My lesson to slow down!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So glad you were not hurt. I'm glad you shared your story. That's how Forum peeps here learn from each other and support each other. There is a well-known soap supplier and soap maker with tons of YouTubes who uses pyrex for mixing soap batter.

That soap is AMAZING! I hate it when my recipients display my soap versus use my soap. But if I got that bar, I'd hang it on the wall and display it as long as possible.

I'll share my embarrassing story -- you're not alone. When I was a noob, I took all the safety precautions seriously. Except that I used a glass candy thermometer! I'd stick it in my batter and wait for it to cool down. One day it shattered in my hand.
*slaps forehead

I was fortunate to have been guided away from Pyrex early on, before I made my first batch. At first, I mixed my lye in an old stainless sauce pan I got at the charity store (Goodwill around here), but I realized that it wasn't as stable as I'd like it to be, in terms of being easy to carry without spilling, I mean, and I've switched to using old, heavy-duty plastic pitchers for larger batches and plastic measuring cups for smaller batches. Back in April I ordered a dozen-pack of these pitcher/measuring cups and they've been so useful. I put each oil in a separate pitcher so I can double-check that I have everything in order before I start mixing (I'm lucky to have a big workbench), and one of them serves as my lye mixer for sub-kilogram-sized batches.

1701261223282.png

@DeeAnna has an excellent article on plastic containers for lye storage, but this also would apply to proper materials for containers for mixing soap batter. The main takeaway is that the best containers are thick-walled AND made of polypropylene (pp) or high density polyethylene (hdpe); these also have recycle codes 5 and 2, respectively.

https://classicbells.com/soap/lyeStorage.asp

Latest posts

Back