70% Rice Bran Oil soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Dawni for RBO and @IrishLass for Lard. Now two of my favorite oils. My go to soap recipe had olive oil which was so much better than regular bars of soap(detergents) that I loved it, but recently has my skin itching. Big Time Itching.
So I started on a quest for a new go to recipe with lard and found this one with RBO. After my retreat "teaching" experiment with RBO and how great that feels, I have done a couple of lard and RBO combos. I have great expectations just by how nice they were from the cleaning up process. I'll test them at 6 weeks but really want to keep my cures at about 2 months. Any longer and then I have to find nooks and crannies to store them...ones I don't forget where they are! LOL
For me olive oil is back on my cooking shelf for good. Can't wait to see how these soaps feel at the two month mark. I'm with @Kcryss that I might even try an RBO castile...just don't know if I can find a place to wait out the long cure time! LOL

Great experiment, I can't to read about the results. How well did the RBO do with the infusions? I have a lot of RBO that I was going to use but then lard came along and now I have 2 gallons of RBO that I need to use.

I think you'll like it. I've used it without lard a couple of times, but prefer to combine them and with RBO it makes a really nice soap.
Do you notice any difference when you use the tallow or lard without one or the other?

Lard only is nice, but a bit softer. The tallow helps to harden it a bit and seems to add a little more creamy lather. Could just be in my head though. :)
It seems like someone on the forum felt that tallow was a bit more drying than lard. Lately most of my soaps have been lardy in some way and the lather is very creamy. Then I did the RBO and thought it was creamy too. So now I have started using lard and RBO in various combos and the clean up process shows an abundance of creamy lather...HP soaper. Rather than tallow I've used shea or cocoa butter that I have on hand. Guess I'll need to try out tallow with it the next time I'm able to connect with some tallow to render.

It seems like someone on the forum felt that tallow was a bit more drying than lard. Lately most of my soaps have been lardy in some way and the lather is very creamy. Then I did the RBO and thought it was creamy too. So now I have started using lard and RBO in various combos and the clean up process shows an abundance of creamy lather...HP soaper. Rather than tallow I've used shea or cocoa butter that I have on hand. Guess I'll need to try out tallow with it the next time I'm able to connect with some tallow to render.

I decided I was tired of rendering fat and was going to stop doing it, then someone gave me 27 lbs of beef fat the other day ... back to rendering. :hairpulling:

If you were closer I would share. :D

A couple times a year we go to a restaurant supply store and buy one of their steak packages. We trim the steaks pretty close and I render it. It's a pain but I feel worse if I toss the tallow without rendering it. I'm not sure I could deal with 27 pounds of it! Or even want to! LOL We used to live in Colorado in the 60's and 70's before we went to Alaska...Loveland and Estes Park areas. Sure is different today.

We used to live in Colorado in the 60's and 70's before we went to Alaska...Loveland and Estes Park areas. Sure is different today.

You would hate it now. It's very sad. Grew up here, one of the few remaining natives. Soooo many people coming in, destroying the mountains, building way too many homes, kicking wildlife out of their habitat and then complaining when bears come around ... :(

We have family in Loveland still and when we visit we see the changes. Which is one of the reasons we did not settle there when we retired from life in Alaska. But we see some of it here in Idaho, too. Way too many people!

We have family in Loveland still and when we visit we see the changes. Which is one of the reasons we did not settle there when we retired from life in Alaska. But we see some of it here in Idaho, too. Way too many people!

I wish all these people moving in could see the destruction they have caused.
I believe you see the fire hazards and damage from all the people moving in as well, like we are seeing here and California witnesses as well.

I wish the local council members would think about the destruction before allowing hundreds of new homes to be built in areas that really can't support them. I live in farming/ranching country rather than the forests, but we definitely have the fires here every summer. It gets worse every year, along with the traffic.

I wish the local council members would think about the destruction before allowing hundreds of new homes to be built in areas that really can't support them. I live in farming/ranching country rather than the forests, but we definitely have the fires here every summer. It gets worse every year, along with the traffic.

