August 2021 SMF Soap Challenge - Ombre Designs

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I watched all kinds on YouTube at work one night!
Kilo Soap Co. Has a couple & I though they were the one that recommended the 70/30 split… but now I’m not sure. But her video/technique is the one I like the most.

Kilo Soap Co.

This one was cool too, but a little above my skill level. She’s the one that recommended mixing colors when needed.

Smudge

Nurture Soap’s Facebook group is pretty cool. The group definitely help me make sure I picked the right mica to match my palette!

Nurture Soap- For the love of Soap

Have Fun! 🤩

Really enjoying these links to soapers thank you :)

Here’s an ombre gradient that is good enough to eat ❤ Wow, that green! I bet making this with Matcha is at least as satisfying as soaping with it

39B543A7-4B24-4C2A-881D-8001BD79CD93.jpeg

😋 Reminds me of another cake adaption of a soap challenge – we have never got a glimpse on @Ladka's Lollipop cheesecake!
I can't remember trying to make a soap cheesecake but I do remember my failure at lollipop swirl soap.
I still have many "bars" of varying forms and colour patterns.
My cake adaptation of lollipop swirl was eaten before I remembered to take any pictures :(

Attachments

• Ponesrečen lollipop pomlad 20 IMG_5726.JPG
    Ponesrečen lollipop pomlad 20 IMG_5726.JPG
    226 KB · Views: 9
  • Ponesrečen lollipop pomlad 20 IMG_5729.JPG
    Ponesrečen lollipop pomlad 20 IMG_5729.JPG
    172.9 KB · Views: 9
  • Ponesrečen lollipop pomlad 20 IMG_5732.JPG
    Ponesrečen lollipop pomlad 20 IMG_5732.JPG
    208.8 KB · Views: 8
  • Ponesrečen lollipop pomlad 2021 IMG_5725.JPG
    Ponesrečen lollipop pomlad 2021 IMG_5725.JPG
    186 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
My cake adaptation of lollipop swirl was eaten before I remembered to take any pictures :(
That was what I was referring to 🤭. Isn't it a compliment on its own when your audience was “too fast for your social media to keep pace”? 😂

Those nearly-lollipop soaps were already with your self-rendered tallow? It'd be the perfect fit, optically. Everyone will believe you that you ground down cows to make these soaps out of them!

A little late but this was my other round of ombré flower soap - I like these but wish there were more contrast in light / dark between the two colors. I’m going to keep working on these!View attachment 60501
Any chance of a making-of video? These are gorgeous, I'd love to see exactly how you do it!

I’m taking photos today, so here are two other ombre gradient pours I made last month. The first is with gromwell-infused oil. It seemed really grey when I made it, but I like the color a bit better a month later. I didn’t take a photo until now, so maybe the color changed.

70BA187E-2055-4E2E-9345-3CDDBA269C3E.jpeg

This next one is made with clays. The holes are probably air bubbles, but the spots are salt. I had the wild idea of creating dappled layers in the ombre. 🤣

0D4FBAB4-704C-4229-BB54-469ABA8FF094.jpeg

I’m taking photos today, so here are two other ombre gradient pours I made last month. The first is with gromwell-infused oil. It seemed really grey when I made it, but I like the color a bit better a month later. I didn’t take a photo until now, so maybe the color changed.

View attachment 60778

This next one is made with clays. The holes are probably air bubbles, but the spots are salt. I had the wild idea of creating dappled layers in the ombre. 🤣

View attachment 60780
Love that top photo! You shoulda entered it in the challenge!

View attachment 60778

View attachment 60780
Both really nice. I am trying to make snow out of salt for a winter scene but I don’t see it showing up at all! There must be a secret…

Both really nice. I am trying to make snow out of salt for a winter scene but I don’t see it showing up at all! There must be a secret…
@Vicki C If you are interested in other ideas for snow outside of using salt, there's a video on YouTube where the soaper makes the snow out of white melt and pour soap sifted through a sieve (one with a wider mesh), I found it a brilliant idea and I wonder if you can do this with soap dough too. (I really love that video and I think it's not the first time I'm posting it around here haha 😁 ) I'm thinking to try this for my Christmas soap too!

I did another ombre pour a couple of weeks ago using a blend of discoloring FOs - BB‘s Dark Rich Chocolate, which turns dark brown and Expresso, which turns a deep caramel color. I used some coffee-infused oil in the recipe and added the FO blend to 50% of the batter. It was an interesting exercise because the discoloration takes time and there was no visual cue for the color while I was making the soap.

3BF69737-EA32-4F3A-9920-ED533824580C.jpeg
Here’s the soap right after I cut it.
88C0B5F7-3404-4E69-A717-E8B5B0E083C8.jpeg

Latest posts

Back