Rice Bran Oil Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would you be so kind to share which restaurant supply store? I've searched locally and not been able to find it at any of those near me. Thank you!

US Foods® CHEF’STORE® Warehouse Store - Nampa, ID
This one is right near me, but in Googling it (I had forgotten the name) I found 3 other supply places that popped up in both Nampa and Caldwell. I have no idea if RBO is found in any of them.

US Foods® CHEF’STORE® Warehouse Store - Nampa, ID
This one is right near me, but in Googling it (I had forgotten the name) I found 3 other supply places that popped up in both Nampa and Caldwell. I have no idea if RBO is found in any of them.
Thank you! I remember now that you had shared that before. I'll have to try the Nampa one the next time I'm out that way. The other ones in the area (which are closer to me) have never had RBO in stock when I've checked.

PS: I just checked the Boise store, and they show it as being in stock. THANK YOU!!!

Last edited:
Hah, you are correct, although I think you meant to say that it is 35 pounds (not eight pounds). 😆

I had misread it as 35 gallons. Definitely a more reasonable option now - thank you!! :)
I wondered if I had made that mistake, but then I was too wrapped up at work to double check it. It figures that the errors would cascade wouldn't it?

Yep, not far off from what the lady in the video Isg shared does!
My major difference is I use short grain rice and leave the rice in the water while its fermenting. I don't have a specific ratio, I'll pour the distilled water amount needed for a soap and add in no more than 1-2 tbsp of rinsed rice grains. I leave it on my counter for 2 days and strain it right into my go-to lye solution container. And yes, it does get stinky 😆 I accidentally spilled some on my counter once and whew...

I don't know if fermented rice water vs normal rice water has a difference in the final soap beyond just label appeal, but there's something about the mindfulness of waiting a few days to make a soap that feels good. Plus, the strained stinky rice goes in my compost bin, which I'm sure is a nice treat for my bugs.
How much rice bran powder would you use per pound of oils?

@QuasiQuadrant is the only one I can think of here that MIGHT be making batches that large.

Actually, I don't know how many gallons of oil I'm using at once....I never measured it out that way & hadn't even thought of it that way....4 1/2 gallos sounds like a LOT of oil, however....I'm now curious as to how much oil I'm using per batch when it comes to gallon measurements...

The largest batches I've been making up to this point is 16 pounds, so I don't think it'd be 4 1/2 gallons of oil....but could be wrong LOL :smallshrug:

Latest posts

Back