Another question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yadonm

Reaction score
Suppose I have $50 maybe $75 to spend in colorants and e/o or f/o. What would you purchase? I need more colorants than F/O.

I don't know what colorants you have. I would probably buy sample sizes of cp safe micas and pigments and then FOs or EOs.

I don't know what colorants you have. I would probably buy sample sizes of cp safe micas and pigments and then FOs or EOs.

I guess more to the point is I am gaining experience with some of the techniques but I need to work on colors and fragrances. I have a fair amount of EO/FO but I don't think I have a good color base.

For colors I don't think you even need to spend that much. I got sample sizes of oxides and ultramarines to start, and MONTHS later I'm still not out! I got mine from TKB Trading. The colors that seemed to be recommended and that I got were:

Chromium Oxide Green
Hydrated Chromium Oxide Green (this was a smaller sample size, but a really pretty color)
Titanium Dioxide
Red Oxide (red shade)
Yellow Oxide
Ultramarine Blue (very potent color)
Ultramarine Pink (very weak color, needs much more then the others to color adequately)
Ultramarine Violet

The sample sizes are only $1.50 and lasted quite a bit longer then I expected.

I did the same as JennH but purchased mine from WSP. I still have my sample packs since it doesn't take very much to color with pigments and I don't typically make large batches. I presaturated all of mine in sweet almond oil in 4 oz squeeze bottles and keep them in the fridge. When I need a color it's all ready to go.

You could also get the sample pack of neons.

Thanks for your advice. In the last few days I've made 5 batches of soap and I'm feeling like I'm repeating a lot of my colors. An order is on its way!

you can also color them naturally, perhaps you already had some of these powders in your kitchen. turmeric, cinnamon, spinach, clays (pink, green, red, off white), saffron, spirulina, cocoa, paprika, act. charcoal, etc..

then maybe just get the oxides and micas for the other colors not listed above..

Where is the best place to get sample packs of the neons? And anyone know anywhere with sample packs of mica? I haven't seen that, the mica seems so much more expensive.

Latest posts

Back