10% honey fixes cracking soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone! Happy New Year!

I finally have the time to share the results of my attempt to fix cracked soap:
1704100247503-jpeg.75809.jpeg

The problem was that it was made with too many hard oils.

As discussed in this other thread (10% Honey - Help finding a thread) using a lot of sugars has the opposite effect, of making soap soft.

So I did an experiment with the original recipe (40% cocoa butter, 30% coconut oil, 30% shea; 5% SF; 1:2.2 lye:water) and added:
- 2.5% of the batter weight in honey
- 5% honey
- and 10% honey

IMG_9145.jpeg

(This photo is from when they were first unmolded)
Now, I have tested all of them for a week or so, and even the 10% honey is a perfectly hard bar of soap, and so far none of them have cracked!

The biggest difference between the amounts is obviously color, with the 10% being a nice caramel. But also the fragrance of the honey comes through with that much honey!

So moral of the story, you can fix a really hard bar of soap with high amounts of sugar, or vice versa you can use stupid amounts of sugar if you make an excessively hard soap recipe.

I just highly recommend moving fast once you add the honey, and using cavity molds to avoid overheating.

This is the soapcalc info:
IMG_1170.jpeg

I’m curious how good of lather you had with that much honey.
It was sufficient but not exceptional.
IMG_1176.jpeg

The one with 2.5% honey had better lather; I’d say it’s not a “more is more” relationship between lather and sugars. I’d mostly put that much honey just for the color and to contrast excessive hardness.

So cool - thanks for sharing this! I believe @Jorah was doing some high-honey-soap experiments, as well, so it will be interesting if he chimes in to compare notes.
Yup, I have a bunch of honey bars I have been curing for 6+ months now; time to see how they lather. I'll try to do some tests this weekend; maybe that will break me out of my soap anhedonia mood.

Yup, I have a bunch of honey bars I have been curing for 6+ months now; time to see how they lather. I'll try to do some tests this weekend; maybe that will break me out of my soap anhedonia mood.
Looking forward to seeing some lather pics!

Very curious as well!
Thanks for the experiments!

Latest posts

Back