You first CP attempt

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loubou75

Reaction score
Hi! :D

When you all made your first ever CP soap did you use colour and fragrance or did you make it plain in case it didn't work out? I don't know whether to go all out or save my ingredients in case I make a pig's ear out of it! :crazy:

Also can you recommend a recipe for first time use please? :wink:

My first one was plain.
It was:
40% Olive Oil
30% Coconut Oil
15% Soybean Oil
10% Shea Butter
5% Castor Oil

Thank you for your reply Genny! I have all of those ingredients apart from the Soybean Oil. can i use a different oil in it's place? I have Olive Oil, Sweet Almond Oil, Avocado Oil and Rice Bran Oil. :-D

Hi LizFlowers

We don't have Crisco here in the uk. I guess it's just vegetable fat after googling it. How did the soap turn out? :-D

Just my opinion, but its a decent and cheap basic bar! I am giving it one more week to cure before using the cp version-I rebatched some of it with coffee and grounds and made a yummy scrubby soap. Creamy bubbles! Also rebatched some with just lavender oil and lavender buds...leave the buds out! Makes brown chunks in the soap!

Cool. I didn't realise you'd only just made it. Were you scared when you were making it? I am a bit fearful of the lye. :oops:

my first batch? i used essential oils.... and the batch was lye heavy... so it was all waisted

Don't be afraid Lou. Fear is where getting hurt comes in. Just take proper precautions and go slow. Remember YOU control the pour, it doesn't control you!

Cool. I didn't realise you'd only just made it. Were you scared when you were making it? I am a bit fearful of the lye. :oops:

Oh yes of course I was nervous! You need to be careful with lye! But when you take percautions such as wearing rubber gloves and goggles you are fine! I mix my lye outside to avoid the fumes and this time of year its very cold so that helps with cooling your lye. I also superfatted my recipe 5% to ensure the lye is all soaponified.

Have you ever made melt and pour soap before? That is a good way to get comfortable with add ins like color and scent. I have made 5 batches of cp soap now and am anxiously awaiting the full 4 weeks to try on my skin. I have tested them with my gloves on and love the results latherwise. Zap tested as well with no jolt, but the longer the cure the harder and milder they get!

I also have read up on the process for a long time and joined this forum about a month before I made my first batch to get more information. The best advice is to run your recipe through a lye calc and to have EVERYTHING ready and measured before you start mixing.

Last edited:
One other thing I did before I started making my first batch was to write LYE in big letters with a permanent marker on my containers that I'd be using for lye. On my pitcher that I use for mixing my water/lye solution, under the word "lye" I wrote, LYE INTO WATER. So that way as I was beginning, I wouldn't forget and accidentally pour the water into the lye.

I've only been doing this for a few weeks, so from one newbie to another, go for it! I used a combo of coconut, palm, and olive at about 30% each. The last 10% as about 6% recycled canola and 4% castor. I find soapcalc.net to be invaluable in balancing the oils to get the right mix of hard/creamy/lather, etc.

Bit of advice. Get your work area clean, uncluttered and ORGANIZED. It's really easy to forget a step...like adding the fragrance oil because you are so worried that it will solidify too quickly. You'll still have great soap if you follow the recipe, but you'll be disappointed as all crap because it won't smell nice. I got a good laugh at myself because I forgot it the first time, THEN I DID THE SAME THING THE SECOND TIME!!! grrrrrrr

If you plan to use color, one of the best tricks I have found to help with both the mess and the final product is to premix base colors (red, blue, yellow and green oxides) in small "ketchup" squirt bottles (available at Walmart in the kitchen gizmos for $1 ea.) with just enough oil to suspend them. You can use these to create the spectrum of colors just like they taught us in kindergarten (red+yellow=orange etc.) Then just store the remaining color in the bottles until you want to make another batch. If I have a specialty color like "tangerine" I still mix that one-time in just the amount I need for that day. Dissolving colors into oil for single use can make quite a colorful, greasy mess on the counter and in the sink. The bottles eliminate that almost completely. Be sure to post a pic of your results, so we can celebrate your success. Even if it's not perfect, you are learning and you'll take those lessons into the next batch.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your replies. I will see how I get on. I have been researching CP for ages but have been too afraid to take the leap. I feel more ready now. LOL

LizFlowers, Yes, I have been making melt and pour soaps for over two years but I find that fairly simple when it comes to colours and fragrances. This whole CP seems a bit daunting as there is more information I need to take in. All this stuff about gelling, fragrance oils not being stable etc etc. I'm scared about excited at the same time. If I cock up with my melt and pour I can just melt again whereas if I cock up with the CP it is a big waste of oils and butters! I can't mix my lye outdoors because I live on the 3rd floor in a block of flats. I will have to open my windows and wear something over my mouth as I have asthma and don't want to inhale anything.

Genny, that's a good tip. Can you imagine if I forgot to put the lye in? lol Yes I need to remember to add the lye to the water and not the other way round.

DWinMadison, good advice about the ketchup bottles. I will see if they sell them here in the UK in our £1 shops. I'll be sure to post pics...if you don't see any, you know it's because it didn't work out well.

I am trying to save on costs and don't want to buy the wooden soap moulds as then I have to buy the paper to line them and take the time to line them. I have a Crafter's Choice silicone soap loaf mould that I managed to get here in the UK. I will see how I get on with that and if I like it I will order more from the USA. They don't sell Crafter's Choice here...I was lucky to get that one off an eBay seller here but they don't sell them anymore. Does anyone else use the Crafter's Choice Loaf Mould for CP soap?

ce oils not being stable etc etc. I'm scared about excited at the same time. If I cock up with my melt and pour I can just melt again whereas if I cock up with the CP it is a big waste of oils and butters!

Not necassarily. If it's a bit off in someway, many times you can throw it back in the pot and cook it down some more in a process called hot process. If the soap can be salvaged it will set up and be ready to use as soon as it is cooled down. Many soapers use hot process as their preference for a variety of reasons, so don't assume that if something didn't work the first time, it can't be saved.

There's a recent thread on here with mold ideas on the cheap! Check that out for some frugal options!

Really it's not bad at all! You will love doing it!

Zap tested as well with no jolt, but the longer the cure the harder and milder they get!

Question here. They say to cure soap 4-6 weeks. But since soap shrinks as it cures, it makes sense it would just keep shrinking until it's totally dehydrated. At what point is soap actually cured and stable in size and properties?

Melstan775 & LizFlowers... thank you for your replies. I have just checked out the thread on moulds. It is very useful :smile:

Melstan775 Thank you for the info about salvaging soaps! :lol:

The best advise I have for your first few batches is to keep it simple. My first several batches used the simplest recipes I could find and the colors and scents where ones I could find locally, not FOs or EOs, just those at the local craft shop. I wanted to make sure I knew the process first before I used expensive add-ins. I found that organizing my area, measuring my oils and checking each one off my list helped make sure that I had everything and didn't leave anything out or double up on anything. Keep good notes so you can ID what went right or wrong. And rebatching, though not fun, saves those batches that don't turn out, but if you go carefully you probably won't need to do that until you get more experienced and make a real goof-up.

Back