alright...what did i do!?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AshleyR said:
Ian, I use most of my soaps after about a 2 week cure. I know I *shouldn't*, but me and my hubby have never had any reactions, so we use it. I think I have even used it a few days before 2 weeks were up! :O

I think like some other people said that maybe it was the EO's, or even the slight scratchiness of the lavender buds?

must be cause seriously... i use my soap as soon as its hard pretty much lol... never had problems with it except my first batch... im rather impatient lol

by 2 weeks a soap (unless it's lye heavy) is as mild as it's going to get - after that you get the benefit of water loss but that's about it.

so if there is a skin sensitivity it's an issue with the ingredients, the level of superfat, a sensitivity to soap in general (typically can't handle the high pH of soap), indeed the scratchiness of herbals, or something was screwed up...

i think ill chalk this one up to skin sensitivity because she had told me her skin was extremely sensitive and she only uses soap that is for sensitive skin glycerine-oatmeal soap... so.... i might need to make one more mild than that for her...

what types / recipes could be more mild than 100% OO though?!!

none really, I would not provide soap or anything else to this person frankly. not worth the risk.

Perhaps goats milk would be good for this sensitive skin person.

I have heard of a lot of people who have benefited from goats milk soap for their skin conditions - it was even on the news!

It you are impatient you could always do HP! I am impatient and HP soothes me :) At least then you will know your lye has been fully reacted. I made some HP in olive oil the other day with discounted water, and gave it a bit of a whip after cooked and BOY was it rock solid the next day, almost as hard or harder then a bar that's dried for months! :shock: Too bad olive oil is so dang expensive......

Any way, sorry to hear about the skin reactions! :)

Ian the Castille I make for babies has absoutely no additives to except silk. It is extremely gentle. Now unless I have received bad info, my understanding is that glycerin soap actually has detergent in it which would make it harsher than Castille (if I've gotten bad info maybe someone could correct that for me).

For children over 10 I'll add some colours and/or some very diluted scents. I really prefer that children use only a straight Bastille or Castille without anything else added to it because their skin is so delicate and can be easily damaged/irritated. JMO

not all glycerine soap has detergent in it, but most does. and not all MP does either.

and detergents are not really harsher than soap = it's more that 1) we can customize soap with different oils or superfat levels amd 2) a good chunk of the population seens to be sensitive to detergents. On the flip side, for some folk detergents are more "gentle" because of the pH and because they don't leave soap scum on your skin even in hard water. It's really a matter of what works for the individual.

Back