What the heck happened?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapMom

Reaction score
I have ask for some assistance here because I am baffled! Could someone please tell me why this happened? It seems like the soap turned out grainy looking with an all white outline.

surf girl said:
I am guessing that the outside edges were somehow cool enough not to gel?

I agree. I get that once in a while. I am also guessing that the graininess "might" be stearic spots if you used an oil with stearic acid.

So is it usable? I know its not pretty enough to sell but can you still use it?

Sure you can use it. You could also trim off the edges if you want it to look uniform (don't need to discard the trimmings, either - I'm sure you could find a use for them - check out Deda's soap with trimmings...)

OK...remember the soap in the picture that looks grainy? Well today I used the same recipe and once i put in the FO the batter started to look grainy like it had sand in it and I blended and blended and couldn't get the grains to smooth out. I gave up and in the mold, then it tried to sieze on me half way through getting it in the mold. Has anyone had similar experiences? I just know that this batch is going to look like the other batch I posted a pic of. :oops:

SoapMom said:
OK...remember the soap in the picture that looks grainy? Well today I used the same recipe and once i put in the FO the batter started to look grainy like it had sand in it and I blended and blended and couldn't get the grains to smooth out. I gave up and in the mold, then it tried to sieze on me half way through getting it in the mold. Has anyone had similar experiences? I just know that this batch is going to look like the other batch I posted a pic of. :oops:

That's what is called Ricing. It's caused almost always by the fo and sometimes you can stick blend it until it's smooth again.
Or you can continue on by HPing it the rest of the way -especially if it starts to seize. Florals are pretty famous for this type of behavior. Someone else might come along and be able to better help you with this.

Do you think it did that because the batter was too thick when I added the FO? Hmmm....

Naw, some FOs just do that. But if you put it in the oils to start with (even before the lye) then you will have more time to try to SB it smooth again maybe. Ricing is a troublesome thing.

OK, nothing to do with your questions, but what the heck are those pandas doing in that last post? They are pandas, aren't they? Is that hot panda love, or am I just totally twisted?

:lol: surf girl!!! I looked at it before and thought "oh how cute....baby panda is giving mommy panda a back rub and peeking into her eyes".....NOW I am thinking something x-rated :p

Tanya :wink:

SoapMom said:

What you experienced is riceing caused by your FO. I use an FO that rices & I think I've narrowed it down to how much water is in my recipe. When I first used this FO, I could stick blend out of the riceing, but back then, I wasn't doing a water discount. Now that I do a water discount, the riceing is unmanageable & ruins my soap. I haven't tried my theory, but unless the FO formula has changed, I think not discounting water will help.

OK...you guys are all twisted! *lol* Topcat is right! It's a baby on moms back! See....my son loves pandas and penguins! So get your minds outta the gutter! *lol*

SoapMom is dreading cutting her soap this afternoon!! I don't wanna!! I know its ruined! I think I'll take a nap instead!

I had a batch of orange spice that I made in a PVC Pipe mold and it did just that. Gelled on the inside, but not the outside. I loved the outcome! The inside circle was darker orange, and the outside circle was lighter orange, it looked like a real slice of orange, and it looked like I did it on purpose!!

Latest posts

Back