70% Rice Bran Oil soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
People who don't want to wait for their soap to cure, can still use/make HP liquid soap, or M&P. If there were a short-cut around curing, we would all use it, wouldn't we?

Besides this, I don't feel like this discussion is well placed in a thread that actually started with specifically praising RBO, and how well it stands the test of time. There are so many more oils out there, that can be deprived of a proper cure, that it's the best to start a new thread, FWIW.

But neither is IDEAL TO USE until they have cured for several weeks.

Please stop spreading this misinformation. HP soap may be safe to use after cooking, but it is not at its best. Of course, if you aren't selling, you can do whatever you want with your soap. But if you are selling your HP soap right after making it, you are giving all handcrafted soap a bad name because when you don't let it cure, it will melt away quickly and more easily become mushy.

This blog post documents their experiment with cure times and the photos show!!

https://nurturesoap.com/blogs/nurtu...t-answers-the-question-when-can-i-use-my-soap

Yes, and the experiment confirms exactly what I was saying... which is the opposite of what you were saying. If you want to post further about this, you really should start your own thread. This thread is supposed to be about RBO.
Hmm? I'm not the @HoliHealerz and never claimed that soap does not require curing. I just thought that this post really illustrated the difference in cure and hence the link.

@squarepancakes I'm so sorry - was on my phone and absolutely blew that one. Will fix it now.

Actuallly, CP is not completely saponified after 2 days and must go through the process (This is not according to me - but rather every other video and text that I have read. No where else have I read or seen that anyone said that it is safe to use)
Again, that is false information. And again, this is a thread about RBO. Best to start your own thread on the issue, but don't expect you will find much if any agreement about your theories in this group.

Hmm? I'm not the @HoliHealerz and never claimed that soap does not require curing. I just thought that this post really illustrated the difference in cure and hence the link.
Thank you for pointing out 'difference' in cure.

People who don't want to wait for their soap to cure, can still use/make HP liquid soap, or M&P. If there were a short-cut around curing, we would all use it, wouldn't we?

Besides this, I don't feel like this discussion is well placed in a thread that actually started with specifically praising RBO, and how well it stands the test of time. There are so many more oils out there, that can be deprived of a proper cure, that it's the best to start a new thread, FWIW.
My original statement was that I often make HP because I couldn't be bothered to wait. So thank you for this statement. Yes exactly right. In CP I won't touch the soap until 4-5 weeks. HP is my go to when I personally (not commercially) want to use the soap. My customers are also people who are friends and friends of freidns and I clarify everything for them. But you pointed out here exactly what I was saying. Thank you.

My original statement was that I often make HP because I couldn't be bothered to wait. So thank you for this statement. Yes exactly right. In CP I won't touch the soap until 4-5 weeks. HP is my go to when I personally (not commercially) want to use the soap. My customers are also people who are friends and friends of freidns and I clarify everything for them. But you pointed out here exactly what I was saying. Thank you.
You do know that a gelled CP soap is just as usable as a finished HP soap right?

I have also gone
You do know that a gelled CP soap is just as usable as a finished HP soap right?
I'm not sure that I do understand it that way because the CP so call experts say that the CP after gel can dry your skin out whereas they say that the HP is safe and fine to use except for that it can benefit from the evaporation of water whereas they say that the saponification of CP is not completely over. In addition, I was under the impression that while many soap makers do not actually hit gel phase in their 24-48 or however long liquid oils take to unmold, then I concluded that it is not completely completed unless perhaps the gel phase as is reached in HP has been 'witnessed'. That is where I am in my understanding. I wonder why nothing is mentioned about drying skin with HP before 4 week cure.

So thank you for this statement. Yes exactly right.
Why then aren't you making M&P or liquid soap, but insist on bad timing for HP bar soap? Can't you estimate three or four weeks in advance when you'll be about to run out of soap?

I'm only slightly impressed by your talent to misunderstand the key points of others.

I have also gone

I'm not sure that I do understand it that way because the CP so call experts say that the CP after gel can dry your skin out whereas they say that the HP is safe and fine to use except for that it can benefit from the evaporation of water whereas they say that the saponification of CP is not completely over. In addition, I was under the impression that while many soap makers do not actually hit gel phase in their 24-48 or however long liquid oils take to unmold, then I concluded that it is not completely completed unless perhaps the gel phase as is reached in HP has been 'witnessed'. That is where I am in my understanding. I wonder why nothing is mentioned about drying skin with HP before 4 week cure.
Then I will point it out this way- those CP soap experts you are mentioning are talking out their bootyholes. Everything you mentioned about gelled CP soap is fact for HP soaps as well. Only differences between a gelled CP soap and a HP soap is that the saponification with HP soaps happens with an hour or two. CP soap, especially if an oven is used at 170 F, generally takes a few hours. If you still don't wanna do that than at least test the theory your self. Take two soaps from your HP batch, weigh them and then let one of them cure for at least 4 weeks while you use the other one(s). You will most definitely have your answer by then.

I also have to agree with @ResolvedOwl- You would do well to use M&P soaps if you can't be bothered with curing your soap. You'd be less likely to develop dermatitis with M&P as opposed to using raw HP soap.

Why then aren't you making M&P or liquid soap, but insist on bad timing for HP bar soap? Can't you estimate three or four weeks in advance when you'll be about to run out of soap?

