Before I Blow Up my Basement...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapySuds

The Suds Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a really old and working perculator coffee pot, like the ones you find in old churches.

I want to use it to melt soy wax. It seems like it would be perfect... heats stuff up, has a spigot.... of course this would be a one trick pony from here on out, no more coffee, only wax. Melt, pour, mix scent then into container.

My question: has anyone else done this? With success? Anyone missing a limb from doing this?

I use a double boiler method to melt wax, so am not sure. I would think using the percolator would be more like using a direct heating element/eye and may burn the wax.
That being said, if you don't mind taking a chance on ruining the percolator and maybe some wax, you could test a small batch and see how it goes. If it was me and I was trying this, I would keep a close eye on the temperature and unplug or turn it off as soon as your wax gets to 185F, add fragrance, then stir gently until reaches pouring temperature.

Latest posts

Back