August 2021 SMF Soap Challenge - Ombre Designs

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sure your attempt is challenge worthy. There were several videos linked - was there one in particular that you were following? You can post more specific questions here, or PM me and I'm happy to help however I can.
Thank you! I've watched all the linked videos. I think maybe I'm being too picky. I am going to try one more time using drops of dispersed mica as in the last video. If I can't get it, I may pm you with more questions. Thanks. :)

I don't know which one I'll enter yet, or I'd post pics of my attempts.

Errr. So I made my first attempt. I was in a hurry (we have company and me disappearing into my soap lair for too long wasn't polite) and my design needs a very fluid batter. I checked on the soap this morning and peeked at the top of the soap. Characteristic crackle look on the surface of the soap. I did not properly emulsify my fats and lye solution. RATS!! I worried that would happen. Used a higher lard/tallow blend and it can be a tricky recipe to see true emulsion. But, that's ok because the design didn't turn out as I had envisioned anyway. And the colors didn't execute.

Back to the drawing board...
Ahh.. that’s what that is? I had the same look. Didn’t want to overstir.

Monday at 10:07 PM

1. Future_Ghost - I’m game
2. Vicki C - I’ve never tried this but YES!
3. MrsZ - I don't know if I can pull it off, but I'd like to try!
4. The Phoenix - Whee!!!
5. Tara_H - got to squeeze this in!
6. The_Emerald_Chicken - Slightly intimidated, but down for an attempt!
7. peachymoon - Excited to try this!
8. @Zing -- Excited about this and anxious to add to my series of alternating wall pours
9. Cpndouchette - I have been working up to reaching the 50 Post threshold so I can enter!
10. Maryloucb--okay, I'll throw my hat in the ring for this one!
11. amd - this is one of my favorite soap designs we'll see if I can finally master it
12. MysPhoenix
13. ScentimentallyYours, Cathy in MA - I’ve had an ombré design in mind for several years and this will motivate me to make it!
14. glendam - I have an idea, hopefully it works
15. bookreader451- I have a few days off and finally made soap yesterday, and thought hhhmmm I want to do an hombre tomorrow! Well here is my chance....and it is tomorrow.

I got my indigo, so I will be making my first attempt tonight I think. I'm going to do it backwards from how I've done it in the past: I'm going to start with the darkest color, because I want it at the bottom, and then gradually add the uncolored batter to the colored batter. The hardest part I think will be figuring out how much colored vs. uncolored I will need.

My fifth attempt worked! Hooray!
You are persistent! I might try 2 times, and if I don't succeed by then, forget it! I had an idea for a design all mapped out in my mind, and then when it came down to it I changed it at the last minute. I don't think the batter would have stayed fluid long enough for my first idea, so I improvised. I might have to give it more thought if my first attempt is a flop!

You are persistent! I might try 2 times, and if I don't succeed by then, forget it! I had an idea for a design all mapped out in my mind, and then when it came down to it I changed it at the last minute. I don't think the batter would have stayed fluid long enough for my first idea, so I improvised. I might have to give it more thought if my first attempt is a flop!
I don't tend to give up easily. Sometimes it might be better if I did..... 😁

I am looking forward to seeing your soap! Mine is just a super plain ombre.

Sign-up list:

4. The Phoenix - Whee!!!
8. @Zing -- Excited about this and anxious to add to my series of alternating wall pours
9. Cpndouchette - I have been working up to reaching the 50 Post threshold so I can enter!
11. amd - this is one of my favorite soap designs we'll see if I can finally master it
12. MysPhoenix
13. ScentimentallyYours, Cathy in MA - I’ve had an ombré design in mind for several years and this will motivate me to make it!
15. bookreader451- I have a few days off and finally made soap yesterday, and thought hhhmmm I want to do an hombre tomorrow! Well here is my chance....and it is tomorrow.
16. Mobjack Bay - Yvonne made it look so easy

Sign-up list:

4. The Phoenix - Whee!!!
12. MysPhoenix
17. I was wondering why it was so quiet on the challenge front, I forgot to sign up! Thought for sure I did last week. 🙄🤪

Sign-up list:

4. The Phoenix - Whee!!!
12. MysPhoenix
17. violets2217 - I was wondering why it was so quiet on the challenge front, I forgot to sign up! Thought for sure I did last week. 🙄🤪

I've made one attempt but definitely not happy with it. The colours aren't what I had in mind and I knocked the mould as I was pouring. Hopefully I can squeeze in another attempt next week

Latest posts

Back