Aleppo Soap! The real thing!!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
not being able to find laurel oil could be a weird thing in Syria too. I had a friend visit Lebanon last year, and she said they won't let ANY Lebanese olive oil out of the country. she wanted to bring some to share b/c it tasted so darn good, but they don't sell like that and apparently search your bag at the airport to make sure you don't have any with you.

I can't bring myself to cut mine up. I haven't even used any other than that one sliver yet. maybe when the soap in my shower runs out (but really...when does that ever happen??? lol)

you can buy aleppo soap on amazon.com , the same Dahroj brand Ellacho found.

will do, Ellacho. The sizes seem manageable, and it's on the FDA GRAS list, so I'm betting it would be fairly easy to get. I will ask about US suppliers too.

Laurel Berry Oil in North America

Canadian supplier of laurel berry oil ( 1 kg, 5 kg & 20kg) http://www.sinfullywholesome.com/
Sales rep going to get hold of me with pricing.
They also sell Aleppo soap.

Hi CanaDawn

Thank you for the mention.

We (Sinfully Wholesome) just posted our bulk Laurel Berry Oil page today.

We now offer bulk Laurel Berry Oil to our US and Canadian customers.

Visit this page to see our prices - we're offering special pricing and free shipping to the USA and Canada (on orders more than $50.00 ) during our introductory sale.

Thank you

Sinfully Wholesome

Can you get bay laurel berry oil in Australia? I'm dying to make this stuff now!

Yes, I saw several sellers from Aus when I was looking with google but didn't keep them sorry. Just punch in laurel berry oil and you should find something.

I recieved a reply for my enquiry today about laurel seed oil (from Turkey). The amount of 5kg was 100 dollars and delivery costs (to Finland) about the same = 200 dollars. A bit too much for me to try this, but if freight was smaller I could consider. We'll see.

Yes, I saw several sellers from Aus when I was looking with google but didn't keep them sorry. Just punch in laurel berry oil and you should find something.

I saw plenty of the essential oil but the only cold pressed I found was from the US on ebay.... It will be about $40 for 100ml which I am almost ready to pay because of this thread.

I saw plenty of the essential oil but the only cold pressed I found was from the US on ebay.... It will be about $40 for 100ml which I am almost ready to pay because of this thread.

Oh, sorry, maybe that was what I saw too. I was looking specifically for N America, so when I saw Australia as the location, I moved on. Probably didn't read closely enough because of it.

ETA this is one of the places I definitely saw, but it does say essential oil, on more careful reading. http://shop.newdirections.com.au/ep...h=/Shops/newdirections/Products/OE500LAURBERR

Last edited:
I LOVE new directions! They have a physical store (more like a giant warehouse). They are pretty great for most things and may order it in for me but in ginormous quantities no doubt. If anyone is in Sydney they should definitely pay them a visit. I'm not from Sydney but go there occasionally and have been there, otherwise it's online for me. Thanks anyway :)

CaraDawn, here's the article I read. if it's super green, it means less laurel oil, and cheaper ingredients.
http://hildablue.com/2013/04/26/aleppo-soap/

and again, I haven't cut into the soap.

here's another Aleppo soap history write up. http://www.historische-aleppo-seife.de/engl_story.html

Hello neeners,
Raw olive pomace oil gives the green color of aleppo soap. Soapmakers in Syria use raw pomace oil and laurel oil. As they include high percentage of raw olive pomace oil, it gets more green inside. So, greener means cheaper:)) Cheers

In doing a bit of research into the recipe for Aleppo soap, it looks like the laurel oil can be anywhere from 2-30%, the rest olive oil. Wikipedia says this about laurus nobilis:

Laurus nobilis is an aromatic evergreen tree or large shrub with green, glossy leaves, native to the Mediterranean region. It is one of the plants used for bay leaf seasoning in cooking. It is known as bay laurel, sweet bay, bay tree (esp. United Kingdom), true laurel, Grecian laurel,[1] laurel tree or simply laurel. Laurus nobilis figures prominently in classical Greek, Roman, and Biblical culture.

Since it's ONE of the plants used for bay leaf seasoning, I wonder if it would work to do an oil infusion? When I browsed around for "laurel oil" I came up with the EO which is anywhere from $8-$28 for 5-10 mils. When I did the math for a 1 lb batch of soap it would require anywhere from 9.6 to 144 mils of laurel oil (for 2-30%). It would be pretty costly to make it with only the EO so would an infusion of bay leaves from the grocery spice aisle work?

Hello KristaY,
Laurel leaves are not used when making aleppo soaps and leaf infusion will not work. Laurel berry oil is produced by boiling those olive like berries, they yield their precious oil after boilng for at least 8 hours.

Leaves yield essential and berries yield base oil. Leaf oil is really costly but berry oil is not that much. There is only one berry oil supplier in North America which is www.sinfullywholesome.com

Cheers

I think not. I think you need the oil from the seed.
http://www.laurelseedoil.com/?islem=2
http://www.atragarden.com/en-US/products/traditional-laurel-berry-oil
A few possible suppliers??

eta atragarden is a poster here and has discussed aleppo soap a few times recently.

Hello CanaDawn,
Real laurel berry oil is very hard to find because this oil is only made in certain region in Turkey. Syrian soapmakers even used to come over and buy from that region but not anymore due to the conflict they have now.

Berry oil, seed oil, fruit oil refers to the oil that comes from olive like berries. Seed oil may refer to the seeds that used for tree plantation which I beleive prohibited in some countries. There is a question about this few threads ahead and I will attach my reasearches on there. Cheers

Now I am a bit confused... is the oil you need laurel seed oil? Or laurel berry oil? And it is the bay laurel, correct? I was thinking that the oil was pressed from the "fruit" of the berry, but now I'm wondering if it is from the seed, or if I am even thinking of the right plant. Sorry if this has already been discussed in another thread. I don't think I'll be buying this any time soon, but it is interesting and might be helpful for future reference.

EDIT: Nevermind, after a bit of googling I think I understand now. Thanks!

Hello Corinne,
They all refer to the same thing. Oil from the Olive like berries. Here is a HD picture of it. Cheers

Defne Tohumu.jpg

From what I have read there are two main types of bay laurel oil. There's the essential oil and there's the carrier oil. Not sure from what part of the plant each comes but from my research I seem to be seeing that it is the carrier oil that is used to make the traditional Aleppo soap. I remember seeing some of the posts by atragarden, who works for a company that sources and sells the oil. They don't have prices listed on the site, but an online search for the carrier oil brought back some pretty hefty prices. Not as pricey as the EO, mind you, but cost-prohibitive nonetheless. I was not able to find a single U.S.-based supplier or seller of the carrier oil and others online had said that it can't be shipped to the states. Maybe there's some kind of governmental regulation. If anybody out there does find a seller that will ship to the states please let me know as I would love to try my hand at making this fabled soap.

Hello Scotman,
Thank you for the input. There is a supplier of our products in North America now and it could easily be purchased at www.sinfullywholesome.com
Laurel berry oil is regognized as safe by FDA and our company is registered to the FDA.

Laurel Berries

http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfcfr/CFRSearch.cfm?fr=182.20

Latest posts

Back