Alkeehole!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
953359F6-2708-4412-9C8E-97E8C6D564EE.jpeg
1B0EEF3A-C6C0-48B8-BEF6-9EBAA3459BA9.jpeg
Cider soap flavoured with Apple Harvest fragrance:

Last edited:
does the IPA scent stick? my son visited a craft brewery and bought a candle and it smelled amazing--just like an IPA--to lazy to get up and see if there is a FO in it

does the IPA scent stick?

An IPA or "light" beer doesn't really stick, but I've noticed that heavy beers such as imperial stouts or "just" stouts will hold some of the malt fragrance, but not really a beer smell. It depends on how fine tuned your sense of smell is too - my husband and I go to a lot of beer tastings each year, so I've learned to pick up the nuances of different beers so it's probably easier for us to pick up the scent notes in soap compared to the average drinker / non-drinker.

I've done both and they both work. Whichever you prefer is fine.
Mine simmered down to about half its original quantity and was not syrupy at all - so i took it off before the whole lot disappeared! I added a couple of distilled water ice cubes to make up the difference for the soap.
Point to note: when i poured the lye water in, there was a wad of 'toffee' stuck to the bottom of the lye mixture ( obviously sugar from the cider). I though oh no! It's fused itself to the plastic and i'll never get it off. But I did. Just soaked it for a bit in hot soapy water.

Sneaky peeky down the side to see the darker base. Apparently this FO can discolour to an 'almost purple'View attachment 37446- crossing fingers that the beer keeps it in line.
I used Candle Science's Cypress and Bayberry which blends perfectly with the hoppy smell of the beer. A nice manly scent.

looks like its going to be pretty

Cut!
Have a look at the close-up - there's a 2mm line all around the edge of the soap - that seems weird. What is it? I like it though - smells good, not too floral, kinda woodsy. Now to wait and see if the FO turns purple over time. I washed my hands with a little offcut and boy, it's got a lovely creamy lather already! I think I'm going to be liking this soap very much.
IMG_0840.jpeg
IMG_0841.jpeg

It looks just like slice of beer - if that were possible.
People were talking about this edging on another thread. One thought was overheating and the other was partial gel. It's cool how it's so neat around all edges - very clever of you! :thumbs:

It looks just like slice of beer - if that were possible.
People were talking about this edging on another thread. One thought was overheating and the other was partial gel. It's cool how it's so neat around all edges - very clever of you! :thumbs:
Thank you Jeboz. I was doing a little dance thinking I had for the first time in my soaping history ( lol, not long) achieved a partial gel because the vey end piece had the tell tale curve of discolouration. But then when i cut it, it was just this perfectly square line. It makes sense that's what it is though.

Cut!
Have a look at the close-up - there's a 2mm line all around the edge of the soap - that seems weird. What is it? I like it though - smells good, not too floral, kinda woodsy. Now to wait and see if the FO turns purple over time. I washed my hands with a little offcut and boy, it's got a lovely creamy lather already! I think I'm going to be liking this soap very much.
View attachment 37456 View attachment 37457

i have been dealing with that edge and I hate it--my last soap it started breaking off--it came off like a rubbery rind. the rind bubbles also--it happened on my aloe soap but I feel the same--I love the soap, it lathers a lot but it looks terrible

Those look awesome KiwiMoose! Really love the beer one... Your slices look so neat and smooth. Makes me wanna do this CP...

Not lol

I'm HPing my beer soap tonight. Hopefully all goes well..

Have a look at the close-up - there's a 2mm line all around the edge of the soap - that seems weird. What is it?
A quick guess is that it is FO discoloration. It will spread through the bar (so you won't see the ring) as time goes on. I've seen that with strong vanillan discoloration. I could be wrong though (it seems to be the trend lately), so I would like to see a report back in a few days! I don't think that's the same type of ring that Marilyn is dealing with though.

What is the advantage to beer?
I can't suss out what it brings to soap.

Latest posts

Back