70% Rice Bran Oil soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@winusuren that's too bad about the olive oil I wonder if they sold you old stock? I'm aware of Limeart, my SO has visited them and made some inquiries for me (he's from Coimbatore). I'd complain if it was me haha.

Do you have pics of that soap by any chance? You could post them and maybe we all can help figuring out what went wrong. I only throw soap when there really isn't anything else I can do for/with it lol

Yes, you can make this in cold process :)

@winusuren that's too bad about the olive oil I wonder if they sold you old stock? I'm aware of Limeart, my SO has visited them and made some inquiries for me (he's from Coimbatore). I'd complain if it was me haha.

Do you have pics of that soap by any chance? You could post them and maybe we all can help figuring out what went wrong. I only throw soap when there really isn't anything else I can do for/with it lol

Yes, you can make this in cold process :)
Yah I spoke to them but they said we test all our products before packing etc and etc. I didn't want to argue with them so just left it. I've already purchased olive oil and butters before and had no issues. As the oil was unrefined, I think it would have got spoilt. I'm out of station now. After going home, I'll surely post the pics...Thank you for your reply...

Actually I wanted to use unrefined oils for all my soaps as they don't go through any chemical process while extraction but DOS is a major issue...:(

Actually I wanted to use unrefined oils for all my soaps as they don't go through any chemical process while extraction but DOS is a major issue...:(
I am unaware of any unrefined RBO labeled as such, if it exists at all, just cold processed. I guess you just have to do a ton of research and see what extraction process has been used if its the chemicals you're worried about, but cold processed is what a lot of soapers use I think, also for other products.

Edit: Makes me wonder then if it isn't the oil that's the problem. Did you use up all of that one container?

I am unaware of any unrefined RBO labeled as such, if it exists at all, just cold processed. I guess you just have to do a ton of research and see what extraction process has been used if its the chemicals you're worried about, but cold processed is what a lot of soapers use I think, also for other products.
I've searched for unrefined RBO already but as you said, I couldn't find it. I'll try your recipe with a normal RBO available in stores..

I really don't know how many people soap with cold pressed oils without any issues like rancidity or DOS. I'll search the forum..

Lol it should I think. Tell em to store it in the most well ventilated part of the house haha. I still have a few bars from the original post - no DOS still and I'm very happy about that.

I dropped the RBO quite a bit, so I also dropped the coconut, to account for additional butters. I like my longevity at 30 and this it what I got.
View attachment 49777View attachment 49778
Cleansing still low, conditioning somewhere in the middle, hardness and longevity good for me. I soaped this batch at 2.5:1 and I could have gone lower since I didn't need to swirl. Didn't need yogurt either and I'm sure you can manage colors and swirls for this recipe without it. Additives aside from salt n sugar are my usual rice powder and coconut milk powder, and nothing else.

Hope you're not struggling too much with your back. Soap can wait :)
Beautiful, Dawni! I still have a few bars of my 80% RBO soap, and no DOS. RBO soap is also my favorite bar these days. I may have to try your new shared recipe. I really appreciate how generous you are with your recipes! How much rice powder and coconut milk powder do you usually add to a batch? And how much do your batches weigh?

I've searched for unrefined RBO already but as you said, I couldn't find it. I'll try your recipe with a normal RBO available in stores..

I really don't know how many people soap with cold pressed oils without any issues like rancidity or DOS. I'll search the forum..
You can get organic cold pressed RBO from Amazon by the gallon, but I don't know if you have access in India.
I don't usually use cold pressed oil for soap. It's a wash off product, so I don't think it matters much IMHO. I save those cold pressed oils for eating.

I really appreciate how generous you are with your recipes! How much rice powder and coconut milk powder do you usually add to a batch? And how much do your batches weigh?
Share the love I always say! You're welcome hehe.. I use about 1.5 teaspoon per 500g. My batches nowadays are usually at about 2kgs more or less, my molds make 20 bars.

