August 2021 SMF Soap Challenge - Ombre Designs

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did both of my attempts yesterday. I was so proud of myself for actually planning/designing this soap ahead of time instead of just winging it! I even used a color palette and color matched on Nurture Soaps website after a little help in their Facebook group. I think Nurture Soap is becoming my favorite supplier! Also glad I watched a Kilo Soap YouTube video and stuck with their recommendation of a 70% white/30%color split… it made my math a little easier. And pouring was easier than I was thinking it would be… I just poured 70% of my batter into a pitcher the split the remainder for my colors then added the white batter or the next color (for color change) as I went. Also per another tutorial I didn’t mix my color until I was ready to use it so it wouldn’t accelerate. It went surprisingly smoothly until I realized my first batch was not quite enough to fill my mold…ETA this was the first time SM3 has failed me! So I had to adjust the second recipe to fix it. But I’m pretty satisfied with both tries. This was so fun!

Last edited:
I did both of my attempts yesterday. I was so proud of myself for actually planning/designing this soap ahead of time instead of just winging it! I even used a color palette and color matched on Nurture Soaps website after a little help in their Facebook group. I think Nurture Soap is becoming my favorite supplier! Also glad I watched a Kilo Soap YouTube video and stuck with their recommendation of a 70% white/30%color split… it made my math a little easier. And pouring was easier than I was thinking it would be… I just poured 70% of my batter into a pitcher the split the remainder for my colors then added the white batter or the next color (for color change) as I went. Also per another tutorial I didn’t mix my color until I was ready to use it so it wouldn’t accelerate. It went surprisingly smoothly until I realized my first batch was not quite enough to fill my mold…so I had to adjust the second recipe to fix it. But I’m pretty satisfied with both tries. This was so fun!
Nurture Soap has a fb group?! I'll have to find that.

Where did you find all your tutorials? I had a hard time finding many detailed tutorials. Or maybe I didn't pay enough attention to the ones I watched..... :)

Where did you find all your tutorials? I had a hard time finding many detailed tutorials. Or maybe I didn't pay enough attention to the ones I watched..... :)
I watched all kinds on YouTube at work one night!
Kilo Soap Co. Has a couple & I though they were the one that recommended the 70/30 split… but now I’m not sure. But her video/technique is the one I like the most.

Kilo Soap Co.

This one was cool too, but a little above my skill level. She’s the one that recommended mixing colors when needed.

Smudge

Nurture Soap’s Facebook group is pretty cool. The group definitely help me make sure I picked the right mica to match my palette!

Nurture Soap- For the love of Soap

Have Fun! 🤩

I watched all kinds on YouTube at work one night!
Kilo Soap Co. Has a couple & I though they were the one that recommended the 70/30 split… but now I’m not sure. But her video/technique is the one I like the most.

Kilo Soap Co.

This one was cool too, but a little above my skill level. She’s the one that recommended mixing colors when needed.

Smudge

Have Fun! 🤩
Thank you!

After reading the comments about some attempts, I’m getting so nervous!! Haha. My first attempt is in the mold already. I used one of my more fluid recipes, but I think the color may have thickened up the batter. It was thick right away and all the mixing I had to do when adding more color for the ombré effect may have effectively added a ton of bubbles to the soap too. It was super gloppy at the end, but I’m holding out hope the effect will be more interesting than disastrous. 😅😂

After reading the comments about some attempts, I’m getting so nervous!! Haha. My first attempt is in the mold already. I used one of my more fluid recipes, but I think the color may have thickened up the batter. It was thick right away and all the mixing I had to do when adding more color for the ombré effect may have effectively added a ton of bubbles to the soap too. It was super gloppy at the end, but I’m holding out hope the effect will be more interesting than disastrous. 😅😂
My base color thickened up during the pour… but I found the advice of not mixing the colors until you’re ready to pour very helpful. Once I mixed the color (disbursed with batch oil) with the base batter it thinned out considerably. And each time I added base to lighten, it stayed pretty fluid throughout the pour. I’m sure all the stirring and mixing helped keep everything fluid. My hand cramped from stirring!

I keep reading the rules post to see when the entry challenge post will be opened! I can’t wait… I still haven’t decided which try I want to enter and I’m actually considering attempting one more try! But still, why must I be soooo impatient!?!?