I'm only slightly impressed by your talent to misunderstand the key points of others.
Then I will point it out this way- those CP soap experts you are mentioning are talking out their bootyholes. Everything you mentioned about gelled CP soap is fact for HP soaps as well. Only differences between a gelled CP soap and a HP soap is that the saponification with HP soaps happens with an hour or two. CP soap, especially if an oven is used at 170 F, generally takes a few hours. If you still don't wanna do that than at least test the theory your self. Take two soaps from your HP batch, weigh them and then let one of them cure for at least 4 weeks while you use the other one(s). You will most definitely have your answer by then.

I also have to agree with @ResolvedOwl- You would do well to use M&P soaps if you can't be bothered with curing your soap. You'd be less likely to develop dermatitis with M&P as opposed to using raw HP soap.
Ill get back to this later but M&P - Unless Im making the M&P base, I do not personally consider it creating soap, rather adjusting and existing set of oils. So no thanks, not for creation.
When I said cannot be bothered, I was referring to understanding a new formula through use. Thats all. It is not that I run out of soap or I need to sell or dont have or any other assumptions that may be drawn. I was referring to obtaining a particular understanding. Soaping to me is not a business but a university of experience.

Unless Im making the M&P base
Then make it yourself. I made M&P base yesterday, took some five hours (with many other distractions in between) from the oils to solid, usable M&P bars. If you are focused, you can easily do it in under three hours.

Bad news: it still greatly profits (lather, transparency, hardness) from a week of just sitting around, and then re-melting.

Then make it yourself. I made M&P base yesterday, took some five hours (with many other distractions in between) from the oils to solid, usable M&P bars. If you are focused, you can easily do it in under three hours.

Bad news: it still greatly profits (lather, transparency, hardness) from a week of just sitting around, and then re-melting.
I have been researching for the best method but also over here glycerine is quite expensive from what I have found so far. I'm waiting and searching. As I said, its not the waiting for sales or use per se that I was impatient for, rather to understand the conclusion. So I cooked the soap. Yes I know that CP can also be tested but from my comclusions so far, HP is still less drying and closer to correct conclusion after two days than the CP. No one wants to be misunderstood and jumping to conclusions of my INTENTION behind not 'being bothered' to wait, does not help to reach correct analytical conclusion, everything else after that becomes off mark. Just a tip for future.

I appreciate all the information that you all provide and use them in my knowledge bank. I would like to try M&P.soon and everything else happened fast so this will too. In the beginning I couldnt find sodium hydroxide so whioe searching (translation and language issues) I just found a natural and began my rebatching. And yes EVEN THAT must be waited for even though it is not due to the lye. But that took off after my very first batch and although I was not planning to sell, i just wanted experience and my own natural soaps. The orders literally rolled in. Then I went to CP and immediately to HP. And LS. My hair product (40+ ingredients) I had been making and presenting on my segment on a TV show along with matural masks around 3 and a half years ago. But soap came later.
So Ill get to M&P.
Thank you all for your help and keeping me ony feet, challenging me etc. Its healthy for the soul.
Well done on making your own. Well respected.

rebatching. And yes EVEN THAT must be waited for even though it is not due to the lye.
It's statements like this that make me wonder if you know what you are talking about, or, as a matter of fact, what we are talking about all the time. Curing never has been about lye. Not in rebatching, but neither in CP nor HP. If you had listened with good intentions, and allowed your allegedly curious and scientific mind to absorb the statements you were told from the very beginning of this discussion, things would have been much easier.

It's statements like this that make me wonder if you know what you are talking about, or, as a matter of fact, what we are talking about all the time. Curing never has been about lye. Not in rebatching, but neither in CP nor HP. If you had listened with good intentions, and allowed your allegedly curious and scientific mind to absorb the statements you were told from the very beginning of this discussion, things would have been much easier.
I try to cut things short and ASSUME that I do not need to go into details. But if you had understood properly you would have understood equally as well what I meant in short hand. I will explain. The rebatchnwent through curing already and does not need curing but only drying. Are you intentionally trying to misunderstand, twist or pick at words. I hope not. The only thing I do not have here is years of experience but i DO KNOW that good teachers are also humble rather than offensive and overly scrutinizing. Peace out.

To me, this statement sounds sarcastic and full of wrong allegations. If you think this is an appropriate tone at this place, please elaborate.

I cannot help how you receive facts.
Was it not YOU who Questioned MY intentions?
"If you had listened with good intentions, and allowed your allegedly curious and scientific mind to absorb the statements you were told from the very beginning of this discussion, things would have been much easier. "

Was it not YOU who Questioned MY intentions?
"If you had listened with good intentions, and allowed your allegedly curious and scientific mind to absorb the statements you were told from the very beginning of this discussion, things would have been much easier. "
If this is not sarcasm - then my response definitely wasn't.
But I really am not here for dispute neither do I need to defend anything that I DO or do not understand much less my intentions. And it is not your place to judge them either. So peace out.

I find it interesting how others begin to question why another is making or is not making something based on reasons that they put forth in their own mind. If I want to make M&P - I will and if I do not - then I won't. I certainly do not need to give reasons to those who THINK they know what I should be doing.

Latest posts

Back