Before I Blow Up my Basement...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapySuds

The Suds Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a really old and working perculator coffee pot, like the ones you find in old churches.

I want to use it to melt soy wax. It seems like it would be perfect... heats stuff up, has a spigot.... of course this would be a one trick pony from here on out, no more coffee, only wax. Melt, pour, mix scent then into container.

My question: has anyone else done this? With success? Anyone missing a limb from doing this?

I use a double boiler method to melt wax, so am not sure. I would think using the percolator would be more like using a direct heating element/eye and may burn the wax.
That being said, if you don't mind taking a chance on ruining the percolator and maybe some wax, you could test a small batch and see how it goes. If it was me and I was trying this, I would keep a close eye on the temperature and unplug or turn it off as soon as your wax gets to 185F, add fragrance, then stir gently until reaches pouring temperature.

Back