Alkeehole!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have some hard cider a friend left at the house. I was going to toss it, but I think, after reading these posts, I will make soap out of it this week. I have never made beer or other alcohol soap either, so I have some research to do. I will let you know how it turns out.
KiwiMoose we want pictures.
Oh BTW I should mention Rogue - that the cider boiled down to almost nothing! I had to top mine up with water. So you will definitely need AT LEAST twice the amount to start with than you want for your soap recipe. The beer only boiled down to about 2/3 of its original quantity. So I had plenty.

What is the advantage to beer?
I can't suss out what it brings to soap.
Hops are terrific for the skin. That and people like the idea of a beer soap. Read up a bit on how beneficial hops are. I made my first batch and, while it smelled awful at first, it has mellowed out nicely and I love the scent now. I used Arrogrant BastRd Ale as my liquid.

Hops are terrific for the skin. That and people like the idea of a beer soap. Read up a bit on how beneficial hops are. I made my first batch and, while it smelled awful at first, it has mellowed out nicely and I love the scent now. I used Arrogrant BastRd Ale as my liquid.

Never heard that about hops. Do the beneficial qualities survive saponification, that you know of?

So next thing on my agenda is to try a beer soap, and then I think a champagne soap. I've been reading a lot about recipes and have ordered some fragrance oils that I think will be suitable.

Any tips/warnings from the veterans? Given that it's summer here can I assume that I will not need to cover it to get a full gel? I don't really want to be putting it in the fridge or freezer, but neither do i want a volcano on my hands.

Oh - and has anyone ever tried a cider soap?
Cold-I boil my beer for 10 minutes, place in zip lock bags and place in freezer, making my bags as flat as possible. When time comes to make soap, I break off the frozen beer, weigh it, place in my container and add the lye. I have done two batches this way and both have turned out great! I am a newbie but try to listen and follow directions. When they said you should work Cold, I worked cold for Sure! It worked the same for my Merlot soaps. Had not thought about cider but what fun might that be!

Latest posts

Back