I agree 100%. I think they are only looking at increased economical impact and see nothing but dollar signs. On the flip side, the fires, increased traffic, water, sewer, energy and dozens of other impacts are largely ignored, which carry monetary, environmental, and loss of life costs.

I agree 100%. I think they are only looking at increased economical impact and see nothing but dollar signs. On the flip side, the fires, increased traffic, water, sewer, energy and dozens of other impacts are largely ignored, which carry monetary, environmental, and loss of life costs.
I wish all these people moving in could see the destruction they have caused.
I believe you see the fire hazards and damage from all the people moving in as well, like we are seeing here and California witnesses as well.
While this is a discussion for another forum where are the people supposed to go. Many areas have housing shortages. Fires are a natural occurrence and not always the fault of people. Fires in California are common, we are an arid state and prone to periods of drought and with high winds (Santa Ana's) contributing to wildfires. It is an unfortunate part of life. Also, towns die when they do not grow and stay stagnant. Same as people if we do not progress we go stagnant. Towns simply need people, businesses, housing, etc to survive.

Back to the OT. I am going to make a small batch of 100% dual lye RBO with sorbitol, tetrasodium edta, sodium gluconate and vinegar aging it 6-12 months as soon as I get ambitious.

I use both Tallow and Lard in my non-vegan soaps with tallow the higher percentage as I have dos issues with lard. Tallow does add a cleansing value so if you watch your cleansing values you may need to lower your CO or PKO, although tallow does not contribute much to lather it is hard as a rock as single oil soap, with little bubbles. I love around 45/25 tallow/lard. Using RBO at 20-30% as liquid oil would be very nice.

For me olive oil is back on my cooking shelf for good. Can't wait to see how these soaps feel at the two month mark. I'm with @Kcryss that I might even try an RBO castile...just don't know if I can find a place to wait out the long cure time! LOL
By RBO “Castile” I figure you mean 100% RBO.
“Castile” traditionally means 100% OO soap not long cure soap.

The longer you leave a soap, generally, the better it becomes. But OO seems to be unique in really needing a long cure to gaining hardness and mildness and other unique properties.

Use 100% RBO and cure for a year by all means but don’t confuse it with “Castile”. There are lots of us who love OO and the qualities it brings to soap.

By RBO “Castile” I figure you mean 100% RBO.
“Castile” traditionally means 100% OO soap not long cure soap.

The longer you leave a soap, generally, the better it becomes. But OO seems to be unique in really needing a long cure to gaining hardness and mildness and other unique properties.

Use 100% RBO and cure for a year by all means but don’t confuse it with “Castile”. There are lots of us who love OO and the qualities it brings to soap.
Sorry, I should have added a smile imogi with the RBO castile like @Kcryss did. LOL

Sorry, I should have added a smile imogi with the RBO castile like @Kcryss did. LOL
:)That’s ok. It’s just that on this forum so many people misuse “Castile” and then confusion sets in...
Also Castile is a hobby horse of mine - you might have noticed - and I get a bit defensive...:rolleyes:
I think there really is a difference between the OO we get and the OO you get in the US.

Last edited:
I think there really is a difference between the OO we get and the OO you get in the US.
That could be for sure. I was using OO at 40-50% with other oils for my go to recipes. After an experiment with lard and now RBO I will never use OO again. It isn't worth the itchy skin for me.

I just re-read an article on single oil soaps http://www.zensoaps.com/singleoil.htm which then sent me to all of the other single oil soap tests that have been done and mentioned on this forum. The results are similar in some and way different in others. And it is interesting to see how others on the forum say their single oil or mostly single oil does not react the same as the testers. I'm sure some of it would be water and storage related, but it also has to be skin related too.

This thread has given me hope that I can find my ZEN soap and so far it will be something with RBO or lard from the early results that I have done. I have a section in my soaping notebook that is labeled "Try This"...it is growing by leaps and bounds between this thread and now the single oil threads. Thanks to all who have chimed in with their recipes and results. I'll do the same when my soaps are at least 2 months old. But it will be with my skin and my water and my storage methods, so it may not work for anyone else.

Latest posts

Back