fo. No discolouration, no acceleration, wonderful scent! Holding up well even after 6 months. This is also perfect for body butters and lotion bars. Soaped at 3%.

I will update as I use more.

Tanya :)

I use my oils for making M & P and for candles.Bigtree Supplies has to be the best oil supply in Australia Karen has the best quality of oils that l have found so far.The level of service is fabulous,Karen sure knows how to look after her customer.
Here are a few of my latest buys.
Supa nova..Wasn't sure about this one it has a funny smell in the bottle that l couldn't quite place but in soap its great and a big success in bathbombs
Cucumber Wasabi Ciantro..Quite different you sure can smell the cucumber ,does well in soap came out smelling nice and fresh.
Black Vetyver Cafe Type..My new favourite .l could sit and smell this all day.Another extra sexy manly fragrance that soaped up beautifully just a little browning but oh so gorgeous.
Candy crush..bought for the grandaughter for some Princess soaps,she loves it but its just too sweet to please me.
Drakkar...Another aftershave type ,a nice spicy elegant fragrance should please the man in your life if he is like mine.
Midnight Pomegranate...Nice and fruity but l think l will add some vanilla next time ,it just seems to need something
Well thats me finished for now off to make some more soap so l can buy more oils. :lol:

Violet Blossom Soaped cool-38C,full water,3%FO. No A no D.
No problems with this at all.I even managed funnel swirls. Fragrance is a bit overpowering at the mo,2% may be better,but will update in 4wks. Smells just like Yardley Violets. :)

Darn it l knew l should have read the postings on the forum first l just put an order in and l was planning on ordering some Violet Blossom but clean forgot about it until checking this forum ,now l will have to wait a while until l can buy some ,my rates have just come in .I think our mayor must be getting fur lined undies for the amount we have to pay this year :x

I have some feedback on 2 more fos:-

Earth Goddess - I soaped at 1.5% oil weight and it is a little light - probably will work better at 2.5 - 3%. It has a light minty scent and I had added some pink grapefruit eo which complements it well. Nice, but not as earthy/herby as oob.

Tiger Eyes - grrrrrrrrrrrrr.......very nice! I soaped light at 1.5% and thought the scent had almost disappeared. However at 4 weeks cure the scent has been getting stronger every week. It has creamy oriental notes in my soap and very nice - masculine, but more unisex actually I think. I took it to a soap party tonight and every single person there loved it. Two thumbs up!

Tanya :)

I have a little problem with my Tiger Eyes it seems to have lost its scent.When l got it ,it was gorgeous and my first lot of soaps smelt wonderful.I held out the bottle today and asked my daughter what she thought of it ,thinking l am on a winner here but she said it doesn't smell of anything and she was right l seem to have a disappearing scent.Its stored with all the other oils in a dark drawer and hasn't been subject to heat etc so where has my scent gone :cry:

Well I've been at it again! Ive bought sooo many FO samples from all over,& out of about 30,only found 6 or so that a)I Like & b)My super sensitive schnoz tolerates! Latest endeavours......

White Tea & Ginger..this is beautiful.Light,ephemeral,really tea-ish,soft floral.OOB is divine.Unfortunately its SO light I don't think it's gonna stick around in CP. Used 4%(all I had)& it's easy to soap. No A or D,33%LSS. But it's only a week old & really faint already. :( Would be fantastic in B&B tho.... am going to try BB's version next.

Chocolate Mud Cake...YUMYUMYUM!!! OOB rich dark choc,almost cocoa,not sweet.The real deal! Soaped at 4%(once again,all I had).Result? Wet paper! WHAT a disappointment. Tempted to use it in sugar scrub 'cept I think I'd wanna eat it!

looks interesting, im in US, so it wouldnt help me. I couldnt find out how many ounces in their fo bottles? how much for 3.90?

New oils

Just a memo to all Karen's faithful followers ,she has some new oils in that look interesting.Bang goes the house keeping again.I can't help it l am just a collector of little brown bottles :lol: :lol:

Re: New oils

pops1 said:
Just a memo to all Karen's faithful followers ,she has some new oils in that look interesting.Bang goes the house keeping again.I can't help it l am just a collector of little brown bottles :lol: :lol:

LOL My problem is that my little brown bottles keep getting bigger.Evrytime I get 25ml I decide I need 100,then the 250..where will it all end??( I ordered my first 500ml bottle of EO last week & already thinking it's more economical to buy a litre :shock: ) And now Karen's got bathbomb colours & gel icing colours to tempt us as well.Ah dear! :D

I am a shocker when it comes to new fragrances l want them all.So l have lots and lots of little bottles while l decide which ones l really like and its getting out of hand.I am only producing soap in a small way so l haven't got to the really big bottles yet which is just as well because space is at a premium in my craft/computer room.
I can recommend for M & P "Secret Garden" its a gorgeous old fashioned sort of fragrance which l know is going to stay on my "love it list" and since Christmas is coming up a good fragrance for Nana presents.Needs to stand for at least a week if you are making Soy wax melts.

Back