I think the only oil I have that's labeled cold processed is Castor Oil and here I've not seen any other. Everything else that's available in my price range isn't CP so I've not used, but logically I do agree that these more costly oils should probably not be spent on a wash off product that the lye will eat up anyway.

@Dawni thanks for sharing! I'm from Singapore, so we're pretty much as hot and humid here (perhaps even worst). Am going to try your recipe this weekend but would like to know what is the purpose of adding coconut milk powder and rice powder to the soap? Will it be okay for me to do without? Also, do you think it would it be possible to CP this soap?

I tweaked the original recipe to add a bit of hardness and longevity to the soap. I wish I remembered to take pics, but it was lovely at just 2 months. I can share if anyone is interested?

I seriously love the texture of this soap in the pot. I made it again, coz I now decided to add it to my shop. Not usual words for HP but it was shiny, and smooth & "silky" which sadly, the video I posted in the other thread didn't really show.

Here's my favourite bar.. Would you look at that beauty lol
View attachment 49753
And bonus wet soap tops
View attachment 49754
Thats beautiful. My HP do not turn out as smooth looking. Sorry this is the only one I could find on the attach method of posting pics. Any ideas how to get a smoother HP? I do my CP just to achieve smoothness. Cannot be bothered to wait the time to use.

Attachments

• IMG_20220203_185522_589.jpg
    IMG_20220203_185522_589.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 22
Technically, it is ready for use because the saponification is done, ph has been reached and according to all the videos I've watched. Yes it becomes better but it is safe.
However, I wouod like to kearn of your perspective, perhaps you know somethig that I haven't read or seen. What is the reason for curing, other than getting harder?

You will still have to cure HP as long as cp, so it doesn't save you any time.
In addition, the reason to cook soap is to make it go through the process and heat the soap to gel. No cure NEEDED, but it benefits. Time saved.

Thanks for sharing, and yes I'm interested to see how they go for hardness, lather and longevity! Rice bran oil is a cheap oil here, and being it's part of @KiwiMoose's famous soap that I love would be interested to see how it goes pushed to the limits... I'm infusing my calendula using RBO as well (and thinking about it, I have dried chamomile too...)

I really like your butterfly moulds! (Does not need any more moulds...)
@KiwiMoose famous soap with RBO? Where do I find this recipe, please? I was so thrilled with @Zany_in_CO ’s NSCS I’ve decided to quit digging through my books and start using recipes from the real experts.

@KiwiMoose famous soap with RBO? Where do I find this recipe, please? I was so thrilled with @Zany_in_CO ’s NSCS I’ve decided to quit digging through my books and start using recipes from the real experts.
You are lucky. Where I live, RBO is too expensive but we get inexpensive camel so I cannot complain. However, I would also use RBO otherwise.

LOL - KiwiSoap was my number one fan. He's so lovely to big me up like that. I just use it in my standard recipe @20%, but lately I've been increasing it to 30% due to the cost of OO escalating ( and actually having no supply during the pandemic). My liquid oils are OO, RBO, Avocado and Castor (the latter being 5% each).

...Thank you for the link. Yes she also says "will be at its best" and that it is ready to use (99%) but that still beats 4 weeks of unsafe. To me.

Whoa. I'm the author of the article you appear to be talking about. I have a real problem with the conclusions you've supposedly drawn from my article. In particular your comment about "4 weeks of unsafe." For the record, here is what I wrote --

"....At this point, I want to debunk the myth that hot process soap is 100% ready to sell right after it is made while CP soap takes weeks to get to that point. It is true the HP "cook" causes the soap to fully saponify within a few hours. And it is true that CP soap takes longer; a typical CP soap might need 1-2 days to finish saponifying. When either soap reaches that stage, they are both technically safe to use on the skin.... But neither of these soaps will be at their best if used so young -- they will not lather as much, be as physically hard, or last as long as they will after a full cure...."

