Alkeehole!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So next thing on my agenda is to try a beer soap, and then I think a champagne soap. I've been reading a lot about recipes and have ordered some fragrance oils that I think will be suitable.

Any tips/warnings from the veterans? Given that it's summer here can I assume that I will not need to cover it to get a full gel? I don't really want to be putting it in the fridge or freezer, but neither do i want a volcano on my hands.

Oh - and has anyone ever tried a cider soap?

I remember I saved an apple cider soap recipe in my Pinterest and fished it out for ya hehe

I'm convinced great minds think alike. @hungryhawaiian just made beer soap today, and I simmered down some beer myself for later or tomorrow haha

Whatever tips you'll get here will help me as well lol... Although I read somewhere not to add more sugar because doing so might cause overheating. Hopefully someone explains or disagrees.

I haven’t made any soaps with alcohol but - I have use champagne fragrance and that stuff is strong! I’ve used from several different sources and they are all overpowering to my nose. Just in case you were going to use champagne fragrance
upload_2019-3-10_9-31-42.gif

Beer needs to be either left out for a day or so or what I do is simmer it until it’s syrupy. It does need to be flat for sure. I add the cooked down beer to my oils and mix my lye with water or something else like milk or aloe juice. You can also add you lye to the beer carefully. You can freeze it or just really cold. I’ve not experience overheating but I do gel it and watch it. One of my favorite champagne scents is Vanilla Champagne from NG.

Beer needs to be either left out for a day or so or what I do is simmer it until it’s syrupy. It does need to be flat for sure. I add the cooked down beer to my oils and mix my lye with water or something else like milk or aloe juice. You can also add you lye to the beer carefully. You can freeze it or just really cold. I’ve not experience overheating but I do gel it and watch it. One of my favorite champagne scents is Vanilla Champagne from NG.
How syrupy do you make yours? Thin or thick? I simmered mine and it's half the volume it was but not syrupy.. Should I cook it more?

How syrupy do you make yours? Thin or thick? I simmered mine and it's half the volume it was but not syrupy.. Should I cook it more?
I've used it both ways - simmered to a syrupy consistency and to about half volume. No problems with either method. I used it as part of my batch water added at light trace. I don't add any additional sugar.

I simmer mine just to make it go flat, half an hour or so. I've never simmered it down to a syrup. Then I let it cool to room temp and refrigerate it overnight, or until the next weekend, whenever I plan on soaping. I add my lye directly to the flattened beer.... slowly, a tablespoon or so at a time. Be aware, it stinks!

Once the batter is made, I leave it uncovered in a cool spot. I don't usually gel my soaps.

I simmer mine just to make it go flat, half an hour or so. I've never simmered it down to a syrup. Then I let it cool to room temp and refrigerate it overnight, or until the next weekend, whenever I plan on soaping. I add my lye directly to the flattened beer.... slowly, a tablespoon or so at a time. Be aware, it stinks!

Once the batter is made, I leave it uncovered in a cool spot. I don't usually gel my soaps.
Yours is the method I plan to use Misschief. Thought I might freeze it into ice cubes to keep it cooler?

Is apple cider the same in the US as it is in the UK/NZ? Apple cider is a light, fizzy, alcoholic beverage similar to a beer in its alcohol content.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is apple cider the same in the US as it is in the UK/NZ? Apple cider is a light, fizzy, alcoholic beverage similar to a beer in its alcohol content.

No, they are differentiated here by "cider" and "hard cider". Cider is usally flat, not fizzy. Hard cider, if i recall, is most often fizzy.

I just got your thread title! First I thought it was going to be about what happened with your alkanet, lol, and not a pleasant what happened.... hence the 'hole' part [like a-hole] ;)

I just got your thread title! First I thought it was going to be about what happened with your alkanet, lol, and not a pleasant what happened.... hence the 'hole' part [like a-hole] ;)

Oh for crying out loud--I was wondering what the heck the title meant too!!! hahahahaha

Yours is the method I plan to use Misschief. Thought I might freeze it into ice cubes to keep it cooler?
I used to freeze it but I no longer do. Personally, I don't like putting lye on frozen cubes; it's awkward to stir. I do keep it cold but not frozen. I have some beer left over from my last batch that I did freeze but, when it's time to make more, I intend to let it mostly thaw before using it.

I also simmer my beer. I do not freeze it. Ditto in using champagne and red wine in soap. I try using cheapest brands available...

No acceleration of trace apart from the beer cos I loaded that with plenty raw honey, egg yolk....lol. It was hot hot but came out nice. If you limit your additives you’ll be ok

Yes, I also did wonder about the title[emoji38]
Oh come on you lot! It was my best Marge Simpson impersonation.

I haven’t made any soaps with alcohol but - I have use champagne fragrance and that stuff is strong! I’ve used from several different sources and they are all overpowering to my nose. Just in case you were going to use champagne fragrance
View attachment 37372
I’ve ordered a strawberry and champagne fragrance.

Last edited by a moderator:
So next thing on my agenda is to try a beer soap, and then I think a champagne soap. I've been reading a lot about recipes and have ordered some fragrance oils that I think will be suitable.

Any tips/warnings from the veterans? Given that it's summer here can I assume that I will not need to cover it to get a full gel? I don't really want to be putting it in the fridge or freezer, but neither do i want a volcano on my hands.

Oh - and has anyone ever tried a cider soap?
Just made beer soap a month ago for the first time. Used a strong ale, let it sit in a bowl for two days, stirring several times a day to make it go flat, boiled it for ten minutes, put it in a gallon ziplock bag and froze it. Soaping day I took the frozen beer out of the freezer, mixed my oils, let them cool a bit then slowly added my lye to my semi-frozen beer. I did not use a fragrance for this soap. Holy cow, it smelled awful! Now, a month later, it has a very clean, slightly hoppy scent. The reaction to it has been good. I was very proud to get those done!

I know the norm for most people is to simmer down the beer and use the resulting syrup, however, I don't do that. I put about a teaspoon of salt in the beer and then chill it and use it that way. I add my lye slowly to the chilled beer and have never ever had a problem, other than my batter gets thicker quicker, but unless I'm using a fragrance that accelerates, it's never been a problem. I do lightly cover with a towel but don't wrap like normal, and have never gotten over heating.

Beer soaps are one of my favorite soaps to use and make. I really need to make them more often. I'd say that probably about every 10th batch or so I make is a beer soap. I've never used hard alcohol or wine/champagne in soap though, so no advice there.

Latest posts

Back