August 2021 SMF Soap Challenge - Ombre Designs

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Loving all the entries. Here's my fail... forgetting that this FO accelerates was my downfall.
1629923318893.png

As a soap, I'm happy considering the amount of plopping and pounding it took to get it into the mold. As an ombre it's a fail for me - I wanted several gradient pours of each color hoping for some wispy action between the brown/orange/blues and settled for 2 each as it was moving so fast. The last color is quite a chunky mix of the two colors.

So here is my attempt, didn’t quite work but I like how two of the bars turned. I tried a rose pull screen I had 3d printed a while back but had not tested it. The first two bars do resemble roses. The rest seem like brain scans or brains with blood clots. I colored 6 different portions of soap with gradient colors, but the ombré effect is not very noticeable.

Attachments

• C87F409D-1882-45AF-9611-87B563A87528.jpeg
    C87F409D-1882-45AF-9611-87B563A87528.jpeg
    126.2 KB · Views: 41
Oh that’s funny I just posted that I found a 1/3 dark 2/3 light batter worked well - I probably read your post and forgot!

I so wanna try to copy you pour!! Beautiful! I've never tried a column pour. Did you use your center embeds as your column? You did that for The Soap Challenge Club Column Pour with you flowers, right? That was you correct? Those were also awesome!!! Anyways, I will be using your soap as "inspiration" for my next project! :rolleyes:;)

The entry thread is now closed and the survey link and password have been send via PM to everyone who signed up. If I missed you, let me know. The winner will be announced on August 29th, or sooner if all the votes are in. Thank you to everyone who tried this month. And I just want to also say good job everyone on remembering to keep comments out of the entry thread. The entries were so beautiful and it can be hard to remember to not immediately comment :) It does help us (challenge hosts) and is appreciated!

Good luck everyone! I hope you learned something, added a new tool to your soapy tool box or just had fun this month.

Um, @Vicki C , you're sounding like @ResolvableOwl just now. Bigu-what now?!

I wondered the same thing and had to search on the big wide web. I love it when the first result is the Urban Dictionary:

Bigulate
The process of a person or object growing in size, mass, or volume.
Yo man, that girl's thicker than a Snicker now, but give her a couple of years and that broad's gonna bigulate.

So, I'm gonna guess she enlarged the picture?

I'm really impressed from this month's outcomes! Big Wow! to all submitters! I don't envy the participants for having to choose their three favourites. It's a tricky technique for intricate designs (like @violets2217 @The_Phoenix @Vicki C …), but it's also tricky for “simple” designs (like @MrsZ @maryloucb @The_Emerald_Chicken …). To obtain proper colour blending, one just cannot cheat around the know-all wisdoms of your arts teacher (and math teacher 😜).

Um, @Vicki C , you're sounding like @ResolvableOwl just now. Bigu-what now?!
Is it really that bad with me?

My day went nuts yesterday, and I missed the deadline 😓 Note to self-Stop waiting until the last minute to do things.

beautiful ombres everyone!

this was one of two I attempted, I tried to get this one to have many little ombres of browns. I could have been more patient with adding my colorants to get a better effect. I was also trying to force glycerin rivers between the sections, so I think I made it trickier on myself than it had to be!

Attachments

• 07A98BCC-4415-472E-AC5C-D0FE46E5080F.jpeg
    07A98BCC-4415-472E-AC5C-D0FE46E5080F.jpeg
    192.7 KB · Views: 32
My day went nuts yesterday, and I missed the deadline 😓 Note to self-Stop waiting until the last minute to do things.

beautiful ombres everyone!

this was one of two I attempted, I tried to get this one to have many little ombres of browns. I could have been more patient with adding my colorants to get a better effect. I was also trying to force glycerin rivers between the sections, so I think I made it trickier on myself than it had to be!
Wow.

@ResolvableOwl, I say this with great affection that I really like your vocabulary!

@Future_Ghost - Really incredible -- great job! I am curious about your colorants and the scent. I really like it.
Thank you! My colorants are cocoa powder, powdered chaga mushroom, red sandalwood, and French red clay. It’s much pinker seeming in real life! It’s scented in a mix of tobacco, leather and myrrh :)

I so wanna try to copy you pour!! Beautiful! I've never tried a column pour. Did you use your center embeds as your column? You did that for The Soap Challenge Club Column Pour with you flowers, right? That was you correct? Those were also awesome!!! Anyways, I will be using your soap as "inspiration" for my next project! :rolleyes:;)
I’m so flattered! Yes I used center embeds as my columns, and yes those were mine in the Soap Challenge Club Column Pour. Check out what Chassidy from Wild Plantanica did for the same challenge - I think I like her soap dough center columns better than mine although I’m not sure it was really a column pour per se
A little advice, if you decide to use a bottle for the column make sure it is firmly fixed to the mold as it will float, which makes for a disaster. (Says she of the floating bottle disaster…) Also, don’t worry about fancy shapes on the column. Round is fine, you can change the appearance with a skewer after. In fact I sort of think it’s better to use round for controlling your design.
I can’t wait to see your soaps!

I wondered the same thing and had to search on the big wide web. I love it when the first result is the Urban Dictionary:

Bigulate
The process of a person or object growing in size, mass, or volume.
Yo man, that girl's thicker than a Snicker now, but give her a couple of years and that broad's gonna bigulate.

So, I'm gonna guess she enlarged the picture?
Oh wow, did not know it was in the Urban Dictionary… my point of reference was from an episode of the Simpsons 😄 wherein Lisa is debigulated into a society that lives in her science project. Bigulate just became part of our family lexicon. And now it can be part of yours!

Latest posts

Back