Whoa. I'm the author of the article you appear to be talking about. I have a real problem with the conclusions you've supposedly drawn from my article. In particular your comment about "4 weeks of unsafe." For the record, here is what I wrote --

"....At this point, I want to debunk the myth that hot process soap is 100% ready to sell right after it is made while CP soap takes weeks to get to that point. It is true the HP "cook" causes the soap to fully saponify within a few hours. And it is true that CP soap takes longer; a typical CP soap might need 1-2 days to finish saponifying. When either soap reaches that stage, they are both technically safe to use on the skin.... But neither of these soaps will be at their best if used so young -- they will not lather as much, be as physically hard, or last as long as they will after a full cure...."
I agree, @DeeAnna your views were completely misrepresented (misunderstood?) by @HoliHealerz.

You were quite clear that both HP and CP soaps are SAFE TO USE within 2 days max.

But neither is IDEAL TO USE until they have cured for several weeks. It is my experience that HP is especially in need of the extra cure time due to the higher water content.

BIG difference. Words matter.

In addition, the reason to cook soap is to make it go through the process and heat the soap to gel. No cure NEEDED, but it benefits. Time saved.
Please stop spreading this misinformation. HP soap may be safe to use after cooking, but it is not at its best. Of course, if you aren't selling, you can do whatever you want with your soap. But if you are selling your HP soap right after making it, you are giving all handcrafted soap a bad name because when you don't let it cure, it will melt away quickly and more easily become mushy.

This problem has turned more people off to handcrafted soap than any other mistake I've seen out there. I can't tell you how many friends and family I've had to beg to try my soap, because they previously paid $$$ for handcrafted soap that didn't last and become super mushy - all because the maker was convinced that "no cure was needed."

Last edited:

they are both technically safe to use on the skin.... But neither of these soaps will be at their best if used so young -- they will not lather as much, be as physically hard, or last as long as they will after a full cure...."
Just going by your words.
There was no conclusions drawn, just quotes. There was no talk about selling - rather about using. All I said is that I could not be bothered to wait to use. I never mentioned selling anyway. I have watched several videos and researched and made several batches of hot process and yes they get harder. Nothing that I didn't say before or that you didn't.

I agree, @DeeAnna your views were completely misrepresented (misunderstood?) by @HoliHealerz.

You were quite clear that both HP and CP soaps are SAFE TO USE within 2 days max.

But neither is IDEAL TO USE until they have cured for several weeks. It is my experience that HP is especially in need of the extra cure time due to the higher water content.

Please stop spreading this misinformation. HP soap may be safe to use after cooking, but it is not at its best. Of course, if you aren't selling, you can do whatever you want with your soap. But if you are selling your HP soap right after making it, you are giving all handcrafted soap a bad name because when you don't let it cure, it will melt away quickly and more easily become mushy.

This problem has turned more people off to handcrafted soap than any other mistake I've seen out there. I can't tell you how many friends and family I've had to beg to try my soap, because they previously paid $$$ for handcrafted soap that didn't last and become super mushy - all because the maker was convinced that "no cure was needed."
Actuallly, CP is not completely saponified after 2 days and must go through the process (This is not according to me - but rather every other video and text that I have read. No where else have I read or seen that anyone said that it is safe to use) but I never discussed CP except to say that I didn't want to wait . - that's it.. I did not misrepresent anything. I have sold many soap including resales and although I did not even TALK about selling - only using - I use mostly tallow too so my customers have actually commented on how long my soap lasts. Besides this, I was criticize for saying that I STILL HAVE TO WAIT. and this is not true - by experience as well as research. If you are saying that its safe to use - you are the first one I have come across and Im not even arguing about it - but misrepresent - I didn't.

Clearly I DIDNT say I was selling. I agree words matter - and I was misunderstood from the get go - never mentioned CP nor selling. I just said I dont want to wait - wait for what? IT was ASSUMED what I meant and thats not my problem. I use tallow and its rock hard after 18 hours anyway. But whatever.

Back