Draggy soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnez

What if I....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Being I'm a somewhat novice soap maker I'm curious what could be causing a draggy soap. Basically it is not smooth against my skin during use. Wondering if it's cure time too short (4 weeks), recipe (below), or just a fact of life. I have had soaps from big artisans that are also draggy. If it's a matter of recipe, is there any FAs I should raise or lower, or attributes I should worry about? Additives that help?

This is CPed btw, and thrown in the fridge for a day. It is a tree Marie recipe (I believe!).

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230221-131602-473.png
    Screenshot_20230221-131602-473.png
    333.9 KB · Views: 0
I don't know why, but sometimes I find soap draggy for the first few uses, almost like it had some sort of coating on it. But after that, it's fine.
I have noticed this too with the recipe.
I don't like shea butter in soaps because they always feel that way to me.
Hmm. I'll try lowering Shea next time.

I don't know why, but sometimes I find soap draggy for the first few uses, almost like it had some sort of coating on it. But after that, it's fine.
Same here. I have to give it a few rubs and rinses even after I have used it, but let it sit for a while. Like it developed a skin or something that prevents lathering between uses.

Being I'm a somewhat novice soap maker I'm curious what could be causing a draggy soap. Basically it is not smooth against my skin during use. Wondering if it's cure time too short (4 weeks), recipe (below), or just a fact of life. I have had soaps from big artisans that are also draggy. If it's a matter of recipe, is there any FAs I should raise or lower, or attributes I should worry about? Additives that help?

This is CPed btw, and thrown in the fridge for a day. It is a tree Marie recipe (I believe!).
If it continues to feel draggy try aloe Vera. I use powder in hot process so I’d see how to add it for cold process. Or corn silk in lye water is nice. I eat corn all summer long and dry the silk then pulverize it.

I use about a teaspoon for two-three pounds of oil. A little goes a long way.
I use about a tsp of aloe Vera powder ppo
I used some tonight-I added it to the water before lye. It didn’t fully dissolve, so I had to strain it out. Is this because it’s not dry enough? Should I have pulverized it in a spice grinder or pestle first? Thank you 😊

I guess I'm the only weirdo who uses a washcloth 🤣
Personally, I never liked the thought or feel of a soap bar on my skin. Plus, I spent most of my young life sharing a bathroom with a little brother and boys are nasty 🤣 I never understood how the soap bar looked dirty after he took a shower so I always used a washcloth to pick it up and wash it off (and fully rinsed out my washcloth) before I lathered up for my washing! And thus the washcloth habit has stayed with me 🤷🏼‍♀️

Thank you! It did look like there was something left behind from it but of course I couldn’t feel it with my hands. I’ll experiment with it and boiling water to understand the process better.
I tend to prefer tussah silk over corn silk bc tussah always dissolves completely in my hot lye masterbatch. Maybe that’s because I make large batches which therefor stay hot longer? Whatever the reason, I don’t ever have any undissolved bits of tussah, whereas I always have to strain out some undissolved corn silk.

Back