August 2021 SMF Soap Challenge - Ombre Designs

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Errr. So I made my first attempt. I was in a hurry (we have company and me disappearing into my soap lair for too long wasn't polite) and my design needs a very fluid batter. I checked on the soap this morning and peeked at the top of the soap. Characteristic crackle look on the surface of the soap. I did not properly emulsify my fats and lye solution. RATS!! I worried that would happen. Used a higher lard/tallow blend and it can be a tricky recipe to see true emulsion. But, that's ok because the design didn't turn out as I had envisioned anyway. And the colors didn't execute.

Back to the drawing board...

Last edited:
Supporting Members can enter immediately, the time and post requirements are removed.
Oh shoot! Bummer, I thought supporting members didn’t have this, must’ve just been for last month. Whoops!
Nope, you're right! I should have read the rule all the way through - I just got to the reference I thought I needed. See... even us challenge mods have trouble with the rules! Although... I thought there was some disagreement with the admins regarding this new rule, I may need clarification from @Relle and @Angie to make sure we're still up to date.

In the meantime, as my list was still the last posted, I edited Future_Ghost back in.

Nope, you're right! I should have read the rule all the way through - I just got to the reference I thought I needed. See... even us challenge mods have trouble with the rules! Although... I thought there was some disagreement with the admins regarding this new rule, I may need clarification from @Relle and @Angie to make sure we're still up to date.

In the meantime, as my list was still the last posted, I edited Future_Ghost back in.
😂 yay I’m back in! Thank you!!

No change in the rules, the June challenge had supporting members need no time and post requirements as Future Ghost quoted.

If you would like to sign up for the challenge, copy and paste into a new reply adding your name to the list.
Sign-up List:

1. Future_Ghost - I’m game
2. Vicki C - I’ve never tried this but YES!
3. MrsZ - I don't know if I can pull it off, but I'd like to try!
4. The Phoenix - Whee!!!
5. Tara_H - got to squeeze this in!
6. The_Emerald_Chicken - Slightly intimidated, but down for an attempt!
7. peachymoon - Excited to try this!
8. @Zing -- Excited about this and anxious to add to my series of alternating wall pours
9. Cpndouchette - I have been working up to reaching the 50 Post threshold so I can enter!
10. Maryloucb--okay, I'll throw my hat in the ring for this one!
11. amd - this is one of my favorite soap designs we'll see if I can finally master it
12. Future_Ghost
13. MysPhoenix

If you would like to sign up for the challenge, copy and paste into a new reply adding your name to the list.
Sign-up List:

4. The Phoenix - Whee!!!
8. @Zing -- Excited about this and anxious to add to my series of alternating wall pours
9. Cpndouchette - I have been working up to reaching the 50 Post threshold so I can enter!
11. amd - this is one of my favorite soap designs we'll see if I can finally master it
12. MysPhoenix

Sign-up List:

4. The Phoenix - Whee!!!
12. MysPhoenix
🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️ I didn't see Future_Ghost was all ready added on top! Thank you for catching that, lol.

Sign-up List:

4. The Phoenix - Whee!!!
12. MysPhoenix
13. ScentimentallyYours, Cathy in MA - I’ve had an ombré design in mind for several years and this will motivate me to make it!

Last edited:
4. The Phoenix - Whee!!!
12. MysPhoenix
13. ScentimentallyYours, Cathy in MA - I’ve had an ombré design in mind for several years and this will motivate me to make it!
14. glendam - I have an idea, hopefully it works

I've made 4 batches now trying to get a decent ombre. I'm reasonably happy with one attempt, but I doubt it's challenge worthy. I'm having a very tough time getting my colors to shift noticeably. I have a layer of one color, then it very quickly gets to almost the color I want it to finish at. I'm following the video linked up top, and just not getting satisfying results. If anyone has any tips, I'd appreciate it. :) Although I'm getting tired of ombre and might not attempt again for a while.

I've made 4 batches now trying to get a decent ombre. I'm reasonably happy with one attempt, but I doubt it's challenge worthy. I'm having a very tough time getting my colors to shift noticeably. I have a layer of one color, then it very quickly gets to almost the color I want it to finish at. I'm following the video linked up top, and just not getting satisfying results. If anyone has any tips, I'd appreciate it. :) Although I'm getting tired of ombre and might not attempt again for a while.
I'm sure your attempt is challenge worthy. There were several videos linked - was there one in particular that you were following? You can post more specific questions here, or PM me and I'm happy to help however I can.

I find that the ombré technique does require patience! and a very fluid batter. I try to do a very gradual change of colors, just adding a few drops at a time, and it goes well for the first few layers, then I lose patience towards the end like in this soap

Attachments

• 45270605-A749-4389-89D0-9ADB33D4B266.jpeg
    45270605-A749-4389-89D0-9ADB33D4B266.jpeg
    48.1 KB · Views: 27
I find that the ombré technique does require patience! and a very fluid batter. I try to do a very gradual change of colors, just adding a few drops at a time, and it goes well for the first few layers, then I lose patience towards the end like in this soap
It's beautiful though!

Latest posts

Back