Aleppo Soap! The real thing!!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In looking around I noticed this :

The EU has banned the use of laurel oil as a cosmetic ingredient, by its 76/768/EWG directive. Laurel oil is suspected to provoke allergic reactions in certain cases.

I'm not sure if it's the same in the US but if it is it may be why it is so hard to find.

Hello Dorymae,
Here is Europe's Cosing ingredient sheet. We send laurel berry oil to every country in the world without a problem. It is also regulated for import and export having HS code for customs. Cheers

View attachment COSING_Ingredient.pdf

Can you get bay laurel berry oil in Australia? I'm dying to make this stuff now!

Hello Diddly,
Unfortunately, there is no supplier in Australia! I know main essential oil wholesellers in Australia and no one has it.

We deliver worldwide! 1 kg, 5 kg & 20 kg packages. Cheers

I saw plenty of the essential oil but the only cold pressed I found was from the US on ebay.... It will be about $40 for 100ml which I am almost ready to pay because of this thread.

Hello again Diddly,
I do not think that is laurel berry oil. People advertise laurel leaf essential oil as berry oil. Cheers

Personally, I'm still waiting on pricing to share...maybe all these mentions will help.

Hello Diddly,

Unfortunately, there is no supplier in Australia! I know main essential oil wholesellers in Australia and no one has it.

Sorry, somehow I missed this - how much is the shipping to Australia? Maybe I should buy a bunch and set up my own ebay shop :)

Hello Diddly,

Sorry, somehow I missed this - how much is the shipping to Australia? Maybe I should buy a bunch and set up my own ebay shop :)

Please send me your e-mail address! Cheers

Hell again CanaDawn,
Neeners had some articles on this thread about this. Raw olive pomace oil gives the green and laurel berry oil gives the brown color. So greener is cheaper:) Cheers

Quite the opposite my friend.
Olive oil, as well as olive pomace oil, gives a white soap after some weeks of curing, never a green soap.

The green color comes from the laurel seed oil. The higher the percentage of the laurel seed oil in the Aleppo soap, the greener the soap will be in its core.

Quite the opposite my friend.
Olive oil, as well as olive pomace oil, gives a white soap after some weeks of curing, never a green soap.

The green color comes from the laurel seed oil. The higher the percentage of the laurel seed oil in the Aleppo soap, the greener the soap will be in its core.

Hello Sapwn,
Thanks for the input. I wrote that according to my experience in Laurel Oil and Olive Oil.

Raw olive pomace oil is used in Aleppo Soaps. Soap comes out all green inside and out at first, than surface of the soap starts to get yellow to brownish color. But inside stays green. There are some pictures on this thread.

There is a huge difference in ''raw'' olive pomace oil and refined olive pomace oil.

Refined olive pomace oil is edible but the raw is not. Soaps with refined olive pomace oil comes out all white inside and out.

Raw olive pomace oil is the cheapest olive oil derivative there is.

So if it is greener; it is cheaper...!

Laurel Berry Oil gives light brown to dark brown color to the soap depending on the percentage used in the batch.

I will be happy to answer questions and help as much as I can in your recipes.

Cheers

Um......Aleppo soap starts out green of various shades, and ages to golden on the outer surfaces. If the laurel berry made it light or dark brown, wouldn't it be brown throughout, and not just where it is in contact with the air??

What IS your experience with these oils?

I'm beginning to be confused rather than enlightened.

Um......Aleppo soap starts out green of various shades, and ages to golden on the outer surfaces. If the laurel berry made it light or dark brown, wouldn't it be brown throughout, and not just where it is in contact with the air??

What IS your experience with these oils?

I'm beginning to be confused rather than enlightened.

Hello CanaDawn,
Thanks for the input. We are actually talking about the same thing! We manufacture and sell those oils for many years. So, I call that the experience. Cheers

Some more info on the crude Pomace can be found here http://www.oliveoilsource.com/definition/crude-olive-pomace-oil including the note on it not being the same as the pomace olive oil that people would buy in a shop.

And here, in the section under "buy........" at the bottom, highlights that more Laurel oil will give a browner colour. http://www.inkanat.com/en/infohealth/aleppo-soap.html

Just two quick links from a google search. I also found others that showed the edges being browned with age while the middle stayed green.

Any kind of olive derived oil will produce a white soap after curing.

The color in Aleppo soap, the green in the middle, and the brown around is given from the laurel seed oil.
The more laurel seed oil includes the soap, the browner on the outside and the greener in the inside will be the soap.

If no laurel oil is added and the soap is 100% olive (of any kind) oil, the soap will be white after weeks of curing.

Here are some of my soaps:

6t4exssnb
6t4exssnb
DSC00786.jpg

The first one is 100% extra virgin olive oil and it is pure white.
The second one is 8% laurel oil Aleppo soap made by me and it is light brown outside as you can see and light green in the inside.
The third one is 13% laurel oil Aleppo soap made by me and it is darker brown outside as you can see and greener than the previous one in the inside.
The forth one is 40% laurel oil Aleppo soap made in Aleppo Syria and it is very dark brown outside and very green in the inside.

All four of them are more than 1 year cured.
I have also some 20%, 30% and 40% laurel oil Aleppo soaps made by me but they are cured for two months and not ready to show them.

If you insist, I could cut them to show the green core of eatch one, but please, don't make me do it :shifty:

Any kind of olive derived oil will produce a white soap after curing.

The color in Aleppo soap, the green in the middle, and the brown around is given from the laurel seed oil.
The more laurel seed oil includes the soap, the browner on the outside and the greener in the inside will be the soap.

If no laurel oil is added and the soap is 100% olive (of any kind) oil, the soap will be white after weeks of curing.

Here are some of my soaps:

6t4exssnb
6t4exssnb
DSC00786.jpg

The first one is 100% extra virgin olive oil and it is pure white.
The second one is 8% laurel oil Aleppo soap made by me and it is light brown outside as you can see and light green in the inside.
The third one is 13% laurel oil Aleppo soap made by me and it is darker brown outside as you can see and greener than the previous one in the inside.
The forth one is 40% laurel oil Aleppo soap made in Aleppo Syria and it is very dark brown outside and very green in the inside.

All four of them are more than 1 year cured.
I have also some 20%, 30% and 40% laurel oil Aleppo soaps made by me but they are cured for two months and not ready to show them.

If you insist, I could cut them to show the green core of eatch one, but please, don't make me do it :shifty:

I am not insisting because I know what color is the core. We are talking about the same thing but we do not understand eachother.

Back