How much faster does tallow trace than lard?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've now done three or four batches with the tallow I bought and it really does trace faster than lard for me. Not unworkable, but noticeable. I like the hardness it brings to the bars, but there is a trade off in speed during the make.

I've now done three or four batches with the tallow I bought and it really does trace faster than lard for me. Not unworkable, but noticeable. I like the hardness it brings to the bars, but there is a trade off in speed during the make.
Same for me- it does trace faster than lard, but slower than CO, PO, PKO, or butters.

Well, I must respectfully disagree :) and here is why.

Your first/fast recipe also included a combined total of 25% coconut and castor, both of which are fast movers.

Your second recipe included 40% lard, which is a very slow mover. After the 40% tallow, you don't mention what oils made up the remaining 20%. But even if it was all CO, it was still less than what you used in the first recipe. Just those changes alone would have made a significant difference in speed of trace.

Speed of trace would have been affected by the temperature of the lye and oils, how much water you used, what additives were used (including EOs and FOs), and how much you stick-blended.

Bottom line, unless you use the exact same recipe (including all additives), and you also controlled for all of the other variables, it's really not a fair comparison between your home-rendered tallow and the store-bought tallow. In my own experience, I've used both, and I don't see any difference in speed of trace. YMMV ;)
I totally agree with you that the comparison is nor fair. 🤝
What I was trying to imply, there is the big difference between suet tallow and the tallow from Essential Depot in terms of hardness at room temp. Even Essential Depot on their website points out that: "This product may not be solid at room temperature. If you require a product that is solid at room temperature then you should order the more expensive tallow rendered only from the kidney fat of the cattle", which is suet tallow that I used at the beginning.

And I think it might effect the trace. But yes, you are right, the recipe was different. Now I do 40% tallow, 40% lard, 25% coconut,5% castor, no olive oil.
Not trying to argue here. As a matter of fact, I still have some beef suet left in the freezer, just need to render it. I will absolutely try that same recipe and see if there is a difference.

Well, I must respectfully disagree :) and here is why.

Your first/fast recipe also included a combined total of 25% coconut and castor, both of which are fast movers.

Your second recipe included 40% lard, which is a very slow mover. After the 40% tallow, you don't mention what oils made up the remaining 20%. But even if it was all CO, it was still less than what you used in the first recipe. Just those changes alone would have made a significant difference in speed of trace.

Speed of trace would have been affected by the temperature of the lye and oils, how much water you used, what additives were used (including EOs and FOs), and how much you stick-blended.

Bottom line, unless you use the exact same recipe (including all additives), and you also controlled for all of the other variables, it's really not a fair comparison between your home-rendered tallow and the store-bought tallow. In my own experience, I've used both, and I don't see any difference in speed of trace. YMMV ;)
I agree. I have seen no difference in either the tallow or lard I have rendered compared to that which I have bought.

Not trying to argue here. As a matter of fact, I still have some beef suet left in the freezer, just need to render it. I will absolutely try that same recipe and see if there is a difference.
Cool, I love to watch others experiment, mostly so I can be lazier and learn from their outcomes. 😁 Would love to hear back once you get a chance to try it.

Latest posts

Back