Welp, definitely not going to have a chance to do a second attempt (school starting, hockey starting, etc., etc.), so first one is going to have to be it! I like it, but I don't love it. It didn't quite turn out the way I had envisioned.

Last edited:
My base color thickened up during the pour… but I found the advice of not mixing the colors until you’re ready to pour very helpful. Once I mixed the color (disbursed with batch oil) with the base batter it thinned out considerably. And each time I added base to lighten, it stayed pretty fluid throughout the pour. I’m sure all the stirring and mixing helped keep everything fluid. My hand cramped from stirring!

Even though I’ve already practiced 🤣, I forgot how long it took me to make a gradient soap last weekend. Without thinking, I added the FO to everything before I started to pour this morning. I must have totally missed the advice about holding the colorants back, but it totally makes sense as an extra precaution. The batter started to thicken up towards the end, but with stirring and then tapping and jiggling, I got it to smooth out (fingers crossed and ever hopeful…).

Haaaaa! I couldn’t wait any more! Posted my entry after a quick decision on the fly!
So here is my non entry try. Also a pretty awesome soap. My moon embed shifted and I don’t like the angle but love the colors and the design! Will probably try this again with the embeds just to see if I can get the placement right. I poured top to bottom thinking it would be easier to get the moon and sun where I wanted it. It was not! I used my T&S and I guess my hands are not as skinny as my mold and had trouble reaching the bottom.
03866D27-B2E8-40B3-994D-D59FA4009F6F.jpeg

E98E459C-DFFD-401A-BBE0-6E6C351020B4.jpeg

I’m pretty excited about this soap! I actually planned and picked out a color palette. It was pretty fun too! My first time using an embed in the soap. Placement was a pain! But this is Tequila Sunrise:
View attachment 60185
View attachment 60186
Thanks @dibbles for the wonderful challenge! I enjoyed it more than most!
@violets2217 I literally gasped when I saw your entry. Amazing work!

I'm waiting for my oils & lye to cool down so I can make my entry.

I literally gasped when I saw your entry. Amazing work!
I DID TOO when I first saw it! lol! Thanks! I'm pretty proud of myself and glad @dibbles hosted this challenge. It was so much fun!

Without thinking, I added the FO to everything before I started to pour this morning.

Question, so I had my dispersed colors in my small pouring containers, then poured the base batter in at correct weight. I didn't stir until I was ready to use, but I'm thinking.... I'm lucky my FO was very well behaved because I just poured it in from the beginning. Could I have evenly split it between my dispersed mica? Or would the fragrance have been unevenly distributed throughout the soap and cause problems?

Haaaaa! I couldn’t wait any more! Posted my entry after a quick decision on the fly!
So here is my non entry try. Also a pretty awesome soap. My moon embed shifted and I don’t like the angle but love the colors and the design! Will probably try this again with the embeds just to see if I can get the placement right. I poured top to bottom thinking it would be easier to get the moon and sun where I wanted it. It was not! I used my T&S and I guess my hands are not as skinny as my mold and had trouble reaching the bottom.
View attachment 60187

View attachment 60188
It's beautiful!!

And here's my second batch that I decided not to submit. I was going for a white to black ombre but didn't anticipate the obscene amount of TD I'd need to achieve it. Perhaps I should have gone white to black but I have such issues with soda ash, I wanted to do the black first. I would have submitted this though, I think, if my embed hadn't displaced my ombre quite so much. How did you manage it Violet? (Also, need to figure out how to tag people....)

Attachments

• 20210821_151447.jpg
    20210821_151447.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 24
@CpnDouchette Nice soap! The red from the butterfly is a great pop of color.
The dilution factor is what I’ve found most challenging about doing a gradient. So far, I’ve tried gradients with oil-infused botanicals, clays and micas and they all seem to be a little different. Then there’s the TD factor! What did you use for black? I want to try this technique with an AC salt (light amount) soap.

You tag someone by putting the “@“ right before the name: “@CpnDouchette“ @CpnDouchette. If you do it right, a list of names will pop up.

@violets2217 may have built her soap upside down, i.e. with the embed at the bottom of the mold at the start.

Back